Johnson's return stabilizes Rams' secondary --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Johnson's return stabilizes Rams' secondary
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_af16f64a-f938-5030-b1cd-99813f92ec90.html

Santa Clara, Calif • It has been more than two months in the making, but cornerback Trumaine Johnson finally saw his first game action since suffering a knee injury Aug. 23 in a preseason game at Cleveland.

With cornerback Janoris Jenkins out with a knee injury, Johnson originally was scheduled to rotate with rookie Marcus Roberson. But after Roberson was burned on a 27-yard touchdown catch by Anquan Boldin early in the second quarter, Johnson ended up playing the majority of the game.

Even with a couple of penalties on the 49ers’ final drive of the game, Johnson’s presence helped stabilize the Rams’ secondary in Sunday’s 13-10 upset victory over San Francisco.

“I was glad to go out there and get my feet wet,” Johnson said. “Technique-wise it wasn’t all the way there, but that comes from practicing.”

After the Rams were lit up for 343 passing yards three weeks ago in St. Louis by Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers’ quarterback was limited to 237 yards Sunday with no gain longer than 27 yards, and was sacked eight times.

Of his two penalties, Johnson said, “It happens. That’s all technique. I can fix that and I will.”

BRITT’S SCORE

The Rams’ only touchdown of the game came with just 64 seconds to play in the first half on a 21-yard touchdown pass from Austin Davis to Kenny Britt.

“I don’t know if it was a blown coverage or what, but our quarterback (Davis) did a great job of executing,” Britt said.

Britt ran a shallow crossing pattern from left to right on the play, and no one from San Francisco picked him up.

“I’m glad that they forgot about me, to tell you the truth,” Britt said. “But it was something we needed.”

It was his second touchdown of the season, and the Rams’ longest pass play of the game. Davis hit Britt in stride, so when he caught the ball his thought process was ‘end zone or bust.’

“If you’re 225 (pounds), 6-3, and you’re running with a full head of steam, the only thought was getting a touchdown, help us out a little bit,” Britt said.

DAVIS’ DAY

Davis threw for only 105 yards, completing 13 of 24 passes, and tossed two interceptions. So Sunday’s performance against the NFL’s second-ranked defense wasn’t one for the scrapbook.

“It doesn’t matter how you do it, or what it looks like, it just matters how the score is at the end,” Davis said. “I think guys did a great job of just staying focused on what we had to do, and getting more points than they did when the final whistle blew.”

SMALLER COMMITTEE

The Rams’ running-back-by-committee approach was reduced by one Sunday. Zac Stacy, the team’s leading rusher a year ago, dressed but did not play. Instead, rookie Tre Mason got his first NFL start and registered a game-high 65 yards rushing on 19 carries.

Benny Cunningham was used more in passing situations, with three catches for 38 yards to go along with four carries for 10 yards. And wide receiver Tavon Austin continues to dabble at running back, carrying twice for 7 yards.

SITTING IT OUT

Joining Jenkins on the Rams’ inactive list: S Maurice Alexander, S Cody Davis, LB Korey Toomer, G-T Brandon Washington, TE Alex Bayer and DE Ethan Westbrooks.

RAM-BLINGS

• The Rams’ patchwork offensive line was awarded a game ball by coach Jeff Fisher after a day in which the 49ers managed only one sack.

• Newly acquired safety Mark Barron had one special teams tackle in his Rams debut.

• DE William Hayes left the game with a foot injury, apparently aggravating the same injury he had last week against Kansas City. Hayes said he wasn’t sure about the severity of the injury.

• Among the San Francisco inactives were LB Patrick Willis and CB Tramaine Brock.