John Clayton: Bigger impact - Cook or Long?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Who will be a bigger plus for the Rams, Jared Cook or Jake Long?
ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton gives his take.

[101]https://soundcloud.com/101sports/john-clayton-pits-jared-cook[/101]

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
$18 -20 million per year for Sam. Like I said, it's gonna be rough and we need replacements for Wells and Dahl whether they're good or not. Can't afford them unless the CAP goes way up.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
$18 -20 million per year for Sam. Like I said, it's gonna be rough and we need replacements for Wells and Dahl whether they're good or not. Can't afford them unless the CAP goes way up.
Jones for Wells, and Watkins for Dahl :idk:

Long is the bigger impact for this year it seems, because now we have two very solid OT's.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Both............ but a healthy all pro OLT Jake Long.........not even close.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yeah, we're pinning all our hopes on Jones and ROK. I really hope that works out because we'll need them.

I have some confidence that one or both of them will work out well. I also see us drafting at least one O-line high in next years draft. Plus another one to possibly replace Saffold.

And Jake has to work out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
Yeah, we're pinning all our hopes on Jones and ROK. I really hope that works out because we'll need them.

I have some confidence that one or both of them will work out well. I also see us drafting at least one O-line high in next years draft. Plus another one to possibly replace Saffold.

And Jake has to work out.
I don't think we are pinning all of our hopes on them. I think our staff will continue to upgrade talent whenever they can. I also think that the oline will probably be, in part, a draft focus next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love John Clayton. Not because anything he said here, but because he's just a good observer of this sport and just so on top of his game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
DR RAM said:
albefree69 said:
Jones for Wells, and Watkins for Dahl :idk:

Long is the bigger impact for this year it seems, because now we have two very solid OT's.
I agree,although Saffold being a substantial upgrade at RT remains to be seen. Fingers crossed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A franchise QB is $20M per year. Sucks.

Sucks more of you are still searching for one.

I'm okay with extending Sam after this season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bigger impact; Cook or Long?

That's tough. The protection Long can provide is what we need around here. A solid o-line? What is that?

Same with weapons... and Cook... a huge problem recent years.

Me: I'll say Long. But its damn close and Cook could bust out here.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
CGI_Ram said:

That's tough. The protection Long can provide is what we need around here. A solid o-line? What is that?

Ill help ya out here cgi

Long will be the bigger impact allowing Bradford the time needed to help make cook a great impact as well.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Cook can provide something that Sam has never really had. A consistent deep threat down the middle of the field. When you look at Bradford at U of OK, he had Pettigrew to throw it down the seam to. I think Lance started to step up this year, but his previous year was pretty bad. I think he adds that dimension down the middle that we have been lacking.

The other thing is that there were times last year where the line wasn't bad and did a decent job protecting, but no one, and I mean no one would get open. It wasn't Sam's fault. I think with Cook and the speed of Givens and Tavon out there it will be a much different situation.

Obvious having Long is a big boost. It helped us improve two positions on the O-line. But it really seemed like the fact that no one could get open last year was a bigger problem.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
brokeu91 said:
Cook can provide something that Sam has never really had. A consistent deep threat down the middle of the field. When you look at Bradford at U of OK, he had [hilite]Pettigrew[/hilite] to throw it down the seam to. I think Lance started to step up this year, but his previous year was pretty bad. I think he adds that dimension down the middle that we have been lacking.

The other thing is that there were times last year where the line wasn't bad and did a decent job protecting, but no one, and I mean no one would get open. It wasn't Sam's fault. I think with Cook and the speed of Givens and Tavon out there it will be a much different situation.

Obvious having Long is a big boost. It helped us improve two positions on the O-line. But it really seemed like the fact that no one could get open last year was a bigger problem.
OU had Pettigrew? I knew they had Gresham but not Pettigrew as well...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Barrison6 said:
brokeu91 said:
Cook can provide something that Sam has never really had. A consistent deep threat down the middle of the field. When you look at Bradford at U of OK, he had [hilite]Pettigrew[/hilite] to throw it down the seam to. I think Lance started to step up this year, but his previous year was pretty bad. I think he adds that dimension down the middle that we have been lacking.

You're right it's Gresham, sorry about that. Pettigrew went to Oklahoma State.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I know this is a cop out, but hopefully they'll both be so good we won't have to make the distinction. I couldn't just say one position has a bigger impact without generalizing, so it kinda comes down to who plays better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rabid Ram said:
CGI_Ram said:

Ill help ya out here cgi

Long will be the bigger impact allowing Bradford the time needed to help make cook a great impact as well.

Well; I couldn't have said it better than that! Thank you!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
brokeu91 said:
Barrison6 said:
brokeu91 said:

You're right it's Gresham, sorry about that. Pettigrew went to Oklahoma State.
I was gonna say that's a whole lotta depth at TE for a college team lol.