Jonah Williams is not just back, he’s breaking out for the LA Rams D

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
by Bret Stuter3 hours ago Follow @milroyigglesfan https://ramblinfan.com/2022/07/17/j...ly&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email
The saga of undrafted players who find their niche on the LA Rams may be an oft-told tale. But the truth of the matter is that it is simply not as common in the NFL as the Rams organization makes it look. And perhaps the most successful unit of the team is the LA Rams defensive line.

During the 2021 NFL season, the team fielded three players out of a total of eight who never heard their names called out during an NFL Draft: Marquise Copeland (2019), Michael Hoecht (2020), and Jonah Williams (2020).

In perhaps one of the more unusual career tracks, Williams was signed to the LA Rams roster in 2020 after the 2020 NFL Draft and was parked on the practice squad for the 2020 NFL season. He returned to the team in 2021 and made the active 53-man roster. In fact, he saw playing time if the first eight games of the season.

Unfortunately, the team needed to open a roster spot, necessitating a need to waive Williams. Almost immediately thereafter, Williams was signed by the Minnesota Vikings. But Williams did not pass his physical, was subsequently released by the Vikings, and cleared NFL waivers.

RELATED STORY

Los Angeles Rams: 30 greatest players in franchise history​

Read now >>

Jonah Williams just wants to play​

The Rams resigned Williams to their practice squad, and he remains with the team to this day. But what does his 2022 NFL season look like? Well, let’s review his 2021 NFL season.

• Player Snaps Tackles Sacks QB Hits
    Aaron Donald 1,041 84 12.5 25
    Greg Gaines 780 55 4.5 13
    A’Shawn Robinson 516 67 2.0 2
    Sebastian Joseph Day 341 38 3.0 5
    Marquise Copeland 108 10 0.0 0
    Michael Hoecht 110 7 0.0 0
    Bobby Brown III 22 1 0.0 0
    Jonah Williams 96 5 0.0 0
    Totals 3,014 267 22.0 45
Williams showed flashes of potential in 2021, a carryover from a solid preseason in which he recorded 11 tackles and 1.5 quarterback sacks in three games. Of course, in preseason games, players are platooned rapidly to give everyone a solid sampling for coaches to view and evaluate to determine who warrants remaining on the roster, who needs to develop on the practice squad, and who will need to find a new opportunity to play down the road.

So what about Jonah Williams leads me to believe that Williams is ready to break out this season? The 6-foot-5 275-pound defensive lineman is back for his third season for the Rams, a year when many defensive linemen begin to make their serious push for more playing time. His size and style of play will remind you of another undrafted former defensive end from the LA Rams, Morgan Fox, who has signed on with the LA Chargers.

An unnamed source who is close to the Rams and who is in a position to have relevant insight has indicated that Williams is showing significant progress this year and that the Rams defense is expecting big things from him. That fits with his current development and falls in line with many players who have made the leap from an undrafted player into the Rams’ defensive line rotation.

Will Williams make the leap this year? I think he will do more than show up. He showed signs in 2021 of making the jump. This year I believe he will remove all doubt, and step up in a big way.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It's good to hear that Williams, Copeland and B Brown have looked good so far, hoping these guys can get AD and the rest of the D-line starters more rest during the long season

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's good to hear that Williams, Copeland and B Brown have looked good so far, hoping these guys can get AD and the rest of the D-line starters more rest during the long season
Only after AD gets his 24. Sacks this year, before n those other guys sub for him….

Ram65

Legend
I've been rooting for both Michael Hoecht (2020), and Jonah Williams (2020). I was more on the Williams side as a potential solid pass rusher. Glad he is back to compete. Low-round picks and UDFA is a big part of the Rams formula for success. looking forward to camp battles.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I have liked Jonah Williams' skill-set for the past two years; and had my fingers crossed. However, he is going to turn 27 before the season starts.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I like that they develop guys, but I'm not counting on this one too much.
Copeland clearly took a jump past the other developmental guys last year, landing just behind B Brown on the depth chart, imo.
It'll be a fight between Hoecht and Williams for that last spot, most likely.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
by Bret Stuter3 hours ago Follow @milroyigglesfan https://ramblinfan.com/2022/07/17/j...ly&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email The saga of undrafted players who find their niche on the LA Rams may be an oft-told tale. But the truth of the matter is that it is simply not as common in the NFL as the Rams organization makes it look. And perhaps the most successful unit of the team is the LA Rams defensive line. During the 2021 NFL season, the team fielded three players out of a total of eight who never heard their names called out during an NFL Draft: Marquise Copeland (2019), Michael Hoecht (2020), and Jonah Williams (2020). In perhaps one of the more unusual career tracks, Williams was signed to the LA Rams roster in 2020 after the 2020 NFL Draft and was parked on the practice squad for the 2020 NFL season. He returned to the team in 2021 and made the active 53-man roster. In fact, he saw playing time if the first eight games of the season. Unfortunately, the team needed to open a roster spot, necessitating a need to waive Williams. Almost immediately thereafter, Williams was signed by the Minnesota Vikings. But Williams did not pass his physical, was subsequently released by the Vikings, and cleared NFL waivers. RELATED STORY

