Jon Gruden & Bill Cowher won't be the Head coach for the Rams next year, but here's who could

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want as the Rams Head coach in 2017?

• Total voters

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
as a PSU fan, having Franklin up there is absurd

Agreed, doesn't seem like an NFL coach.

I expected to see an explanation of why it wont be Gruden. I think its a good possibility he leaves the booth for a HC job if its the right fit.
In fact, I find it more likely he leaves the booth before Harbaugh leaves Michigan

A few years ago there was an article saying he loves his tv gig and wouldn't give it up to coach.

Lol
Franklin had been on the hot seat in Happy Valley and most PSU fans I know are pleasantly shocked by the turnaround.

Franklin is supposed to be a good offensive mind. His offense under Donovan was horrible. So he brought in a new OC, with a completely different offense. If that guy leaves they will be back to square one on offense. Franklin is a leader, recruiter and motivator, but not an X's and O's guy that has a certain identity on offense or defense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nice write up Jake. Any reason Mike Shannahan is not on the list? I admit to not keeping up on the coaching possibilities. I generally don't until the season is actually over. Even if Fish is fired, it usually means someone takes over as interim coach, so the HC decision doesn't happen until the off season.

ram007

Starter
(Should've quoted this with my prior post)

I don't see how it doesn't make business sense.

1) Fisher's contract is expiring. They don't even have to fire him, just have to not give him a new contract.
2) The Rams are not going to win over the fan base in LA by continuing to do the same thing ... and giving Fisher a new contract is doing just that.

It was going to be a long post and I decided not to post them.

Sorry those quotes shouldn't have made it to production.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few years ago there was an article saying he loves his tv gig and wouldn't give it up to coach.
Yep, and recently he's been saying that he expects to coach again
He's still relatively young (53) and I believe him.
Don't know if its this year or not, but I don't see how he could be excluded as a candidate

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(Should've quoted this with my prior post)

I don't see how it doesn't make business sense.

1) Fisher's contract is expiring. They don't even have to fire him, just have to not give him a new contract.
2) The Rams are not going to win over the fan base in LA by continuing to do the same thing ... and giving Fisher a new contract is doing just that.
Yeah in the business of winning games, it makes total sense

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Saban had a clandestine conversation with the Giants last year. They are all mercenaries, dont kid yourself. LA under Kroenke is a dream scenerio for a great coach that wants to get paid. Stan will pay top dollar and would give complete control for at least 5 years, as we have witnessed. Add in a young roster and all of the promotional dollars in LA as well for the next coach and this may be the best job available in the past years.

I agree, and your post illustrates that the Rams are in the driver's seat when it comes to hiring a HC. Big time.

Let's go get someone that can put up some points and instill some discipline!!!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I won't even try because I don't think Fisher is out.

I will say this...I think Gruden enjoys being an analyst the booth to much to coach anymore. He also enjoys his QB camp. He stays put.

I agree. He's lost the competitive fire. No way he's willing or able to do 100 hours weeks anymore. Let alone put his "legacy" on the line. But it would be funny to see him come in, win a Superbowl, and be lauded for "winning with Jeff Fisher's team". LOL!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Franklin does not deserve to be on any NFL list. Richards same deal, he runs a simplistic Cover 2 shell for a defensive head coach, whose previous protégés have all struggled in their first head coach looks. No serious owner is going to interview either of them, unless they're only interested in satisfying minority requirements.

Shaw is the guy who will be a hot commodity this offseason, because not only is he a strong candidate by any metric but also happens to be a minority candidate.

And with the NFL staff hot coordinator types, the offensive guys are going to get all the play. They'll stack out roughly in this order of preference among owners IMO:

1. Shanahan Jr,
2. Haley
3. McDaniels
4. McVay

If McVay interviews well he could jump McDaniels rather easily, because of douche factor. Haley possibly as well, although I think right now owners love him coming off what he's done with Pittsburgh. We're gonna see another very strong showing by offensive minds due to the focus on QB development.

Then of course you have Patricia, who once again I have to admit I really like in spite of his defensive background. Genius coordinator who has studied under the Emperor in the dark arts? Yeah, hard to disregard that.

Of the former head coaches I think Shanahan Sr will be back in play for select jobs, and Jr might pass on any that his pop is interested in. Or vice versa, of course. So that might greatly affect things. Gruden I do think, like Shanny Sr, fits what Stan is looking for in a vet coach and he might agree to not touch the defense.

Cowher I think is out for good. And tbh I'm not as big a fan of him as most others seem to be.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay interviews well he could jump McDaniels rather easily, because of douche factor
I think McVay has a long way to go before getting a HC job.
He's only 30 years old, can you really trust a team to a guy who's younger than many active players?
I think the offense playing well in Washington has as much to do with Bill Callahan as it does McVay

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Then of course you have Patricia, who once again I have to admit I really like in spite of his defensive background. Genius coordinator who has studied under the Emperor in the dark arts? Yeah, hard to disregard that.
+1
Intriguing. Patricia was a LB and DB coach there, being groomed for years until promoted to DC in 2012. Their defense has maintained a top 10 ranking ever since.

Having said that, Belichick's coaching tree is a mixed bag.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think the offense playing well in Washington has as much to do with Bill Callahan as it does McVay

Man, what I wouldn't give to get him in here to coach our OL ... along with an OC willing to implement a pure power blocking scheme that suits our players strengths.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, what I wouldn't give to get him in here to coach our OL ... along with an OC willing to implement a pure power blocking scheme that suits our players strengths.
I love the idea of a Gruden/Callahan California reunion with Callahan holding the OC title.
Wauffle part of that staff too

jjab360

Legend
Harbaugh really would be ideal, and this would be a great landing spot for him. Big ego for a big town, young upcoming QB, revenge on the Whiners...

Make it happen, Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yep, and recently he's been saying that he expects to coach again
He's still relatively young (53) and I believe him.
Don't know if its this year or not, but I don't see how he could be excluded as a candidate

Either way I don't want him. He was overrated as a coach. He walked into two perfect scenarios and left both in bad standing. His players in Tampa hated him. Plus he has been out of coaching a long time. Too long for my liking.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Jim Harbaugh please. But I see Fisher coming back. :(
As both of those scenarios are impossible we need to hire the HC who will bring in the strongest staff and not just some name or has been.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
200.gif