John Fox: Jim Irsay 'ungrateful'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9830976/john-fox-calls-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-cheap-shot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98309 ... cheap-shot</a>

[espn]9831715[/espn]

Denver Broncos coach John Fox defended quarterback Peyton Manning on Tuesday after Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said he was "disappointed" the Colts won only one Super Bowl with the former No. 1 overall pick.

"I saw the comments. And to be honest with you, I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot," Fox said during an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "To me, in my opinion, they were disappointing and inappropriate.

"Peyton would never say anything. He's too classy to do that. They sounded a little ungrateful and unappreciative to me. For a guy who has set a standard, won a Super Bowl, won four MVP awards ... be thankful of that one Super Bowl ring, because a lot of people don't have one."

Irsay, in an interview with USA Today Sports, said the Colts have changed their model "a little bit" under Andrew Luck, because Irsay wants "more than one of these [rings]."

"[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these [rings]," Irsay told USA Today. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the 'Star Wars' numbers from Peyton and Marvin [Harrison] and Reggie [Wayne]. Mostly, you love this [ring]."

Irsay took to Twitter late Tuesday night to address his critics, writing:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JimIrsay/status/390345165795500032[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JimIrsay/status/390352550672994304[/tweet]

Irsay also told USA Today Sports that Manning thought the Colts could not pass up the chance to draft Luck.

The Colts have gone 15-7 since drafting Luck with the top overall pick in 2012. At the time of the conversation, Manning was recovering from fusion surgery on his neck and the Colts were attempting to rebound from a 2-14 season.

"[Manning] said, 'You've got to take Andrew,'" Irsay told USA Today Sports. "'You have to. You're crazy if you don't.'"

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Irsay is an attention craving punk-ass Bitch. He's a rich one, but without his buku delores he'd be a lonely mother fucker.

Plenty $,,, No fucking Class.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
what a dick. i gave that chump hell on twitter over the years. post quotes from famous people all the time, but doesn't appear to understand them. I think he's just trying to appear cool and smart.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well I for one like Jim. Say what you want, he trolls the media and has had winning football teams for over a decade, maybe two decades now.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I understand and agree with this:

"the concept of building well rounded teams around great QBs 2 achieve Championships"

That's what everyone wants. But this should have been left unsaid. It makes it sound like what Peyton did for them wasn't enough:

"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"You make the playoffs 11 times, and you're out in the first round seven out of 11 times."
i would like for Jim to publicly explain why this is Peyton's fault?

It would be nice for Dungy to chime in, but he's too classy to say anything.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Example 12,446,678,345 squared why owners are stupid if they disclose their fan like frustrations

But as usual if it bleeds it leads

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
What's this little bitch gonna say when they renew luck's contract?

irsay is an ATTENTION WHORE, WANNA-BE with money.

PIECE OF SHIT.

Angry Ram

Selassie I said:

PIECE OF SHIT.

I think that's uncalled for. Just b/c he isn't like Stan doesn't mean he's a piece of shit.

Second where exactly did he take a shot @ Peyton? All he said he was disappointed he only got 1 ring. Wouldn't you w/ a QB like that?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

PIECE OF SHIT.

I think that's uncalled for. Just b/c he isn't like Stan doesn't mean he's a piece of shit.

Second where exactly did he take a shot @ Peyton? All he said he was disappointed he only got 1 ring. Wouldn't you w/ a QB like that?

Bottom line Irsay wasn't ready to throw a huge amount of money at a guy having ANOTHER neck surgery, Manning COULD have said het man lets re negotiate, he BTW is a pretty rich guy himself.

Irsay's lack of the ability to adequately articulate his reasons for letting Manning go is pretty obvious and his father's inadequacies in that realm are a huge part of why John Elway refused to play there (for those who don't remember that he said he'd play for the Yankees before he'd play for the Colts so no need to draft him and Denver traded for the rights ).

The press pack mentality and the feeding frenzies that follow that sort of tweets ,the lack of tact in Irsays comments yada yada , are something I wouldn't want if I were Irsay, but in the end the "all publicity is good publicity " is fed by the emotions Selassie expresses here, Irsay has a serious nuevo riche gene to him he's a Trump like character, his money makes him a target, which it shouldn't but he COULD take it into consideration.
I just think it's all consummate comedy that the same fucking press that "gods up" a babbling idiot accessory to murder like Ray Lewis finds the time to feed off statements so inconsequential as Irsay's.
I literally ROLL ON THE FLOOR laughing at their selective outrage. :tooth: :rofl: :lmao: :sly: :cool:

Ramzee

Rookie
I personally think it's funny that Peyton Manning has gotten the moniker of choke-artist in the playoffs but when the owner expresses similar frustration at that fact, he's an asshole. lol I love double standards.

