Jon Gruden changes tone on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Billicheat has more than proven that he doesn't need a HOF QB to win games in the NFL. In fact he has won so many games with nobody QBs that you have to doubt Brady's ability to win if he was on a different team.
Actually, what has been proven is that Brady is a cheater and they can win consistently without him.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Gruden was a good coach, but that doesn't make him "Mr. Know-It-All." Because he uses football lingo many value his opinion and look to him a the most knowledgeable guy. He is nothing short of annoying. It's really hard listening to him during games. This is typical four-letter network propaganda by stirring the pot. To Mr. Gruden, "Do your homework before you provide your 'knowledge' to everyone."

Shoman01

Rookie
Goff just isn't good enough yet. That's a amazing thing, based on the fact he was the overall #1 pick, and the team hasn't scored a touchdown in the 1st 2 games.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How’s he getting better if he’s not getting all the reps?
this part of Gruden statement, as an ex-player/coach, I totally agree with...I've seen some comments about Mannion...can't even remember what he looked like last year...But as I really watched the Minnesota preseason game, he has some serious flaws...esp. downfield throws...
You gotta play to improve...

Billicheat has more than proven that he doesn't need a HOF QB to win games in the NFL. In fact he has won so many games with nobody QBs that you have to doubt Brady's ability to win if he was on a different team.
Actually, what has been proven is that Brady is a cheater and they can win consistently without him.
I kinda agree...but lets see all these pumped up career backups in the playoffs...Not calling Grappolo a backup (well, I did :whistle:) but lets see some heat on him...they still shoulda lost the Az game...but he was on fire the game he was injured. Brissett did just enough to win...I haven't seen a Brady-type...2006 till now Brady....yet...The Brady that beat us in 2002..that guy was average...below average...but this guy now is a machine...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can't agree with this Amitar. I don't watch film on other teams besides the Rams, but when I see Britt being ignored in man with nobody over the top in order to throw an INT intended for Tavon, and even worse see that Britt is open rather quickly on that play, it's a "where and when" you get the ball there problem. There have been plenty of fan clips put forth on this site and others that demonstrate poor decision making at the QB position, or late throws where the WR/TE would have been open and able to do something if it had been on time and accurate.

At this point I am hoping game one Case had opening season jitters being the guy at last. Then faced a top defense in Seattle that makes many good QBs look bad. This Bucs game it's gonna have to be different by halftime or there's a reasonable chance Case will sit in the second half and Goff gets his first look. I don't think Fish wants to do that with Arizona next week, but he really doesn't have a choice.

If and when the QB position starts dealing the ball correctly we will be able to have a better idea of the other parts of this offense.
There is no QB and has never been a QB that sees every open receiver on every play and makes those throws every time. Hopefully Keenum will continue to progress as the year goes on and we don't see a knee jerk reaction. As far as not having a choice that's naive, there are plenty of options including having faith that your team is going to play better. This isn't a game that is won or lost solely by the QB.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Gruden said RGIII and Krapernick were going to be hall of famers so there's that. Screw him he doesn't know crap about the Rams

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'll start when Fisher thinks he should and no one knows when that will be, not even Fisher himself.
That's a scary thought.
Fisher may not be willing to share it, but he had better have a plan and a very good idea when Goff will get in there.
Whether Gruden flip flopped or not, his point is valid, Goff isn't going to get any better if he's not getting snaps. He's not going to get better by osmosis

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There is no QB and has never been a QB that sees every open receiver on every play and makes those throws every time. Hopefully Keenum will continue to progress as the year goes on and we don't see a knee jerk reaction. As far as not having a choice that's naive, there are plenty of options including having faith that your team is going to play better. This isn't a game that is won or lost solely by the QB.

Most NFL QBs see the WR lined up with no safety over the top. Difference between those who succeed and those who don't is they properly diagnose and then make that throw.

If and when the Rams get good QB play we will see what our other problems are.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bottom line is the Rams traded away a lot of top picks for a QB to get them over the top and now it looks like they picked the wrong guy . PERIOD

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
My assumption is that since Gruden is an offense guy, and a QB guy, he's speaking from his own experience and his general knowledge of how practice and second string QBs get work in practice in the league. I think it's a good insight into what usually happens. It may not apply, but if an offensive/QB guy says second string QBs don't get the practice they need to really prep for games, I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bottom line is the Rams traded away a lot of top picks for a QB to get them over the top and now it looks like they picked the wrong guy . PERIOD
How would anyone see that? He hasn't been on the field yet because he isn't ready yet. That is not the same thing as him never developing into a legitimate NFL QB or possibly even a superstar.

