Joe Barksdale performing well

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This Article Came out before Greg Robinson started the last 2 games so the G.R part can be taken with a grain of salt. As we have seen he is developing nicely and seems to already be an upgrade over Joseph quieting those of US that have expressed concern.

As for our man Barksdale, the dude just plays and keeps his nose clean. He is the exact kind of O Lineman I love. The kind whose name is seldom uttered during a game not for penalties not for missed assignments, whiffs or other blunders the guy just plays consistently well.

I am a little surprised at our overall #11 ranking.

11. St Louis Rams (13th)PB: 22nd, RB: 7th, PEN: 14th
Stud: A Raiders reject come Rams right tackle, Joe Barksdale fell into the job and hasn’t looked back since. He’s our top-ranked right tackle and is punishing defenders in the run game. Possibly the least known of the Rams’ line, but playing the best right now.
Dud: You could blame Greg Robinson for only earning 10 snaps of action, but it’s the play of Davin Joseph that stands out when you look at where plays tend to breakdown on the line. Guards shouldn’t allow that much pressure.
Summary: The team probably expects more from the left side of their line, who while fine, haven’t played to the stellar levels their price tags would suggest. Other than that, the bonus of Barksdale offsets the disappointment in Robinson nicely.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/3/

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If you don't hear your Oline guys name mentioned during the game, that means they are not playing bad.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Barksdale is well on his way to a nice contract,excellent pickup by rams now let's not let him get away.

Alan

Legend
I don't know how well he's been playing, PFF aside, but the fact that he's always healthy is a huge plus for our line.

Now, if we can just do something about the Wells situation. I don't see Jones being a factor this year because I think he probably regressed strength wise. You can't do much in the weight room to get stronger or even to keep what strength you have with a bad back. The fact that Barnes can't overtake Wells as our starter speaks volumes about the depth of our O-line.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Barks is a stud plain and simple. Hope they are already working on an extension, and am sure they are. Need to lock him up long term.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I think we need to make resigning him a priority in the offseason. He's been consistently good at RT and ranks very highly according to PFF as compared to the entire league (if you place any weight on the PFF rankings). O line is so important in my view that you can't simply allow players like this to leave.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, We need to give the resigning of Barks very high priority and then address the O line depth and quality.

V3

Hall of Fame
If you don't hear your Oline guys name mentioned during the game, that means they are not playing bad.
I've heard this plenty of times but I don't really agree. There are plenty of times where O-lineman get mentioned for doing very well and there are also times where O-lineman are the cause for bad plays yet don't get mentioned at all.

With regards to Barks, he's been great and the Rams would be wise to sign him NOW. I worry about what he's going to want. We can't afford to lose him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Let's not forget we never hear Barks's name on the injury report. That's huge for any linemen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let's not forget we never hear Barks's name on the injury report. That's huge for any linemen.

A very LARGE understatement!

I know no other higher priority for the Rams front personnel office this 2015 off season.....Goal No#1....sign ORT Joe Barksdale to a long term contract. Do you? An excellent Boudreau success story.

fearsomefour

Legend
A very LARGE understatement!

I know no other higher priority for the Rams front personnel office this 2015 off season.....Goal No#1....sign ORT Joe Barksdale to a long term contract. Do you? An excellent Boudreau success story.
For sure have to resign Barksdale.
It will be interesting to me to see what they do with LT after this season. To me, Robinson is a G. He can be a dominating Pro Bowl G. I would leave him there unless he can progress to the point of being an exceptional LT.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hypothetically, do you guys think Joe could play at a high level on the left side?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For sure have to resign Barksdale.
It will be interesting to me to see what they do with LT after this season. To me, Robinson is a G. He can be a dominating Pro Bowl G. I would leave him there unless he can progress to the point of being an exceptional LT.

I agree but if JB bolts in free agency then GR most likely will get inserted @ OLT with the aging worn Jake Long moving to JB ORT post. I am sure that when this season concludes & what GR will have learned from it will place him in a good position to work well @ OLT post in 2015 if needed. I feel positive on this.

Hypothetically, do you guys think Joe could play at a high level on the left side?

No. Barksdale is a very good RIGHT OT in this Boudreau OL power blocking scheme. JB best comes when he is primarily a run blocker & secondary pass blocker. JB can be beat on a regular basis by quick speeders. Go watch the 9ers game with the 9ers left OSLB'er giving JB all kinds of trouble in passing situations.

V3

Hall of Fame
He might be able to adequately fill in in an emergency but why bother unless injuries have decimated the line? I don't think he'd do well there permanently. Also, we just drafted GRob to play LT. We didn't spend the 2nd overall pick on an OG. It's only a temporary thing while he learns to adjust to the NFL.

lockdnram21

Legend
He might be able to adequately fill in in an emergency but why bother unless injuries have decimated the line? I don't think he'd do well there permanently. Also, we just drafted GRob to play LT. We didn't spend the 2nd overall pick on an OG. It's only a temporary thing while he learns to adjust to the NFL.
i think he will eventually play Lt but i think u worry to much on where a playere was drafted. if the coaches feel that it would be better to keep him at Lg and he gets all pro and multiple pro bowls i wouldnt be mad. Dont mean to nit pick but seems thats all u talk about is where a player was drafted

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks for the responses BonifayRam and V3. I certainly wouldn't advocate that move, but with both Long and Saffold being as snakebit as they have been with injuries, I wondered if Barksdale would be a safer option at LT than the rookie Robinson. It's probably a wash if anything and a scenario that would be an absolute disaster anyways. If that happened, I doubt it would matter where anyone else lines up.

V3

Hall of Fame
i think he will eventually play Lt but i think u worry to much on where a playere was drafted. if the coaches feel that it would be better to keep him at Lg and he gets all pro and multiple pro bowls i wouldnt be mad. Dont mean to nit pick but seems thats all u talk about is where a player was drafted
I talk about it a lot because it matters if a team isn't finding Pro Bowlers later on to compensate for the poor value taken at the top. I feel value is very important when drafting. I'm not calling anyone a bust on this team(except Pead). I'm just saying that if we're going to assume GRob ends up only playing LG, that's not good value and the Rams better be able to find a Pro Bowl quality LT somewhere later in the draft to make up for that. Teams trying to rebuild can't afford to miss on their top picks unless they're finding late round gems at the key positions.

And you're making it sound like I'm worried about GRob. I'm not. I think he'll be a good LT until he shows me otherwise so I'm not worried about the value of that pick. I do have concerns about other top picks, though, and I think they're causing the rebuild to take longer than it should.

lockdnram21

Legend
I talk about it a lot because it matters if a team isn't finding Pro Bowlers later on to compensate for the poor value taken at the top. I feel value is very important when drafting. I'm not calling anyone a bust on this team(except Pead). I'm just saying that if we're going to assume GRob ends up only playing LG, that's not good value and the Rams better be able to find a Pro Bowl quality LT somewhere later in the draft to make up for that. Teams trying to rebuild can't afford to miss on their top picks unless they're finding late round gems at the key positions.

And you're making it sound like I'm worried about GRob. I'm not. I think he'll be a good LT until he shows me otherwise so I'm not worried about the value of that pick. I do have concerns about other top picks, though, and I think they're causing the rebuild to take longer than it should.
wasnt saying u were worried about Grob. just have been noticeing thats the first thing u talk about is where a player was drafted. Like when u talk about TA instead of just waiting for them to develop