John Clayton Interviews Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN’s John Clayton is joined by Rams coach Jeff Fisher. Clayton thinks the Rams had the best and most interesting draft with the Michael Sam pick. Fisher breaks down the Rams draft picks Robinson, Donald, Joyner, and Mason. Fisher said they just could not pass up Mason at that point in the Draft. They talk about the depth and quality of the D-Line, plus a Bradford recovery update...He will be participating in the OTA’s.

Listen to Clayton Interview Fisher

Fisher Interview Starts at 18:30

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I don't know about the rest of you folks, but if this "D" ends up looking (performing) anything like the 85 Bears, I'll be more than satisfied...

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think this D has much more speed than the 85 Bears, but I guess the entire league is faster on O and D then in 85. I have never seen a DE that can run down an elite RB like Quinn chased down AP last season, Quinn didnt get him but he caught up with him after being held to allow AP to get by him. That play impressed me more than than any of the great plays Quinn has made thus far in his career.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Fisher loves the Joyner pick: "fills a hole in the secondary, little guy, but a great football player." Also adds, Sam is taking charge of the offense, looks comfortable and expects him to build on his season last year before the injury. NICE!

Clayton says we had the best draft - that guy rocks!
images

A55VA6

Legend
Thanks for posting RamBill! I've always really liked John Clayton. Even if he ever bashes the Rams, it's probably going to be a reasonable argument. Love listening to him.

This defense can really be a special unit for a long time. It's all up to our offense to produce now. If our offense can score more points... we can beat anybody.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I love Clayton but he looks like a guy that during commercial breaks grabs a teenage mutant ninja turtle action figure from a shelf above his home studio at his moms house then yells to his mom to make him a tuna fish sandwich without pickles.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I love Clayton but he looks like a guy that during commercial breaks grabs a teenage mutant ninja turtle action figure from a shelf above his home studio at his moms house then yells to his mom to make him a tuna fish sandwich without pickles.
he looks like he just missed the part when they cast "ET the Extraterrestrial"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think this D has much more speed than the 85 Bears, but I guess the entire league is faster on O and D then in 85. I have never seen a DE that can run down an elite RB like Quinn chased down AP last season, Quinn didnt get him but he caught up with him after being held to allow AP to get by him. That play impressed me more than than any of the great plays Quinn has made thus far in his career.

I don't recall who the RB was but there was a coach that told a story about Deacon Jones.

Deacon chased a RB along the sidelines for a little bit before pushing him out of bounds. The coach supposedly asked him why he didn't push him out sooner since he was running right alongside him and Deacon responded "I just wanted to see how fast he was".

I dunno if its true, but I heard it, so it is.

jap

Legend
I don't recall who the RB was but there was a coach that told a story about Deacon Jones.

Deacon chased a RB along the sidelines for a little bit before pushing him out of bounds. The coach supposedly asked him why he didn't push him out sooner since he was running right alongside him and Deacon responded "I just wanted to see how fast he was".

I dunno if its true, but I heard it, so it is.

The Deacon was faster than a number of NFL RB's in his day. He often chased them down.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I missed out on Deacon, a bit before my time, but I do recall hearing he was as fast as any player at that time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I missed out on Deacon, a bit before my time, but I do recall hearing he was as fast as any player at that time.

I was just a little kid.......I think the interview was done for a special about great defensive players. The story stuck with me because it seems like something he would do then something he would say while shrugging his shoulders and smiling.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yes PT, I just googled the Clayton commercial. I must have seen it and it didn't fully register. Dammit Another time I thought I was being creative only to find out I was actually just late to the game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yes PT, I just googled the Clayton commercial. I must have seen it and it didn't fully register. Dammit Another time I thought I was being creative only to find out I was actually just late to the game.

Got it. :cool:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The Rams have a long way to go, for top 5....and to be even mentioned in the '85 Bears range. I think they are top 10---especially with an improved
running game that will give them the league lead in 'time of possession'.--which the Titans where in the top 5 quite a bit...which of course keeps the D off the field.

Here are three things that I think need to change,and I believe one will, so that the Rams are top 5.

1)I think Ogletree doesn't take on blocks well; I saw WR's trap him too much. (should change)

and I think he will need to play much faster in the pass game [in the flats] (just like Torry HOlt increased his playing speed in 2000)

2)I think Laurenaitis can't step RB's int their tracks---which even a strong safety can do.( I don't see this changing)

3) Janoris needs to be successfful in man coverage.
Having watched all the games from last year, many times, I think we are making excuses for him. His 'playing speed', strength and wingspan combine
to keep him from being great in 1 on 1 against the Boldins and Steve Smith talents of the NFL. He played pretty good against Larry Fitz---though Fitz
did have 12 catches in that 2nd game last year.

Like Janoris, I used to party a lot, and it really doesn't help the focus. I think he is 'smart', but not really 'up to snuff' with preparation for every game.
I love his physicality and incredible feet. But, that ain't enough for our "#1" corner. Tru is better, but he is he good enough for a top 5 D? Maybe if we get to 73 sacks.

If Ogletree gets to where we think he can and ignoring #2 then I think Janoris is the key to our defense's success. OUr pass rush, and blitzing may cover him up.

THe Rams have a plan for the safeties---I just don't know what it is!

All that being said: the 84 Bears (with sack record) and 1985 Bears didn't have very good corners. "LA" Mike Richardson, Spivey and Leslie Frazier weren't so good; Frazier was smooth, with no long speed if I remember (I lived in Chicago). I still haven't watched the 1984 Rams-Bears game that I got....I will do that soon. I am interested to see what the Rams O line did that game!