Josh Doctson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
If the Rams don't trade up they aren't getting Goff or Wentz and I am souring on Lynch at 15 if he's there.

So what are other ways the Rams could fix the offense at 15?

I think Doctson should be in that conversation.

1. Doctson tested as the most athletic receiver at combine impressively testing 93.7 percentile athletically among all NFL WRs. http://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/wr/
2. He graded as PFFs top College WR. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/29/draft-pff-scouting-report-josh-doctson-wr-tcu/
3. His game tape is just as good if not better than Treadwell's. http://draftbreakdown.com/players/josh-doctson
4. Reminds me of Deandre Hopkins. Has a similar skill set coming from a spread offense in college.
5. Number one receiver mentality- had record breaking numbers corralling Trevone Boykin's erratic passes when everyone knew he was the number one threat.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The big guy from Stanford is 4. He's worth a look. WR/TE hybrid. Those are tough to deal with and our offense could use one of those.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im a big Doctson fan but I don't know about at 15 and over Lynch

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Im a big Doctson fan but I don't know about at 15 and over Lynch

This for me too. I think Doctson is the best receiver in the class, but it would be tough to pass on a high upside QB, like Lynch. However, if Lynch is gone would Doctson round 1, then bpa followed by Prescott or Allen be so bad?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Doctson is a stud. Good enough size/speed at 6'2" and 4.5 forty, but what makes him special are his hands, catch radius and body control.

Key question for me is which combo is better for the team:

Doctson + Prescott/Doughty/Driskel/etc
or
Lynch + Boyd/Caroo/Wilson/etc

Long term having that high ceiling QB is probably the way to go in my estimation.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Doctson is a stud. Good enough size/speed at 6'2" and 4.5 forty, but what makes him special are his hands, catch radius and body control.

Key question for me is which combo is better for the team:

Doctson + Prescott/Doughty/Driskel/etc
or
Lynch + Boyd/Caroo/Wilson/etc

Long term having that high ceiling QB is probably the way to go in my estimation.
I gotta say lynch and boyd is by far the better of those options

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interesting coincidence with him on Sirius tonight. Didn't know his Mom was a big wig at the school nor did I know his story. Looked up the story below, but I'll add this is a great kid. Humble, respectful, his Mom did a great job with him:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/how-tcus-josh-doctson-went-from-walk-on-to-preseason-all-conference

By: Dan Wolken | August 10, 2015 8:29 am

Of the 41 states in the union that have a Football Bowl Subdivision team within their borders, none have more than Texas.

For the next 12 days, as teams nationwide dig into preseason drills, USA TODAY Sports’ college football reporters are traversing the state of Texas and visiting each of its one dozen FBS programs. Presenting Two Weeks in Texas …

Day 1: TCU

FORT WORTH — Tracy Syler-Jones knew when she told her son that his grandfather was terminally ill, his impulse would be to come home. As much as Josh Doctson had thrived his first year at the University of Wyoming, maturing in his new surroundings and proving he could play college football despite receiving only two scholarship offers out of high school, Syler-Jones struggled even telling him what their family was facing.

“He was doing so well and he’s always been big about family, so my agreement with him was it would be his responsibility to find the school he wanted to go to,” Syler-Jones said. “I told him, ‘You’ve got to figure it out. You’ve got to figure out what the next step is.’ ”

When TCU opens the season Sept. 3 at Minnesota, Doctson will line up as the No. 1 receiver for the nation’s No. 2-ranked team, trying to earn all-Big 12 honors for a second consecutive year. And he’ll be doing it at the school that gave both he and his mother a chance when they needed a place to land.

TWO WEEKS IN TEXAS: Three things to know about TCU

“I never realized how much he had a desire to play for TCU,” Syler-Jones said. “I learned over time that was a dream of his, and I think he values it even more because he went away and came back and it had a special place in his heart and he worked hard to get where he is.”

cxx_josh_a_10_75036468.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

So did Syler-Jones, who is now the vice chancellor for marketing and communications at TCU with an office in the center of campus that allows Doctson to drop by for a hug whenever he wants.

But it wasn’t such a storybook situation back in 2000 when Syler-Jones, then an unemployed mother of two young boys, moved to Texas to be closer to her family and look for a job. She found one in the marketing department at TCU but faced plenty of challenges along the way.

“I was the sole breadwinner and had two children who were dependent on me, so I had to make career choices that ensured I was able to provide for my children,” she said. “They didn’t have exactly what their friends might have, in a home where there was a mother and a father, and there was guilt associated with that from time to time, but I couldn’t have ended up in a better place.”

Being around TCU also gave Doctson an opportunity to see the Horned Frogs’ football program up close as it was growing into a national power. He was even one of the “Bleacher Creatures,” a tradition at TCU where young kids sprint from one end of the field to other at home games when the team comes out of the tunnel.

But when Doctson started thinking seriously about playing college football, TCU — and pretty much every other school — ignored him.

“You’d like to (recruit him), but you just … he wasn’t overly fast at the time, and there’s a lot of people who can run in Texas,” Horned Frogs coach Gary Patterson said. “Nobody else was recruiting him either.”

usp_ncaa_football__texas_tech_at_texas_christian_68268960.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

Even though he was slight of build and didn’t possess head-turning speed, Doctson showed he could play immediately at Wyoming, catching 35 balls for 393 yards — including a touchdown against TCU in 2011 while being defended by Jason Verrett, who went on to be a first-round NFL draft pick in 2014.

“Just being on the field (against TCU) was an accomplishment in itself,” Doctson said. “And I understood I could be on the field with those guys.”

When he decided to leave Wyoming, however, Doctson thought he would have to play at a smaller school closer to home like North Texas or Texas State. Then a phone conversation with Horned Frogs receivers coach Rusty Burns to check in on his plans turned into an offer to walk on at TCU, where Doctson was eligible for reduced tuition as the son of an employee.

Once he came back, TCU saw what it missed in the first place.

“He’s very serious about football,” Patterson said. “He’s smart player, on and off the field. He has an unbelievable drive to be great. So the things that you don’t always see, you found out when he came back and walked on and you’re like, I’m sure glad he came back.”

Though Doctson produced in 2013 after sitting out a year, catching 36 passes and four touchdowns during TCU’s 4-8 season, it wasn’t until after spring practice last year that he was put on scholarship. That was also the time when TCU overhauled its offense, installing the up-tempo spread attack that allowed Dotson to build even more of a connection with quarterback Trevone Boykin.

bg19_josh_doctson02_121514_67221794.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

“He showed great ball skills and body control, played the football really well in the air, so we thought, hey he has a chance to help us and he just continued to gain confidence,” co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie said.

Still, when Doctson wrote down his goals for the 2014 season, they were much smaller than the reality: 65 receptions, 1018 yards, 11 touchdowns and all-conference honors for a team that went 12-1 and nearly made the inaugural College Football Playoff.

Subsequently, scouting services have identified him as a potential early-round NFL draft pick next spring because of his hands, route-running and ability to go up and get balls that seem impossible to catch. In the span of two years, he could go from paying his own way at TCU to earning millions.

“I just try to keep the same mentality of a dude that had to work for a scholarship here,” he said. “I feel like when I’m that person, I’m at my best. To be a guy that sees a potential future on the next level, is it the right way to think? I’m new to this. I’ve never been in this position, so I’m just playing ball like I’ve been doing when I wasn’t on scholarship. It really helps me play better and play hard every play and whatever comes after is a blessing.”

1.6kSHARES
TWEET