It's like, "You have MONEY?! Then you can't act like the rest of us!!!!! ARGH!!!! NO OPINIONS!!!"

Seriously, if the playoffs are money and the SB is the ultimate prize, then Peyton Manning left a LOT of money on the table and for the money he was getting paid, it's a disappointment. I'm disappointed FOR Irsay. Since when did expecting more become bad?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

PIECE OF SHIT.

I didn't compare irsay to anyone. I think my description of him is spot-on. He earned it all by himself.

Second... his franchise accomplished shit prior to Manning. Manning is responsible for all of that team's successes... including winning the ultimate prize.

irsay is the little rich schoolgirl who was given a pony , but throws a fit because the pony isn't the color she wanted.

No Class

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Selassie I said:
Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

PIECE OF SHIT.

I didn't compare irsay to anyone. I think my description of him is spot-on. He earned it all by himself.

Second... his franchise accomplished shit prior to Manning. Manning is responsible for all of that team's successes... including winning the ultimate prize.

irsay is the little rich schoolgirl who was given a pony , but throws a fit because the pony isn't the color she wanted.

No Class

Whoa now rastah man ,give Tony Dungy a little credit there.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Selassie I said:
Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

PIECE OF shyte.

I think that's uncalled for. Just b/c he isn't like Stan doesn't mean he's a piece of shyte.

Second... his franchise accomplished shyte prior to Manning. Manning is responsible for all of that team's successes... including winning the ultimate prize.

No Class
Agreed irsay is nothing without the Manning era. Hell dungy doesn't get the credit he gets without Manning. It would be one thing to say don't forget about dungy if he transitioned to Denver and sucked but Peyton is still playing huge without him.

As I said Colts would prob still be circling the drain without Manning.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah, there were others who were involved in the successes the Colts enjoyed, but I submit that without Manning, their long term and lofty successes would not have been possible.

My eyes only leave the QB when shots of the cheerleaders are on btw :ww:

Com' On Mang

Angry Ram

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I think Jim Irsay is a great owner and love the way he carries himself. Better than the uptight-ness of other owners.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Angry Ram said:
Selassie I said:

PIECE OF SHIT.

Not really a subject of interest to me but the Star Wars comment kinda seemed like a jab at Peyton and Co. I think the real problem is that he comes off as if it was everyone else's fault that they only won one ring and that now he is somehow changing the direction of the team. If he wasn't at fault for "only" winning one ring, is he culpable if they don't win more with Luck? My guess is that won't be his fault either.

It just seems that he is trying to save face but it puts him in a Jerruh Jones type of light.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramzee said:
I personally think it's funny that Peyton Manning has gotten the moniker of choke-artist in the playoffs but when the owner expresses similar frustration at that fact, he's an asshole. lol I love double standards.

It's like, "You have MONEY?! Then you can't act like the rest of us!!!!! ARGH!!!! NO OPINIONS!!!"

Seriously, if the playoffs are money and the SB is the ultimate prize, then Peyton Manning left a LOT of money on the table and for the money he was getting paid, it's a disappointment. I'm disappointed FOR Irsay. Since when did expecting more become bad?

To me, I couldn't care less about the money he does or doesn't have. As an owner though, I don't think he actually does have the latitude of your average fan. Expecting more is not bad and I hope it never becomes so. CEOs don't act like minor stock holders though and IMO, owners shouldn't either - especially if it (as it appears to me) is ego driven. I suppose I just expect a little more savvy from that position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
Ramzee said:

To me, I couldn't care less about the money he does or doesn't have. As an owner though, I don't think he actually does have the latitude of your average fan. Expecting more is not bad and I hope it never becomes so. CEOs don't act like minor stock holders though and IMO, owners shouldn't either - especially if it (as it appears to me) is ego driven. I suppose I just expect a little more savvy from that position.

I'm with you (and others) 503 on this one. This just sounds "wrong" from the CEO. For all the Peyton did for that franchise:

:nono: Sad.

And... I dunno Ramzee, I've never considered P Manning a choke artist. In most every case he's taken flawed teams farther than they otherwise would have gotten. In the playoffs; that catches up to you.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramzee said:

I'd say he's more an arsehole because it's not true and he's claimed for all this time that him and Manning are friends. I am not going to talk shiot about a friend of mine to the media. It's an unprofessional move and one that makes me think that Irsay hasn't been honest about how things went down.