Johnny Manziel To Enter Nfl Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

Johnny Manziel will enter the 2014 NFL draft, forgoing his final two seasons of eligibility atTexas A&M, ESPN has confirmed.

The 2012 Heisman Trophy winner filed the official paperwork to declaring himself eligible for the draft on Wednesday.

Manziel's decision was reported earlier Wednesday by NFL.com.

Widely projected as a first-round draft selection, Manziel is coming off his second productive season as the Aggies' quarterback. He threw for 7,820 yards and 63 touchdowns while rushing for 2,169 yards and 30 more scores over his two-year career at Texas A&M.

Manziel became the first freshman in college football history to win the Heisman Trophy in 2012, when he set the SEC single-season total offense record by accounting for 5,116 yards.

Manziel also set Texas A&M's single-season record for passing yards (4,114) this season and finished 11 yards shy of becoming college football's first sophomore to account for 10,000 career yards.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com's Darren Rovell on Tuesday that Manziel has chosen Select Sports Group out of Houston to be his contract agency and LRMR, the firm run by LeBron James' business partner Maverick Carter, to do his marketing.

It is unclear, however, if Manziel has officially signed with either firm. Once he does sign with an agency, he forfeits his remaining NCAA eligibility.

The Kerrville (Texas) Tivy High product is rated as the No. 14 player on Mel Kiper Jr.'s Big Board, and Scouts Inc. ranks him as the 22nd-best player. ESPN College Football and NFL Draft Analyst Todd McShay projected Manziel to go fourth overall in the draft in his initial mock draft of the 2014 cycle.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10262570/johnny-manziel-declares-2014-nfl-draft

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Not good news. The fewer "elite" prospects there are, the stronger our bargaining position at number two.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think it's good news for us. You never know if a couple of team will fall in love with Johnny Football, like the Vikings and Browns. And then we get a bidding war.

Houston is taking a QB, either Bridgewater or Bortles is my guess.

When you've got 4 teams that need a QB drafting after us in the top 10:
Jax at #3
Browns at #4
Oak at #5
Vikes at #8

then one of them will have to anti up or they will miss out.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
If any of the top 4 qbs falls. Should we take them in the second round

Alan

Legend
Why don't you just stab me in the heart? :wink:

I sincerely hope not.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not good news. The fewer "elite" prospects there are, the stronger our bargaining position at number two.

Well Flip I dunno. Without him in the draft there is less likelihood of scoring by trading the second overall. Now someone is going to want to take that leap, like Minny or Tampa, figuring that JM will never last all the way to 7 or 8.

So this could work in our favor.......

tonyl711

Starter
let the Johnny football hype machine begin, if he looks good at his pro day I can see a lot of GMs getting woodies over this kid. this just drove up the price of doing business for the #2 pick IMO.

Alan

Legend
max theorizing:
I think it's good news for us. You never know if a couple of team will fall in love with Johnny Football, like the Vikings and Browns. And then we get a bidding war.

Houston is taking a QB, either Bridgewater or Bortles is my guess.

When you've got 4 teams that need a QB drafting after us in the top 10:
Jax at #3
Browns at #4
Oak at #5
Vikes at #8

then one of them will have to anti up or they will miss out.

1) If you have 4 teams needing a QB and there are 4 quality QBs available there is no incentive to trade up.
2) If you have 4 teams needing a QB and there are 3 quality QBs available there is competition among the bottom 2 teams.
3) If you have 4 teams needing a QB and there are 2 quality QBs available there is competition among the bottom 3 teams.
4) And so on.

Which scenario is best for the Rams?

If the Texans draft Bridgewater then we do of course need one more desirable QB to be fought over.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is great news!

He's going top 10. That helps trade position and strengthens #13.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
SHOCKER!! Lol

Hopefully he lights up the combine so the Browns will trade their two firsts to us.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Well Flip I dunno. Without him in the draft there is less likelihood of scoring by trading the second overall. Now someone is going to want to take that leap, like Minny or Tampa, figuring that JM will never last all the way to 7 or 8.

So this could work in our favor.......
Alternatively: had Manziel stayed in college for another year, there would only have been Bridgewater and Bortles seen as "franchise" quarterback prospects. With so many teams in need of a QB, there would have been far more demand than supply.

Simple economics, my friend.

:stirthepot:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Alternatively: had Manziel stayed in college for another year, there would only have been Bridgewater and Bortles seen as "franchise" quarterback prospects. With so many teams in need of a QB, there would have been far more demand than supply.

Simple economics, my friend.

:stirthepot:

I feel like I post this almost daily... I don't think teams "settle for what's left" when it comes to the QB position.

Every team does their homework. I guarantee they conclude who "they got to have" at this position.

Not... "we'll take anyone of these 3".

It's just not how you evaluate the most important position on your team... Particularly in the top 8 when you have the draft capital to get who you want.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I feel like I post this almost daily... I don't think teams "settle for what's left" when it comes to the QB position.
If that were the case, nobody would have drafted a quarterback after Peyton Manning in 1998.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
And Bortles or Manziel could be somebody's guy this year.

And it obviously works in our favour if only one of those guys is there for teams to choose.