Jon Gruden changes tone on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
After hearing Jon Gruden right before the season opener he predicted Goff would need 4-5 weeks into the regular season to start and now he's changing his mind? wow this takes another media drama spin....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-quarterbacks-winston-20160922-snap-story.html 09/22/2016

Former NFL coach Jon Gruden, color analyst for “Monday Night Football,” said there’s no way to get Goff the practice snaps he needs without naming him the starter, especially with a collective bargaining agreement that puts significant limitations on how much teams can practice.

“I think he might be best served not playing at all this year,” Gruden told The Times on Thursday. “Right now you’re going into Week 3; how many reps is he getting? Week 1 he wasn’t even active. How’s he getting better if he’s not getting all the reps?

I just can’t understand how you’re going to tell me in Week 5 he’s ready to go. Because he’s been sitting there?”

And with no Rams touchdowns so far…

“Then again,” Gruden said, “I don’t know if Case Keenum has guys running around wide open, either. I haven’t seen gaping holes for [Todd] Gurley to run through.

They’ve got a young line, I don’t know who the blocking tight end is, I don’t even know if they’ve got a fullback on their team. But they’ve got a good defense.”

For the moment, the Rams are holding their ground on Goff, arguing the hurry-up offense can wait. At 21, Goff is two years younger than Wentz.

(They point to how much another Rams quarterback, Sean Mannion, has improved with a year under his belt.) What’s more, Keenum had his best career game against the Buccaneers last season, completing 82.4% of his passes with two touchdowns and a 158.0 passer rating.

This much we know: Until the Los Angeles offense starts making some noise, the outside voices will only get louder.

In the below video Jon Gruden's Take before his change of tone on Goff. This is what Gruden said on September 7th. "Goff would need 4 or 5 weeks before he was ready to start a game".. fast forward to the 21:06 mark of the video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivcsh2HkQQ

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Doesn't seem like he knows much about this Rams team at all.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know anything about this team but this is what I think they should do. Thanks for the input coach.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Seems like he hit the nail on the head.
There are no guys running around wide open, at least not like almost every other team.
There are no holes for Gurley. It is Gurley put talent that gets him the yards he is getting.
Who is the blocking tight end? Who is the full back?
And I agree if Goff does not play he is not going to get the reps he needs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Gruden is essentially stating that he has no clue. He doesn't see how it's possible for Goff to practice with the 2's and still learn the system and read defenses, to learn how to take a snap from under Center, to learn the plays being called by his offensive coordinator. Apparently he believes Goff is also holding a clipboard during practice as well as during the games.
While Goff may not be seeing much practice time with the 1's, it certainly doesn't mean he isn't learning. New England's rookie 3'rd QB came in and won his game yesterday on a short week of practice, imagine how little time he had with the 1's up until then. The media will continue to say stupid crap until Goff actually gets in and wins a game, until this, they will invent a storyline for their viewers to make it appear there is something where there is not.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gruden is essentially stating that he has no clue. He doesn't see how it's possible for Goff to practice with the 2's and still learn the system and read defenses, to learn how to take a snap from under Center, to learn the plays being called by his offensive coordinator. Apparently he believes Goff is also holding a clipboard during practice as well as during the games.
While Goff may not be seeing much practice time with the 1's, it certainly doesn't mean he isn't learning. New England's rookie 3'rd QB came in and won his game yesterday on a short week of practice, imagine how little time he had with the 1's up until then. The media will continue to say stupid crap until Goff actually gets in and wins a game, until this, they will invent a storyline for their viewers to make it appear there is something where there is not.

Exactly. Wentz played in only the first preseason game and didn't practice with the starters until a week before the season started. He seems fine. These media talking heads are useless. Why do I love football so much that I even read what they have to say?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Seems like he hit the nail on the head.
There are no guys running around wide open, at least not like almost every other team.
There are no holes for Gurley. It is Gurley put talent that gets him the yards he is getting.
Who is the blocking tight end? Who is the full back?
And I agree if Goff does not play he is not going to get the reps he needs.
Harkey's the fullback, and the blocking tight end. Kendricks is the move tight end, but also motions as the fullback. Goff is also getting the reps he needs, because he doesn't just sit around during practice and take notes. He may not be getting the lion's share of reps with the 1's, but I'd find it very hard to believe he's getting none. Then he stated that he doesn't know if Case has receivers running around free - which would signify to me that he hasn't watched any tape. So basically he's just saying stuff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fisher stated on his weekly show earlier this week that Goff was getting reps (in practice).

jap

Legend
Why doesn't somebody put these idiots on the spot when they are spewing garbage?

Reporter: "Well, Jon, if you don't know what the hell is going on in the Rams practices, why don't you shut your pie-hole instead of providing totally useless, unsubstantiated opinions?"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why doesn't somebody put these idiots on the spot when they are spewing garbage?

Reporter: "Well, Jon, if you don't know what the hell is going on in the Rams practices, why don't you shut your pie-hole instead of providing totally useless, unsubstantiated opinions?"

Because that's what they're paid to do. People don't care if what they're saying is accurate. They just want to hear an opinion. Saying, "Well, I have no opinion because I haven't been at the practices." That won't get people to watch ESPN.

That's exactly why I don't watch ESPN. I don't care about baseless conjecture. I have no interest in hearing it. If I want to know something, I'll research it myself.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You know, I think everybody this side of the dark side of the moon knows a rookie QB benefits from reps but to say he is just sitting there is naive as hell. You don't think the kid is studying things, hitting the weight room, putting on a little weight, learning the offense at least a little by getting a few reps at practice? It's not like he's sitting in a holding cell in solitary confinement. He's being brought on slowly and cautiously, right or wrong, that's what's happening. He is only 21 by the way. I'm kinda tired of hearing it. If the Rams win the next three games, what are we going to be talking about, a Case Keenum extension?

jap

Legend
Because that's what they're paid to do. People don't care if what they're saying is accurate. They just want to hear an opinion. Saying, "Well, I have no opinion because I haven't been at the practices." That won't get people to watch ESPN.

That's exactly why I don't watch ESPN. I don't care about baseless conjecture. I have no interest in hearing it. If I want to know something, I'll research it myself.

I would so much prefer if Jon was to take a more professional approach and say something like, "I really haven't studied the Rams QB situation thoroughly enough to offer a valid opinion at this time . . . " His credibility would soar so much higher with fairly intelligent viewers.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

It sounds like Gruden is being just another Sports Reporter trying to make up a news story!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I agree with you except Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassell the year Brady was out. Matt. Cassell.

Anytime anyone tries to use NE as an analogue to our situation, I have to take a pause and remind that person that the difference is... Belichick vs Fisher.

One has an EXTRAORDINARY record developing QBs...the other has none.

Oh, and it can be argued that much of Mannion's development came from him devoting himself in the off-season physically and mentally, not in being the ignored 3rd string rookie QB last season. The idea that Fisher has done much of anything to develop Mannion is almost laughable.

But yeah, Gruden's remarks are at best the remarks of a casual observer. Granted, he's a casual observer who also is a Super Bowl winning HC, but that doesn't mean he can't make casual observations.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I can't agree with this Amitar. I don't watch film on other teams besides the Rams, but when I see Britt being ignored in man with nobody over the top in order to throw an INT intended for Tavon, and even worse see that Britt is open rather quickly on that play, it's a "where and when" you get the ball there problem. There have been plenty of fan clips put forth on this site and others that demonstrate poor decision making at the QB position, or late throws where the WR/TE would have been open and able to do something if it had been on time and accurate.

At this point I am hoping game one Case had opening season jitters being the guy at last. Then faced a top defense in Seattle that makes many good QBs look bad. This Bucs game it's gonna have to be different by halftime or there's a reasonable chance Case will sit in the second half and Goff gets his first look. I don't think Fish wants to do that with Arizona next week, but he really doesn't have a choice.

If and when the QB position starts dealing the ball correctly we will be able to have a better idea of the other parts of this offense.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thanks for the inside scoop Jon. I feel so enlightened now.

That fucker needs to just stick to making stupid pirate faces on MNF. Errrrr.... I mean clown faces.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Goff should be starting. If Fisher thinks scoring 4.5 points a game is a recipe to reach the playoffs he is kidding himself. If the team continues on this course they are never getting there and it essentially ends up being a lost year for Goff who could be learning on the job.

I admit that I don't know what is going on in practice, but I believe that Goff should have been playing with the starters in training camp and getting as close to ready as he could be and then started the season. Can he really be any worse than 4.5 points a game? He wont learn without real reps. He will be a year removed from live action if he doesn't play this year. That sounds like a step back to me.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
More "back and forth" on Goff. really getting old. He'll start when Fisher thinks he should and no one knows when that will be, not even Fisher himself.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with you except Belichick went 11-5 with Matt Cassell the year Brady was out. Matt. Cassell.

Anytime anyone tries to use NE as an analogue to our situation, I have to take a pause and remind that person that the difference is... Belichick vs Fisher.

One has an EXTRAORDINARY record developing QBs...the other has none.
Yeah, I don't know about all that. One could argue that getting lucky with Tom Brady is all he really needed to do. It's like saying Vermeil knows how to develop QBs because Kurt Warner fell in his lap. I mean, Bellyfat did struggle with Tomczak, Testaverde, Kosar and Bledsoe before that. He couldn't turn those guys into anything more than they already were. And Fisher did okay with a guy named McNair. Did he develop him? You'd have to say yes, if we're using that kind of logic. Truthfully though, he just benefited by drafting a talented QB. Using Cassel as some sort of proof that he knows what he's doing is disingenuous, IMO. Cassel didn't light up the league that year, despite having an in-his-prime Wes Welker and Randy Moss. He had the kind of season you'd expect someone like Sam Bradford to have. The only difference being, the REST of his team did enough to turn that kind of stat-line into a winning season.