Johnny Manziel enters treatment center

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
by voices in his head you mean the cocaine?

but seriously glad the guy is getting help - he's a hill country boy from down the highway
it would be a nice story if he could get it all together
Ouch, I didn't realize it was cocaine abuse. That would make my comment about schizophrenia even more distasteful as it pertains to self medication.

I do hope he gets it together.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
While I don't think Manziel's issues are joke-worthy... the more and more news that comes out about him NOT being the greatest thing since sliced bread, the one that's more joke-worthy is the RamStalk poster who said he was no longer a Rams fan because they passed on Manziel and drafted Donald.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fixed it for you.

And yes as far as the addiction problems I hope it goes well for him. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

However even fully recovered and committed I doubt he ever becomes an NFL success.
I agree totally.

Hope he gets the help he needs.... but...

I do not believe he can make it in the NFL.

iced

I can do nothing but laugh at the Cleveland browns.

It was pretty damn apparent putting Johnny football in that locker room was just a matter of time before things would get out of hand - particularly being a negative influence on Josh Gordon....

I find it hilarious and amazing that somehow Cleveland continues to consistently miss on QB's lol....

Irish

Starter
Fixed it for you.

And yes as far as the addiction problems I hope it goes well for him. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

However even fully recovered and committed I doubt he ever becomes an NFL success.

I politely disagree.

The Johnny Football at Texas A&M, in the right situation, could be a budget Russell Wilson. In college, he displayed down field accuracy, escapability, poise, and a winning attitude. He was successful in the toughest conference in college football. Not everyone can end up in a perfect situation like Wilson, which is unfortunate for these spread offense, read option QBs in college who have pro coaches trying to mold them into their QB as opposed to letting them be the guy they drafted and play to his strengths.

On no planet should Brian Hoyer be more successful than Manziel. Just because a QB more fits into a certain mold isn't indicative of better talent, but rather poor coaching and unwillingness to change and adapt. Its that same reason you cannot convince me that guys like Kaepernick, Newton, Wilson, and Manziel can't be as successful as the Daltons, Flaccos, Tannehills, and Bortles of the world. If you draft the guy, make the guy successful, because he sure as heck isn't going to do it himself.

Let me put it another way: Give me Manziel, Tre Mason, a dominant O Line and a read option OC like Rhett Lashlee over Hundley, Tre Mason, a dominant offensive line and the second coming of Pat Shurmur or Brian Schottenheimer, which with each passing day looks more and more credible.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The evidence of the potential for a substance-abuse problem was hiding in plain sight months before the Browns traded up from No. 26 to No. 22 to pick Manziel, courtesy ofESPN The Magazine. Manziel’s own father said that Johnny drinks to deal with stress. Manziel’s parents and his college coach required Manziel to visit with an alcohol counselor after an alcohol-related arrest. Paul Manziel also expressed concern about a temper that made the father reluctant to engage in one of the ultimate father-son activities.

“I don’t enjoy playing golf with him because I don’t want to see that temper,” Paul Manziel told Wright Thompson at the time. “I honestly do not. I cringe when he wants to play golf. . . . I don’t know where the anger comes from. I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”

wow.

i'm guessing the browns did zero background research on this guy. they must of just watched his espn highlights.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I politely disagree.

The Johnny Football at Texas A&M, in the right situation, could be a budget Russell Wilson. In college, he displayed down field accuracy, escapability, poise, and a winning attitude. He was successful in the toughest conference in college football. Not everyone can end up in a perfect situation like Wilson, which is unfortunate for these spread offense, read option QBs in college who have pro coaches trying to mold them into their QB as opposed to letting them be the guy they drafted and play to his strengths.

On no planet should Brian Hoyer be more successful than Manziel. Just because a QB more fits into a certain mold isn't indicative of better talent, but rather poor coaching and unwillingness to change and adapt. Its that same reason you cannot convince me that guys like Kaepernick, Newton, Wilson, and Manziel can't be as successful as the Daltons, Flaccos, Tannehills, and Bortles of the world. If you draft the guy, make the guy successful, because he sure as heck isn't going to do it himself.

