John Fox out in Denver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Per Jay Mohr sports via Jay Glacier
Report: Broncos let entire coaching staff go
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2015, 6:08 PM EST
fox2.jpg
AP
Well, that escalated quickly.

According to Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 in Denver, the “mutual parting” between the Broncos and coach John Fox has been chased by the release of the entire coaching staff.

It was believed that defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was in trouble. Instead, everyone is gone.

That includes offensive coordinator Adam Gase, who currently is under consideration for multiple head-coaching jobs elsewhere. So if the Broncos, who know Gase better than anyone, have just fired him, why would anyone else hire him to be the head coach?

For quarterback Peyton Manning, the development points to an inevitable mutual parting, too. Peyton despises change and craves continuity. Unless he has a hand-picked alternative to Fox and Gase whom the Broncos will hire, it’s hard to imagine Peyton wanting to return.

UPDATE 6:10 p.m. ET: Per multiple other reports, all assistant coaches are under contract but free to look elsewhere. Which is a nice way of saying, “Pack up and hit the road.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Elway values Gase more than Fox and does not want to lose him. Seems obvious that Gase is their guy.

Athos

Legend
Imagine this is the end for Manning then.

Wow indeed.

No QBs DEN can possibly get either. Osweiller really the de-facto QB now?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not surprising, Elway has shown he'll do anything to win, even if that means blowing up a winning staff for not winning enough.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I wold have thought the same thing but looks like Gase is gone too...
Broncos will consider Adam Gase for head-coaching job
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2015, 7:21 PM EST
gase.jpg
Getty Images
After the stunning (but not surprising) news that the Broncos and coach John Fox have mutually parted ways, conflicting reports emerged regarding the status of the coaching staff. Still under contract (for now), they’re free to look elsewhere for work.

And all that that implies.

For offensive coordinator Adam Gase, it implies nothing. Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, Gase will be considered for the now-vacant head-coaching job.

The Broncos ultimately may not get that chance. According to multiple reports, Gase will interview with the 49ers for a second time on Monday night. If the 49ers move quickly, the Broncos may not be able to get him.

Of course, there’s a chance the Broncos don’t really want Gase to become the head coach, but that the Broncos in turn don’t want to alienate quarterback Peyton Manning by failing to give Gase consideration for the job.

Meanwhile, if Gase becomes the head coach in San Francisco, maybe the 49ers can “evaluate” Peyton Manning again

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is going to bite Elway in the ass if Peyton doesn't return.
Elway an ass himself anyway.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is insane. This seems like a very knee-jerk, temper tantrum reaction by Elway.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Reminds me of San Diego firing Schottenhiemer, although I don't think Fox is as good of a coach.

If Manning retires then Denver should blow it up and rebuild. They spent a ton of money in free agency.

He's done something twice with 2 teams that Schottenheimer didn't do with 4, make the Superbowl.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Have you ever watched him on the sideline? All he does is chew gum and clap at odd times.

And there's nothing wrong with that, IMO, as long as a coach like that surrounds himself with strong assistants.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Considering Manning was hurt at the end of the season and they made it this far wasn't horrible. Elway may look like a really dumb if things go right in the toilet.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Is it possible Manning wanted him gone? It just seems odd that you would blow the whole thing up, especially if PM is retiring....wouldn't you want the guy that showed he could win with Teebow at QB....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/13/the-denver-fallout/

fox-elway.jpg

Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

The Denver Fallout
Not even 24 hours after a one-and-done playoff appearance, the Broncos and coach John Fox parted ways. Here's a look at who Denver might be targeting, where Fox will land and how the other five coaching vacancies stand right now
By Peter King

Every season we see a surprise coaching departure in the NFL. This year, we saw two. On Monday, Denver parted ways with John Fox, who now joins the unemployed but wealthy Doug Marrone, who left Buffalo on his own with a $4 million golden parachute. Regarding Fox, who figures a coach who makes the playoff four times in four years and averages 12 wins a season will get whacked?

“Whacked” is too strong a term. If GM John Elway had loved Fox, Fox would be back for year five—and back to try to convince Peyton Manning to take one more run at a ring with a strong veteran roster in 2015. But this was a good “by mutual consent” split. Fox wanted out. Elway didn’t mind letting him go.

“The timing was right,” said one person familiar with the parting after a 70-minute meeting between the two men Monday afternoon, not even 24 hours after the 24-13 debacle that was the end to the 2014 season. “For both guys, I think the timing was right.”

Three other things about what happened in Denver:

1. With Peyton Manning on board, Elway believed that two first-round home playoff losses and a 35-point Super Bowl loss over three seasons was underachievement.

2. Fox will be a candidate to coach the Chicago Bears. I talked to 37-year-old GM Ryan Pace the other day, and the former director of player personnel for the Saints was unflinching in one feeling about what he wanted in his head coach: The coach should be a strong leader able to communicate a inspired message to his team—the way Pace witnessed Asshole Face control the meeting room when he stood in front of the players in New Orleans.

quinn.jpg

No team can offer Dan Quinn its coaching job until the Seahawks’ season is over. (Ted S. Warren/AP)

3. I always believe a coach doesn’t get the kind of ultimate wanderlust that Fox got without the feeling in the market that he’ll have a landing spot if he’s amenable to leaving. Fox is one of the smartest guys I’ve met in the coaching business. He knows he had a very good (not perfect) gig in Denver, with a good playoff shot in 2015 and two years left on his contract. Without a good chance to coach elsewhere, he wouldn’t have agreed to leave.

So, let’s figure out where we stand on all these coaching searches now.

In Chicago, Fox goes to the head of the class. The Bears also have interest in Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn. The Bears want a coach who can take a veteran team and turn it around fast and compete with Green Bay (especially) and Detroit.

In New York, the Jets are making a late run at Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles. For a while, Quinn was the leader in their clubhouse, but something happened. I don’t know what. Could Quinn have told them no? Or could Quinn have another place lined up? Such as …

In Atlanta, I heard Sunday it was down to Quinn or Bowles. Ryan, I am told, was a strong candidate, but didn’t have the universal internal support that Arthur Blank wanted in a coach. Blank likes clean off-field guys, and maybe some of Rex’s bawdiness turned off the organization.

In San Francisco, Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase, Niners defensive line coach Jim Tomsula or Niners defensive coordinator Vic Fangio seem most likely. Not sure if Gase’s tenuous position with the Broncos now changes things at all, but I was told the other day that San Francisco wanted Colin Kaepernick fixed, above all, preferably by someone who will keep intact a strong defensive staff led by Fangio.

In Oakland, I keep hearing Denver defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio over incumbent interim coach Tony Sparano. That hasn’t changed.

In Denver, GM John Elway certainly has a list that he activated on Monday, after Fox left his office and the two men divorced. We’ll see who is on it. I believe Elway wants to look outside the organization, get some new blood and new ideas in the building. That does not bode well for Gase and for Peyton Manning, who likes continuity and who Elway would like to return if Manning is healthy enough to play in 2015. My guess is that Elway will be patient, and if he has a chance to interview Quinn, he will work hard to convince him that Denver is the place to be.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Fox is out and Rex Ryan is hired immediately.....its bizarre world in the NFL.
Fox will go to Chicago I bet.
Well it's like, now you're going to trust a guy in Adam Gase who has zero head coaching experience and had Manning as his QB. This is just a really dumb move.