John Sullivan Interest in FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I have faith in the coachin staff and wouldn't be worried if Sullivan was lost, you can't forget Sullivan was one of if not the best centers in the league in his prime. Even though he's much older and came off a couple le bad years, it's much easier for a coach to bring out the talent that was clearly once there than it is to make talent appear in an inexperienced player
Not if that inexperienced player has as much untapped talent as that vet did at the same age. Another funny thing this time of year is for example Josh Reynolds. Last year people loved the pick thought he was a good young WR who could take the top off the defense, was a good route runner and had good hands. Now this year that we didn't resign Watkins people are freaking out saying we need to spend a draft pick on a WR or sign a vet. And have kicked Reynolds to the curb without giving him a shot.

I'm as guilty as everybody else in this but we fans are comical. We applaud the coaches for the job they do with the players coaching them up and building the scheme. Then we panic and question them when they let somebody go. We applaud a draft pick then if he doesn't do enough out of the gate to satisfy us fans expectations we want him replaced right away, usually with the same round of draft pick or later all while questioning the guy in his 2nd year's value. Let the coaches do their thing. Do we really think McVay, Snead and the coaches don't have a plan? If McVay and Kromer are ok with Sullivan possibly leaving to the point they haven't locked him up yet IMO we fans should probably get the hint that they have a plan and are OK with what's happening.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
My concern is that the sum of the whole was greater than the sum of the parts on the OL. For whatever reason, those guys really seemed to jell, nearly from day 1. I'd hate to see that chemistry messed up.

yeah part of the line jelling was no major injuries. we would be lucky to make another year injury free. so hate to lose one of our starters before the season starts. we have made two holes hate to add another

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not if that inexperienced player has as much untapped talent as that vet did at the same age. Another funny thing this time of year is for example Josh Reynolds. Last year people loved the pick thought he was a good young WR who could take the top off the defense, was a good route runner and had good hands. Now this year that we didn't resign Watkins people are freaking out saying we need to spend a draft pick on a WR or sign a vet. And have kicked Reynolds to the curb without giving him a shot.

I'm as guilty as everybody else in this but we fans are comical. We applaud the coaches for the job they do with the players coaching them up and building the scheme. Then we panic and question them when they let somebody go. We applaud a draft pick then if he doesn't do enough out of the gate to satisfy us fans expectations we want him replaced right away, usually with the same round of draft pick or later all while questioning the guy in his 2nd year's value. Let the coaches do their thing. Do we really think McVay, Snead and the coaches don't have a plan? If McVay and Kromer are ok with Sullivan possibly leaving to the point they haven't locked him up yet IMO we fans should probably get the hint that they have a plan and are OK with what's happening.
I was excited about Reynolds last year, but can you point out any play last year that he made that gives hope for the future? The Rams have not had a good track record of developing WR’s. Last one was maybe Tory Holt, and we all know the helluva year he had in ‘99. Kupp received coaching, but he was the complete route runner from college and was less of a coaching project than Reynolds. With our history of failure with undeveloped rookie WR’s, it’s not unreasonable to be from Missouri in this one.

Ram65

Legend
I feel much better if Rams had Sully coming back. Now you have less depth if he doesn't. I knew he would get interest after a top 10 year. Rams need to keep some players.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too much change. There is a reason why coaching staffs try to incorporate routine in sports, to maximize comfort levels and hopefully to maximize performance. On a collegiate level, I have seen HC’s lose their minds with even the smallest frustration of planning. There is a LOT of change happening with the Rams, so is it unrealistic to believe we do better than last year?

Limey

Rookie
Kromer turned Groh from a fringe backup to a player many wanted Snead fired over offering too little to this time last year. Blythe was unwanted by the Colts with their turnstile o line but looked good for us last year. I hope Sully stays but won’t fret if he leaves.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was excited about Reynolds last year, but can you point out any play last year that he made that gives hope for the future? The Rams have not had a good track record of developing WR’s. Last one was maybe Tory Holt, and we all know the helluva year he had in ‘99. Kupp received coaching, but he was the complete route runner from college and was less of a coaching project than Reynolds. With our history of failure with undeveloped rookie WR’s, it’s not unreasonable to be from Missouri in this one.

