Joe Barksdale: “I want to come back”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How did barksdale play this year? I don't see why this doesn't get done.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

He wasn't good, but having a little support on the inside goes a long way. If we can get a good LG to support Robinson, Barksdale should do just fine with Saffold on his left at RG.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler

He started off well, sort of tailed off towards the end of the season. Personally, I think a lot has to do with him being next to Joseph and Wells. Sign him up

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
He wasn't good, but having a little support on the inside goes a long way. If we can get a good LG to support Robinson, Barksdale should do just fine with Saffold on his left at RG.
I'm afraid the market will be too high for us to resign him without overpaying. Gonna be one hell of a negotiation to get it done

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he should be brought back but the RT spot should be one up for grabs in TC depending on what else they do in FA and the draft.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm afraid the market will be too high for us to resign him without overpaying. Gonna be one hell of a negotiation to get it done

I really doubt it. Barksdale is relatively unknown. I can't see any team giving him a big deal especially after last season. He's a big question mark, but nobody knows him better than the Rams staff, and we'll probably give him a fair offer to stick around.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If barkdale becomes the weakest player on the line next year, then that's a very ideal situation. I would love to see a stout line

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I really doubt it. Barksdale is relatively unknown. I can't see any team giving him a big deal especially after last season. He's a big question mark, but nobody knows him better than the Rams staff, and we'll probably give him a fair offer to stick around.
I thought the same thing about Saffold. Sure call it just the Raiders being the Raiders, but people are paid a lot of money to find guys just like Barks.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I thought the same thing about Saffold. Sure call it just the Raiders being the Raiders, but people are paid a lot of money to find guys just like Barks.

Saffold was a good prospect turned second-round draft pick that was coveted by several teams and had played at a high level at tackle for several seasons outside of injury. He also got a lot of attention in league circles with his elite guard play when the Rams run game took off in the second-half of 2013.

I think the two situations are completely different.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets bring him back then...but it takes two to tango. Gotta be willing to sign for a reasonable amount.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I tend to agree with some of the others above that his play tailed off due to having colossal f-ups in Joseph and Wells to his left. Hope he will agree to come back on a reasonable deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He went from having saffold to his left last year to Joseph this year. Poor guy no wonder he had a down year.

Help me out here do the Rams need to really overpay (paying high cap dollars & long term contract) for a one (1) position player who had a fair to poor overall on field performance in 2014 & in order for this OT to play well he has to have the Rams best OL'er next to him to prop him up?

Is it wrong to ask that a OT who we pay high $$$ can stand on his own & play good no matter who is lined up to his left?

I am in agreement here with jrry32 JB needs to play much better if he wants a big contract...thus he needs to meet the Rams half way back here. Rams should expect JB to sign a shorter contract for lesser $$ until he can stand on his own & play good football. If JB can do that then he will be a richly rewarded wealthy long term Ram.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Rams should expect JB to sign a shorter contract for lesser $$ until he can stand on his own & play good football. If JB can do that then he will be a richly rewarded wealthy long term Ram.

I can't imagine he'd get more than that from anybody. The Rams have a clear picture of what they've got in Barksdale. I can't see another team giving him a lucrative deal with the questions he created with his 2014 season.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If he doesn't resign here, then we've got to find 3 new starters in the draft or FA. I'd say resign him, and let Wells and Joseph walk.

FRO

Legend
We could do worse at RT. If most of our team was set I would let him go and get our RT in the draft, since it isn't we need to resign him, hope he rebounds, and if not replace him next year. I'm all for bringing him back. If he hits the open market he is gone.

Help me out here do the Rams need to really overpay (paying high cap dollars & long term contract) for a one (1) position player who had a fair to poor overall on field performance in 2014 & in order for this OT to play well he has to have the Rams best OL'er next to him to prop him up?

Is it wrong to ask that a OT who we pay high $$$ can stand on his own & play good no matter who is lined up to his left?

I am in agreement here with jrry32 JB needs to play much better if he wants a big contract...thus he needs to meet the Rams half way back here. Rams should expect JB to sign a shorter contract for lesser $$ until he can stand on his own & play good football. If JB can do that then he will be a richly rewarded wealthy long term Ram.
I'm not saying sign him to a blockbuster deal broski. I'm simply saying an o-line is like a chain and if one link is broken it brings the whole unit down especially if the guy next to you shouldn't be in The league. I wouldn't mind him signing a short term "prove it" deal but I don't think his performance last year (2013) was a fluke, he's proven he can be a quality player.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Barksdale or any other starter in the NFL is not unknown. Every team has a pro personnel department whose sole purpose is to grade and rank every player in the league. While the Rams will obviously know more about him, other teams will have an opinion on him. The question will be how they value him. There is no way to know that. It only takes one team who really likes him to drive up his price. There will also probably be few quality O linemen available in free agency so that too could drive up his price. I wouldn't count on getting him for a discount....but you never know how these things will play out. If he does get away they have 3 holes on the O-line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The only trouble that I have with this thought is that you cannot have pro bowl talent at every position. Sometimes Good has to be good enough.