Los Angeles Rams: 30 greatest players in franchise history​

Read now >>

Jonah Williams just wants to play​

The Rams resigned Williams to their practice squad, and he remains with the team to this day. But what does his 2022 NFL season look like? Well, let’s review his 2021 NFL season.
  • Player Snaps Tackles Sacks QB Hits Aaron Donald 1,041 84 12.5 25 Greg Gaines 780 55 4.5 13 A’Shawn Robinson 516 67 2.0 2 Sebastian Joseph Day 341 38 3.0 5 Marquise Copeland 108 10 0.0 0 Michael Hoecht 110 7 0.0 0 Bobby Brown III 22 1 0.0 0 Jonah Williams 96 5 0.0 0 Totals 3,014 267 22.0 45
Williams showed flashes of potential in 2021, a carryover from a solid preseason in which he recorded 11 tackles and 1.5 quarterback sacks in three games. Of course, in preseason games, players are platooned rapidly to give everyone a solid sampling for coaches to view and evaluate to determine who warrants remaining on the roster, who needs to develop on the practice squad, and who will need to find a new opportunity to play down the road. So what about Jonah Williams leads me to believe that Williams is ready to break out this season? The 6-foot-5 275-pound defensive lineman is back for his third season for the Rams, a year when many defensive linemen begin to make their serious push for more playing time. His size and style of play will remind you of another undrafted former defensive end from the LA Rams, Morgan Fox, who has signed on with the LA Chargers. An unnamed source who is close to the Rams and who is in a position to have relevant insight has indicated that Williams is showing significant progress this year and that the Rams defense is expecting big things from him. That fits with his current development and falls in line with many players who have made the leap from an undrafted player into the Rams’ defensive line rotation. Will Williams make the leap this year? I think he will do more than show up. He showed signs in 2021 of making the jump. This year I believe he will remove all doubt, and step up in a big way.
I like that they develop guys, but I'm not counting on this one too much. Copeland clearly took a jump past the other developmental guys last year, landing just behind B Brown on the depth chart, imo. It'll be a fight between Hoecht and Williams for that last spot, most likely.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've like Williams since he was a rookie. He's got speed (4.6) and strength. He came in painfully raw but he's flashed. When he was a rookie he was open to a position change and I saw him at TE with his speed and hands (showed his ability to catch at his pro day). If he improves his technique beyond a simple bullrush he could be a good option as a rotational DE. They need to keep him on the active roster because he has shown improvement every year. He's the kind of player you want for rotational depth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's made significant progress in impressing the Rams with offseason workouts. But thankfully pads come on soon and we will see if that buzz remains. Hope it does. Depth already took a hit with Brown's suspensiion.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
27!!!

Cut that geezer immediately!!!
Like I said, I like Williams' skill-set. Last year, I had a bunch of emotions for a DL that had one solo tackle.

Happy when he made the 53 last year. Recently re-watched the Week 2 Colts' game, and Williams played well in limited back-up snaps. Disappointed when Williams was waived in early-November, guessing the Rams were hoping to then re-sign him to the Practice Squad. Very disappointed when the Vikings picked him-up off waivers, not allowing the Rams to re-sign him. Happy again when Minnesota waived him (failed physical), and the Rams did bring him back to the Practice Squad.

However, the Rams did go with Marquise Copeland over Hoecht, Williams and both Browns late last year; and Copeland is two years younger than Williams.

There just are not many DL that start to contribute at age 27. I hope Williams is an exception.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does Jonah Williams fit this defense?

DC Morris/Henderson sure is in bad need of an additional DL'er with pass-rushing abilities. So the path would seem to be wide open for JH, now entering his 3rd Ram TC. As mentioned posted above JW is a mature 27 yr old whose time has come to either shine or fade away.

I would guess that his present assigned task in TC by coach Henderson is to demonstrate that JW can consistently deliver QB pressure when on the field as a reserve from the 3 tech & 5 tech DL positions in the pass prevention defenses. The DL Bobby Brown 6 gm suspension takes a large amount of pressure off JW.

BB needs to use his absence from the team during that 6 weeks to get his young body in the best condition possible BB clearly appeared to have slipped since his rookie season in his body conditioning.:not::(

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
BB needs to use his absence from the team during that 6 weeks to get his young body in the best condition possible BB clearly appeared to have slipped since his rookie season in his body conditioning.
Yeah hopefully when he does return we feel him out there immediately. But year two so he should be ready to go once that six weeks is over.

I'm looking forward to watching Hoecht as well in preseason. He has a little rush ability to him which is nice with those interior types. Preseason for me is going to be about the DL, secondary, and TE. Lot of sorting to go with those groups it's gonna be a fun build up to the season. :thumbsup1: