Jon Gruden & Bill Cowher won't be the Head coach for the Rams next year, but here's who could

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want as the Rams Head coach in 2017?

• Total voters

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For the love of Pete, can the Ken Zampese mention please stop. First off, it took Zampese forever to finally land an OC job and this year the Bengal offense has been not very good IMHO. Their defense does not give up many points, but the offense has been totally disappointing.

His Dad Ernie was one of the premier offensive coordinators in his day, his son, not so much and IMHO would be a disaster as a Head Coach....At the very minimum can we actually see if Zampese can be a good offensive coordinator, however, I don't think he'll be around for much longer because IMO, Marvin Lewis will be fired as Bengal Head Coach after the season.

And for the record I'm starting to agree with @jrry32 because Sean McVay sure looks the part, but his Dad was a much better administrator than Head Coach as John McVay's career record with the New York Football Giants was 14-23 and will be best know for overseeing the Miracle at the Meadowlands as QB Joe Pisarcik failed to hand the ball off to RB Larry Csonka in the last seconds of play and the ball was scooped up by Herman Edwards running into the endzone to win the game for Dick Vermeil and the Philadelphia Eagles and is the reason victory formation exists today.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
200.gif

I'm just going to take that as a vote for Harbaugh ... after all, LA is the entertainment capital of the world, and that^^^ is definitely entertaining ...:ROFLMAO:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm just going to take that as a vote for Harbaugh ... after all, LA is the entertainment capital of the world, and that^^^ is definitely entertaining ...:ROFLMAO:
I assumed (incorrectly) it was a public poll.
My vote went to Harbaugh, yeah. He's a twat but IMO this Rams team is just as ready to compete as the Niners team he took over and we have a better passer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For the love of Pete, can the Ken Zampese mention please stop. First off, it took Zampese forever to finally land an OC job and this year the Bengal offense has been not very good IMHO. Their defense does not give up many points, but the offense has been totally disappointing.

Yep the dropoff from Hue Jackson to him is profound. Now, to be fair the WR departures didn't help, but at this point he looks more Schottenheimer Jr than he does Shanahan Jr.

Dude is not ready.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I assumed (incorrectly) it was a public poll.
My vote went to Harbaugh, yeah. He's a twat but IMO this Rams team is just as ready to compete as the Niners team he took over and we have a better passer.

Emphatically agree, he IS a twat, and the Rams are very ready to compete.

And edited to say, if they could pry him away from Michigan to be the Rams coach, I could get on board.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Whoever can best develop Jared Goff.

Unlike many others, I don't care if the next HC is offensive minded vs defensive minded. I just want to WIN. There's nothing wrong with making your defense the strength of your roster. You can win that way. Denver, Carolina, Seattle, and San Fran all illustrated that pretty clearly. In fact, I'd argue that keeping the defense this team's strong point might make sense for the Rams since Fisher has already put a lot of solid pieces in place on the defensive side of the ball.

The key is just to make sure - whatever your approach is - that you are competent on both offense and defense and neither unit is allowed to hold the team back. And that you don't play scared and not to lose. Fisher has failed in both regards miserably.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Without attaching any names, here is what I want. First of all, I want someone who is not necessarily an offensive guy or a defensive guy, but a HEAD COACH guy. Someone who is not totally wedded to a particular system, but instead will choose the system that best suits that team. For example, irrespective of whether Williams is retained or not at DC, I want someone that is willing to look at our defense, see it is ready to win now, and who decides to keep the system we have in place. I want a guy that will delegate and let his coordinators do their thing.

I also want someone who has a winner's mentality and a some freakin' courage with regard to offense and will hire a coordinator who reflects that philosophy. Not someone who wants to play it safe, who emphasizes minimizing mistakes over actually scoring. Someone who, instead of keeping the game close, would rather build a comfortable lead that takes the other team out of their gameplan, and then tell the defense to pin their ears back and go play ping-pong with the opposing QB being the ball.

The offensive philosophy doesn't have to be Martz-level aggressive, but it most definitely has to be more aggressive than what we've seen around here for the past 5 years. I want someone who is just as willing to use the pass to set up the run as the reverse.

Now that being said, while I mentioned I didn't want someone wedded to a particular system, I would like someone who would either implement the Coryell system or the EP (Erhardt-Perkins) system - the latter beginning to fascinate me more and more, given its simplicity in playcalls (which facilitates easy communication) and its versatility. I found out recently that the Cowboys switched to this system a couple of years ago, and look how well it's worked. It's worked well enough that Dak Prescott is looking like an all-Pro QB his first year. But either way, I don't want these long, overly complex playcalls which make communications harder and can really hinder both player learning and development during the installation phase, as well as making it harder to run the hurry up offense when needed.

One of the things that enabled Dick Vermiel to turn it around during his final season with the Rams is that he got good coordinators and then got the hell out of their way. That's the kind of guy I want.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I'm curious why Gruden and Cowher aren't options according to this article ? I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just wondering if there's info out there I don't know about in terms of possible coaching returns for these guys ?

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Without attaching any names, here is what I want. First of all, I want someone who is not necessarily an offensive guy or a defensive guy, but a HEAD COACH guy. Someone who is not totally wedded to a particular system, but instead will choose the system that best suits that team. For example, irrespective of whether Williams is retained or not at DC, I want someone that is willing to look at our defense, see it is ready to win now, and who decides to keep the system we have in place. I want a guy that will delegate and let his coordinators do their thing.

I also want someone who has a winner's mentality and a some freakin' courage with regard to offense and will hire a coordinator who reflects that philosophy. Not someone who wants to play it safe, who emphasizes minimizing mistakes over actually scoring. Someone who, instead of keeping the game close, would rather build a comfortable lead that takes the other team out of their gameplan, and then tell the defense to pin their ears back and go play ping-pong with the opposing QB being the ball.

The offensive philosophy doesn't have to be Martz-level aggressive, but it most definitely has to be more aggressive than what we've seen around here for the past 5 years. I want someone who is just as willing to use the pass to set up the run as the reverse.

Now that being said, while I mentioned I didn't want someone wedded to a particular system, I would like someone who would either implement the Coryell system or the EP (Erhardt-Perkins) system - the latter beginning to fascinate me more and more, given its simplicity in playcalls (which facilitates easy communication) and its versatility. I found out recently that the Cowboys switched to this system a couple of years ago, and look how well it's worked. It's worked well enough that Dak Prescott is looking like an all-Pro QB his first year. But either way, I don't want these long, overly complex playcalls which make communications harder and can really hinder both player learning and development during the installation phase, as well as making it harder to run the hurry up offense when needed.

One of the things that enabled Dick Vermiel to turn it around during his final season with the Rams is that he got good coordinators and then got the hell out of their way. That's the kind of guy I want.

Great post ! Love everything you said. Sounds like a recipe for success.

ram007

Starter
I'm curious why Gruden and Cowher aren't options according to this article ? I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just wondering if there's info out there I don't know about in terms of possible coaching returns for these guys ?

Game likely passed them by I guess.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After sitting in the booth with cushy jobs the last few years, do they still have the fire and desire it takes to be a successful coach? Are they willing to put in the long, hard hours the job demands? IDK

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
What we need is someone that can work WITH the pieces we have in place. A QB minded guy that can help DEVELOP our young QB to transcend to elite status. I don't want to see a HC come in and go back to the drawing board again, whoever it is they have to BUILD on what we have already got in our stable. I'm fed up of this perpetual "rebuilding" process. We need a HC that is so fresh that he can take us to the top of our division in year one and to a Super Bowl victory in year 3. The time for change is not in another year or two of Fisher, but now.

It might be worth finding out if any of the potential HC's are represented by Marvin Demoff?
That's the ticket right there, Demoff runs the team for Big Stan and if he goes to Stan and says I have a couple head coaching canidates out there that I feel can take our team to the next level, do I have your blessing ?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You guys should really make a run at Patricia. In large part because, along with being a Belichick disciple, he's coached both offense and defense at the NFL level.

Also because I want to see how his beard deals with SoCal heat.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You guys should really make a run at Patricia. In large part because, along with being a Belichick disciple, he's coached both offense and defense at the NFL level.

Also because I want to see how his beard deals with SoCal heat.

His name comes up a lot lately. I don't know a lot about him, but I would hope if he came here he would be more of a HC type instead of a HC who's oriented toward one side of the ball at the expense of the other (which having coached both O and D suggests it's possible). I'd also want him to largely leave our D alone instead of bringing a new scheme. On O though, I would hope he would bring in a coordinator who can run a variation of the Erhardt-Perkins scheme the Patriots have run so well for so many years with so much varying personnel. Goff could thrive in such a system. Outside of Welker and Randy Moss, the Patriots never seem to have WR's that seem all that great on paper, but they get the job done in that offense. Perhaps that's what the Rams need.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
His name comes up a lot lately. I don't know a lot about him, but I would hope if he came here he would be more of a HC type instead of a HC who's oriented toward one side of the ball at the expense of the other (which having coached both O and D suggests it's possible). I'd also want him to largely leave our D alone instead of bringing a new scheme. On O though, I would hope he would bring in a coordinator who can run a variation of the Erhardt-Perkins scheme the Patriots have run so well for so many years with so much varying personnel. Goff could thrive in such a system. Outside of Welker and Randy Moss, the Patriots never seem to have WR's that seem all that great on paper, but they get the job done in that offense. Perhaps that's what the Rams need.
He's been the Pats' D coordinator since 2012. Before that he coached a bunch of different positions, including OL - all for the Patriots. The guy is a legit genius - aeronautical engineer who worked in engineering before being hired on at New England.

I think he'd fit your hopes because he's experienced on both sides of the ball - not a lot of guys who are former offensive players working as defensive coordinators. MMQB did a great article on him today - http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/28/nfl-matt-patricia-bill-belichick-patriots-defense

Like I said in the other thread, I don't want to see him go, but he's gotta be at or near the top of any head coaching candidate list.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He's been the Pats' D coordinator since 2012. Before that he coached a bunch of different positions, including OL - all for the Patriots. The guy is a legit genius - aeronautical engineer who worked in engineering before being hired on at New England.

I think he'd fit your hopes because he's experienced on both sides of the ball - not a lot of guys who are former offensive players working as defensive coordinators. MMQB did a great article on him today - http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/28/nfl-matt-patricia-bill-belichick-patriots-defense

Like I said in the other thread, I don't want to see him go, but he's gotta be at or near the top of any head coaching candidate list.

Thanks for the link. Just read the article. As someone with an engineering background (electrical in my case) I can appreciate the way he thinks. I like the way he organizes things for film study and analyzing opponents tendencies ... seems to be way ahead of the game (and I dread the thought of him matching wits with Boras on Sunday, which seems like a mismatch on paper - in Patricia's favor of course).

Color me intrigued ...

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Would love a legit disciple from Bill Belichick. Not to mention, MP has my top vote for early HC candidates.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Thanks for the link. Just read the article. As someone with an engineering background (electrical in my case) I can appreciate the way he thinks. I like the way he organizes things for film study and analyzing opponents tendencies ... seems to be way ahead of the game (and I dread the thought of him matching wits with Boras on Sunday, which seems like a mismatch on paper - in Patricia's favor of course).

Color me intrigued ...
I'll be at Gillette Sunday. I hope it is a mismatch as you predict, but right now the Pats' defense is hard to predict... there is zero pass rush since they traded Jamie Collins, and they've given up big chunks of yardage through the air. Mostly it's been between the 20's - the scoring D remains good - but teams have moved almost at will against the Pats the past few weeks.