Joe Barry

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
One of the reasons I was so adamant that Staley's original defensive scheme wouldn't work is because I've seen it before. Joe Barry used a similar scheme as DC in Washington a few years ago. His was more of a cover 3 zone, predicated upon the notion that no offense can sustain drives without making a mistake. That type of scheme requires more speed at almost all defensive positions than any team realistically has. Obviously, he was booted out of Washington after a couple of years.

So why am I posting this? Joe Barry is IMO the poster boy for a coach who is good at perhaps one aspect of his profession and who can find success in that limited role. I've watched Joe during his tenure in San Diego and now here in LA. He's a pretty darn good LBs coach and has been responsible for developing young rookies into solid NFL players. He understands their strengths and limitations.

Not every coach can be a coordinator. Not all coordinators can be a head coach. Robert Saleh, has a lot of potential as a possible HC on the level of Ron Rivera. I think that Staley has potential, but it's far too early to predict just how good or not Brandon will be. What I like about Staley is he adapted when he had to. What is still to be proven is how well he adapts, i.e. during a game. I see him trying but with varying degrees of success. I hope Staley is learning from his experience. If he is the defense will only get better. I said before the season that this defense had top 10, possibly top 5 potential if used correctly. So it's no surprise to me where they are at this point. But the real test starts this week through the end of the season. He now knows his players. Let's see how well he uses them going down the stretch. If they continue to play at this level, it won't be the defense that keeps them from winning a Super Bowl.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
RHVL.gif

TexasRam

Legend
Lots of football left to be played. Assuming we make the playoffs, Staley’s value will really be determined in the postseason.

I would say our defensive talent is middle of the pack, if Staley can have the defense playing top 5 ish in the playoffs then I would call his coaching a net positive.

A coach can only do so much and we have clear deficiencies on defense talent wise.

It might be a little more fair to give Staley a year or two to bring in his guys to run the scheme he envisions.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Joe Barry was the Lion's DC during their famous 0-16 season. He was not liked in Washington. However he seems to have found his groove and seems to be killin it for us here in L.A. He has great attitude and I enjoy hearing him talk on interviews.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Staley runs a variant of Fangio's scheme (who was a Jim Mora/Dom Capers protege). Barry ran a variant of Marinelli's scheme (who, of course, was a Monte Kiffin protege). They're quite different.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Joe Barry was the Lion's DC during their famous 0-16 season. He was not liked in Washington. However he seems to have found his groove and seems to be killin it for us here in L.A. He has great attitude and I enjoy hearing him talk on interviews.
Agreed and he's done a lot with what he's got to work with too. Kind of like making spaghetti with top ramen noodles or something.