How about this? Smart play by a rookie WR to run along the back of the end zone and a great throw by our QB throwing him open. This shows 2 very young players knowing each other and working well together.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000883297/Josh-Reynolds-scores-first-career-TD

And sorry but to not trust McVay because previous head coaches did a bad job at developing WR's is one of the.... You know what I was going to say was too insulting to say sorry. This is something man nevermind. I just gotta laugh at people saying McVay won't be able to develop a rookie that he and Snead hand picked because every coach since Mike Martz sucked at drafting and developing WR's. We see now what turning the worst offense maybe ever in the NFL around and leading the league in scoring on the way to winning Coach of the Year gets a guy. Zero faith from the fan base it seems.

Name
Rod
If Sully leaves it doesn't necessarily mean Kromer & McVay are OK with it. They just couldn't sign him with what they offered. Hate to see the o-line tinkered with. Man, we were so horrible for so long, before McVay, I don't want to go back there. Seems to me to take a key piece from a line with a young QB is very dangerous.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have not had a good track record of developing WR’s.
Current Rams regime has had a total of 1 season. And WR's Woods and Kupp developed incredibly.
You're right about one thing, they don't have a good track record, they have an insanely good track record

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about this? Smart play by a rookie WR to run along the back of the end zone and a great throw by our QB throwing him open. This shows 2 very young players knowing each other and working well together.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000883297/Josh-Reynolds-scores-first-career-TD

And sorry but to not trust McVay because previous head coaches did a bad job at developing WR's is one of the.... You know what I was going to say was too insulting to say sorry. This is something man nevermind. I just gotta laugh at people saying McVay won't be able to develop a rookie that he and Snead hand picked because every coach since Mike Martz sucked at drafting and developing WR's. We see now what turning the worst offense maybe ever in the NFL around and leading the league in scoring on the way to winning Coach of the Year gets a guy. Zero faith from the fan base it seems.
I knew you would pick that play....I was typing on an iPhone which is a pain in the @ss to do, so omitted commenting on that. That play, the defense rushed only 3 guys, so Goff had FOREVER to throw...Reynolds wasn't running a crisp play to get himself open, they were playing backyard football on that one...It worked, so we all liked it...but hardly an example of skill and technique. Show me a play where he flashed the type of excellent pro that we all hope he can be, that TD isn't it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Current Rams regime has had a total of 1 season. And WR's Woods and Kupp developed incredibly.
You're right about one thing, they don't have a good track record, they have an insanely good track record
Woods is a veteran and Kupp ran insane routes prior to getting drafted, sure McVay gave coaching....Reynolds is the acid test as far as "developing" a guy, and now we are gambling that he can...Let's hope he does it well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I knew you would pick that play....I was typing on an iPhone which is a pain in the @ss to do, so omitted commenting on that. That play, the defense rushed only 3 guys, so Goff had FOREVER to throw...Reynolds wasn't running a crisp play to get himself open, they were playing backyard football on that one...It worked, so we all liked it...but hardly an example of skill and technique. Show me a play where he flashed the type of excellent pro that we all hope he can be, that TD isn't it.
Sorry that is a play a smart pro makes. If that doesn’t show you smarts nothing I can show you will impress you.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry that is a play a smart pro makes. If that doesn’t show you smarts nothing I can show you will impress you.

It's not just getting open - it's getting open in a way that the QB can predict, so he'll see you and throw the ball despite 300 pounders bearing down on him. He showed that he was on the same page as Goff, even though it was a broken play to some extent.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Rams are def in a position to keep this guy. I highly doubt the other teams are offering WAY more $$ than us. Get it on guys

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods is a veteran and Kupp ran insane routes prior to getting drafted, sure McVay gave coaching....Reynolds is the acid test as far as "developing" a guy, and now we are gambling that he can...Let's hope he does it well.
So they weren’t developed? Good grief the lengths people go to in order to complain or to avoid giving credit.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we are a good organization which has hired the right GM and head coach to acquire assistant coaches and players alike. They will find a way to put the best players they can on the field and arm them with the game plan and training to make them successful. Players will come and go, but an organization committed to winning will see the team through that. I'd like to believe that we have that now, but it is natural to question it, isn't it.

I want to keep Sully because he was good for the team, and he was part of a season I hadn't seen from our team in a while. If our organization is worth it, they'll thank him, see him go, and move the next man up.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

Oh trust me I understand how important coaching is than most people, especially when it comes to getting the most out of a player or by helping a player use that untapped potential. I was just trying to play a little devils advocate and not put it all on the coaches