Jonathan Cooper misses first day of training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Kent Somers
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/kentsomers/2013/07/26/jonathan-cooper-misses-first-day-of-training-camp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/kents ... ning-camp/</a>

[hilite]The Cardinals and the agent for guard Jonathan Cooper are past the negotiation stage. There is no middle ground. For Cooper to sign and start practice, it’s going to require one side giving in. And that’s not going to be the Cardinals.[/hilite]

Cooper’s four-year contract will be worth around $14.5 million, including a $10 million signing bonus. That’s not the issue. The Cardinals have agreed to provide the maximum amount of money allowed, according to an NFL source, in the form of workout bonuses and such.

The hangup is over an “offset” that would protect the team financially in the event Cooper was cut at some point and picked up by another team. That’s not likely to happen, but stranger things have occurred.

It works something likes this. Let’s say Cooper was scheduled to make $1 million in the final year of the deal. But the Cardinals cut him and another team picked him and agreed to pay him $800,000. Without offset language, Cooper could collect both salaries, $1.8 million, because the $1 million is guaranteed.

If you work for a team, you call that “double dipping.” If you’re an agent or a player, you call that a team living up to its commitment to “guarantee” the contract.

With offset language, the Cardinals would pay just $200,000. Cooper still gets the $1 million guaranteed under his first contract; the money would just come from two teams.

Cooper, the fifth overall pick, is one of only three first-round picks who haven’t signed. Some first-round picks signed deals with offset language, others didn’t. The first, third, fourth and sixth selections have offset language in their deals.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That seems like a stupid thing to refuse to sign over. I'm sure its Cooper's agent, but I would probably tell him to stop being stupid.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One interesting note about the AZ Cardinals training camp this year...its been moved from Northern AZ(Flagstaff) down to the sweltering heat of the Cardinals facility in Glendale...and yes...there is humidity down here during the summer. Its been held in Flagstaff for the last 20 years.

IMO this could be a factor and an adjustment for the players. The move was done so that fans didn't have to make the 3 hr drive North(and for cost reasons too,obviously,but many fans looked forward to making the trip to the much cooler weather in Flagstaff. I'm thinking the players might be thinking the same thing right about now.

High temp in Flagstaff today 77F
High in Phoenix today 102F
:cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
mojorizen7 said:
High temp in Flagstaff today 77F
High in Phoenix today 102F
:cool:
Daaannnng!

Sent via Tapatalk2.

jjab360

Legend
I'd be curious to see which player's agents were able to get out of the offset language. It seems like something that should be mandatory one way or the other, tbh.

Either way, if it hurts the Cardinals, it's fine by me. :bg:

DeaconJ

Rookie
I'd drive 10 hrs to get out of that hell-hole of Phoenix in the summer. I used to do business there and I don't care to go back. BTW it's 102 where I live today, but it's a dry heat.......LOL. :lmao:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
DeaconJ said:
I'd drive 10 hrs to get out of that hell-hole of Phoenix in the summer. I used to do business there and I don't care to go back. BTW it's 102 where I live today, but it's a dry heat.......LOL. :lmao:
40+ summers here bro. I cant wait to get the fuck out.
Snowbirds and East coast transfers love it here and i can understand that,but there's no reason to live in a dry desert your whole life.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
We've had one of the best summers for years over here. Absolutely beautiful weather, and the hottest it's been in the whole damn country was 90. Up in the north where I am it on hit about 84-85 at its peak... And even that was too hot for me!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Nods knowingly.
The Cardinals always have been a team that manged to shoot themselves in the foot,get to the SB lose at the end with the QB who was the best move they EVER made and then don't realize they need to protect him above all ,ABOVE ALL, so he retires cuz he wants to recognize his grandchildren.
I always laugh when people predict their success,they hired a good coach, but hell they fired one just as good and expect that sideways move to improve things.
FWIW I think they expect Carson Palmer to be their latter day Kurt Warner and while he has a lot of talent, it was heart and football character that made Kurt,he played to win regardless how he looked Palmer has a touch of pettiness that'll be the downfall.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is something the NFL needs to fix in the offseason. The rookie slotting system is awesome,... but the holdout by this player is BS.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
When will the Cards get it? What's their glaring weakness?? O-line, so what do we do, dig in our heels on something as meaningless as offset language. Seems a pretty easy question to answer, "Did you draft a player that you don't anticipate on cutting sometime in the next four years?" Damn I hope so.

Their only chance is keeping Palmer upright for 14 games. He'll be hitting the deck during two for sure :twisted: why the hell wouldn't you give the kid what he wants? PFT claims there are whispers of collusion, I'd buy that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not like one rookie OG was gonna magically fix their OL.

Arizona seems to do a lot of dumb shit...trading for and giving Kevin Kolb an insane extension, trading away Anquan Boldin, trying older QBs, signing older guys (Joey Porter, John Abraham, Eric Winston, etc) and now this.