Johnny Hekker restructures contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Is #WeNotMe something that McVay said at one point or is it something that we've been rolling with here at ROD because I haven't heard him say it? Yes, McVay got rid of some bum complacent players but I don't think he's target specific character types, especially if you look at the moves made this offseason. To me, he just wants motivated great players regardless of personalities...even Wade said he doesn't try to control players. Now that doesn't mean they won't hold them accountable if they aren't doing their job but this #WeNotMe thing sounds like Spags four pillars.
Honestly, to me "we not me" is basically the boy scout version of "do your job". Other than finding players who will buy in to the system there is no type or moral code. Early last season both Hill and Thomas were suspended, and posters expected them to be cut stating "this will not fly on a McVay team ". Well they both stuck around and now some are calling Hill a potential starter down the road .

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is #WeNotMe something that McVay said at one point or is it something that we've been rolling with here at ROD because I haven't heard him say it? Yes, McVay got rid of some bum complacent players but I don't think he's target specific character types, especially if you look at the moves made this offseason. To me, he just wants motivated great players regardless of personalities...even Wade said he doesn't try to control players. Now that doesn't mean they won't hold them accountable if they aren't doing their job but this #WeNotMe thing sounds like Spags four pillars.

wenotme.0.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are banners that I have seen on various videos with the slogan, and I've heard McVay say it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again a 6th round pick will not knock any current player out of our top 53... and the practice squad is a fixed very cheap amount... less than a 100K salary per player... thinks its like only $2-4K a week.

So whatever our cap is right now, even if you count 53 players... any draft pick that makes the team outside of the 3rd rounder will make little impact on the current cap number.

For example if player 53 earns a min salary of $500K..., and a rookie 4th rounder has a $600K cap number.. then our cap figure goes up $100k... that's it. And the 6th round rookies probably our wash with those bottom salaries. They want even break those top 53.

In the end the 3rd rounder probably bumps the cap figure up a few $100K as he might have a $800 or $900K cap number, but that is about it... Remember you deduct the salary of the player knocked out if the top 53 from the salary replacing it.... so its negligible, especially this year without a 1st or 2nd rounder.

53 is not 51 of course. And that doesn't include injury replacements - teams normally keep $3-5 million to handle that. Plus, there are all the signing bonuses for players who don't make the team, including the UDFAs who end up on the practice squad. BTW, practice squad players get $7200 a week at the minimum - desirable players for whom there is competition often get more - occasionally as much as NFL active player minimum. If there isn't a raise in 2018, the minimum the practice squad will take is a bit over $1.2 million.

Despite what was originally said, the cap during the season does not work the same as the cap in the offseason. It is far more complex than just the salaries of the highest paid 51.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
All the players have shirts with this saying on it.
wenotme.0.png

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So stoked that Hekker is a Ram. Future Hall of Famer if he keeps it up!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
53 is not 51 of course. And that doesn't include injury replacements - teams normally keep $3-5 million to handle that. Plus, there are all the signing bonuses for players who don't make the team, including the UDFAs who end up on the practice squad. BTW, practice squad players get $7200 a week at the minimum - desirable players for whom there is competition often get more - occasionally as much as NFL active player minimum. If there isn't a raise in 2018, the minimum the practice squad will take is a bit over $1.2 million.

Despite what was originally said, the cap during the season does not work the same as the cap in the offseason. It is far more complex than just the salaries of the highest paid 51.
Fact is they will not need the so-called $4-5 M that is allocated for a draft class.... that is always misunderstood.
.. as you are doing here. Their draft class will make a negligible impact on their cap.

And no, teams do not allocate $3-5M for injuries. Just does not happen. So relax.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fact is they will not need the so-called $4-5 M that is allocated for a draft class.... that is always misunderstood.
.. as you are doing here. Their draft class will make a negligible impact on their cap.

And no, teams do not allocate $3-5M for injuries. Just does not happen. So relax.

I DIDN'T say that the team needs to allocate $4-5 million for their draft class. That's not the case since the Rams traded their high picks. Nice of you to put bogus things into my mouth.

And yes, teams do leave a buffer - usually around $3-5 million - to cover injuries, etc. Last year the Rams ended up with just over $5 million. Apparently according to you, teams go into the regular season not expecting to sign or trade for anybody else - who might just take league minimum, but sometimes take more. GMs who want to keep their jobs plan for a certain number of injuries - and yes, players on IR count against the cap. They also budget for the practice squad. They also budget for giving UDFAs signing bonuses - the more desirable the UDFA the higher the bonus - which counts against the cap even if the player does not make the 53 man roster.

I merely pointed out that the cap during the regular season is a lot more complex than the 51 top contracts that matter during the offseason, and gave some examples. I'm really not sure what bugs you about that.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Signing bonuses are amortized over 5 seasons. So multiply any savings this year by 5, and that's what the signing bonus he can get this season is. So $968,000 times 5 is $4.84 million. Reducing Donald's salary (which is already figured into the cap) to $1 million is approximately $5.8 million saved.

I'm guessing they do that, and also give him a large guaranteed roster bonus for next season due on the first day of the league year, so that by early March of next year he will have received over $50 million. The extension will have a cap hit starting next season of over $20 million per.

All this will create other problems with signing other Rams free agents, but it seems to be necessary to get Donald signed at this point, given the frenzy the Rams have had this offseason.

Damn your good w/ the calculator ! Thanks for cranking out all the cap stuff bro

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I DIDN'T say that the team needs to allocate $4-5 million for their draft class. That's not the case since the Rams traded their high picks. Nice of you to put bogus things into my mouth.

And yes, teams do leave a buffer - usually around $3-5 million - to cover injuries, etc. Last year the Rams ended up with just over $5 million. Apparently according to you, teams go into the regular season not expecting to sign or trade for anybody else - who might just take league minimum, but sometimes take more. GMs who want to keep their jobs plan for a certain number of injuries - and yes, players on IR count against the cap. They also budget for the practice squad. They also budget for giving UDFAs signing bonuses - the more desirable the UDFA the higher the bonus - which counts against the cap even if the player does not make the 53 man roster.

I merely pointed out that the cap during the regular season is a lot more complex than the 51 top contracts that matter during the offseason, and gave some examples. I'm really not sure what bugs you about that.

My example of 4-5M was talking about a typical draft class. Every year fans say we need tgat type of space for a draft class, and it just isn't so do to subtracting contracts from the top 51 or 53, whichever you want to go by.

As for the buffer, I would guess at least a few higher priced vets will lose their jobs to rookies that will bump the space up a bit and I would guess another restructure or two will also help alleviate the space.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Too bad we couldn’t work in a lifetime extension with this great guy.