Revisit it in 5 years and he will have had enough time to evaluate. 2 games into his rookie year and you don't have enough information on him or anyone else.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
How would anyone see that? He hasn't been on the field yet because he isn't ready yet. That is not the same thing as him never developing into a legitimate NFL QB or possibly even a superstar.

Revisit it in 5 years and he will have had enough time to evaluate. 2 games into his rookie year and you don't have enough information on him or anyone else.
^This^ .......;) Way too early.....and to be honest....and it's just my opinion. ... but I am sick of the negative tone cast over the coverage of this team.....so much so that I believe it is leaking down through the fan base....It's just 2 games.

Go Rams......... ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, okay, since you said PERIOD and all, I guess that's that. :(

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Even though I liked Wentz a little better in the draft I'm not ready to say that they picked the wrong guy, yet. They definitely picked the wrong guy if they wanted him playing this year though.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, I don't know about all that. One could argue that getting lucky with Tom Brady is all he really needed to do. It's like saying Vermeil knows how to develop QBs because Kurt Warner fell in his lap. I mean, Bellyfat did struggle with Tomczak, Testaverde, Kosar and Bledsoe before that. He couldn't turn those guys into anything more than they already were. And Fisher did okay with a guy named McNair. Did he develop him? You'd have to say yes, if we're using that kind of logic. Truthfully though, he just benefited by drafting a talented QB. Using Cassel as some sort of proof that he knows what he's doing is disingenuous, IMO. Cassel didn't light up the league that year, despite having an in-his-prime Wes Welker and Randy Moss. He had the kind of season you'd expect someone like Sam Bradford to have. The only difference being, the REST of his team did enough to turn that kind of stat-line into a winning season.

See, I respectfully disagree. McNair was always a playmaker more than a pocket passer that benefitted from the ground and pound philosophy of Fisher, the durability of Eddie George and the ability of guys like Dyson to create.

Maybe we're talking about different things. When I say "develop a QB" what I mean is to take a college QB or a journeyman QB with raw talent and develop that talent into a pure NFL thrower...a guy who delivers the ball when it matters. McNair never became that. I don't hold that against him cuz that's not what Fisher asked him to do and it's not what nearly won them a Super Bowl...but...he wasn't a pure thrower in that sense. And it's possible to be that AND be mobile. I'm not saying purity lies in the pocket.

So, for all the antipathy for Belichick, I think Matt Cassell's season is undervalued, Brady's development is GROSSLY underestimated and people forget how well Bledsoe was playing prior to his injury and Brady taking over. That was in no small part...Belichick. I don't like giving him much credit, but credit where it's due. Also, under Belichick, Testaverde had his best years and revived his career toward the end. It made some wonder if he'd had that all along, "what could have been?" And that staff in Cleveland (what became Baltimore) essentially was a soon to be All-Star cast of coaching that was on the cusp of getting a ton of things right.

And honestly, looking at this disaster of an offensive scheme and the complete lack of development of ANY of the QBs under Fisher's watch since he came to the Rams, even if we "gave him McNair", which I'm not want to do, even if we did... and? I'm not sure how that helps him in 2016 with two young QBs who he and his staff seem to have no idea how to develop.

I can tell you that under this CBA, you've got to be a stone idiot to spend a 7th round pick to trade for a guy as your backup and THEN use up a ton of reps having him and another guy fight over the damn backup job, thereby ensuring that the rookie you spent the 3rd round pick on gets virtually zero reps. That...is head-shakingly idiotic and I just can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking. They knew Keenum. They wanted him. They Traded for him. But they still wanted him to earn the backup job enough to NOT develop their rookie???? Who, at the time may have been the future if Nick Foles didn't work out?

I'm just not buying it. And even if it were given to me, I wouldn't take it. Cuz like I said, even if I just acquiesce on McNair, it doesn't change anything about Fisher's Rams tenure which is what concerns me. And his decisions, especially in the last few seasons have been just...bad with respect to the QB position. Downright bad.