Let me put it another way: Give me Manziel, Tre Mason, a dominant O Line and a read option OC like Rhett Lashlee over Hundley, Tre Mason, a dominant offensive line and the second coming of Pat Shurmur or Brian Schottenheimer, which with each passing day looks more and more credible.
The Johnny Football at Texas played against college kids... Johnny Manziel in the NFL looks incapable of playing against NFL pros, which many of us said at the time.

As was frequently referenced in the Michael Sam debates, college success is not a surefire indicator of pro success. If it was, the draft would be much easier. Manziel wasn't the first, nor will he be the last to not be able to succeed at this level.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
while he's in there they should try and surgically remove that silver spoon that's been stuck up his ass all his life

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I politely disagree.

Then we just have to agree to disagree because I never felt Manziel would ever end up being a good NFL QB. Comparing him to Russell Wilson is an insult to Wilson.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
while he's in there they should try and surgically remove that silver spoon that's been stuck up his ass all his life

I believe they will need to remove a series of silver spoons from his ass

image.jpg

WestCoastRam

Legend
I politely disagree.

Many an NFL head coach have ended their careers thinking very similarly. You're argument is not invalid at all but from everything I've seen both on and off the field, I don't believe the best coaching and the RIGHTEST situation would have averted this trainwreck.

SierraRam

Recreational User
he's a hill country boy from down the highway
it would be a nice story if he could get it all together

Yeah - I don't wish ill will on anyone, but it's ALL his call - nobody else's. He's had a life of privilege most of us can only dream of, and if he chooses to piss it all away, his family will bail him out. The "hill country boy" will never suffer a day more than he chooses to...
azerbaijanis_with_the_same_.jpg

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I hope he gets the help he needs, and gets his healing started. While I am not a fan of the guy, the fact that he would reach out for help says a ton about him. I know he has historically been an idiot, perhaps this will get him where he needs to be. We are all idiots.

I really hope he uses his time well at the facility. This kid is way to young to wash out. He is really at the crossroads. Like that old movie used to say; "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent".

Insert the the "wasted" part as a punchline, but it is true. I hope for nothing but the best for JM, and he will be in my prayers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, this does answer a bunch of questions I had about his play...While never a JFF to Rams fan...I was amazed at some of the things he did...I was curious if he could succeed in the pros...And was shocked at how terrible he looked....
Excellent post. When I went into AA at age 29, I met a girl there who had just turned 19. I remember thinking "Damn, that's kind of young to realize you're all screwed up and seek help." She's in her early fifties now,
So, your 60's easy PT...never would have thought that...well you were always commenting on players like Roman Gabriel & Jon Arnett & Night Train so I shoulda figured it out..LOL

Still isn't going to be a good football player
Not so sure, I see at least the potential to be a Doug Flutie type...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, your 60's easy PT...never would have thought that...well you were always commenting on players like Roman Gabriel & Jon Arnett & Night Train so I shoulda figured it out..LOL

64 tomorrow Ram brother. What a long strange trip it's been. From Germany to San Diego, to LA, to San Jose, and now to Maryland, the Rams have always been my one and only team no matter where they play. You don't get to pick who you fall in love with, at least not in my case. Here's hoping for many more seasons and a few more Super Bowls in the near future.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
64 tomorrow Ram brother. What a long strange trip it's been. From Germany to San Diego, to LA, to San Jose, and now to Maryland, the Rams have always been my one and only team no matter where they play. You don't get to pick who you fall in love with, at least not in my case. Here's hoping for many more seasons and a few more Super Bowls in the near future.
Happy birthday!

I hope the Rams give you a World Champions present next year!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am not a fan of Manziel in the slightest. That said, I hope he kicks this thing and has a good career. That would be a far better story and one that kids could identify with. He has a choice to make. Let's hope he picks the right one.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I hope the Browns give up on him and give him to us for our 7th round pick.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
We will still need you.

We might still feed you.