JL to Saints

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...james-laurinaitis-has-a-lot-left-in-the-tank/

New Saints linebacker James Laurinaitis has “a lot left in the tank”
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 25, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthhzdvjmmvjmwjjotc2ngqwodk4zwm2yti3ymzimti3-e1446170799879.jpeg
AP

If former Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis played a different sport, or a different position, he’d have probably needed Tommy John surgery.

But now with the Saints, the veteran linebacker says he’s ready to go in 2016, with what he hopes is a Super Bowl contender.

Look, I have a lot left in the tank and can go out there and play great football,” Laurinaitis said, via Joel Erickson of the New Orleans Advocate. “Can’t really prove it until the fall when the games start and they matter.”

Laurinaitis said he suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament last year, but played through the injury with a brace. He couldn’t lift weights or extend his arm fully, but stayed on the field for the Rams. That’s the kind of injury that can derail the careers of pitchers, but Laurinaitis has rarely missed a snap in his career, starting all 112 games.

He thought he was going to continue with the Rams to Los Angeles, but was cut before they left, sending him on a free agent tour that included the Falcons.

“Only a couple had a quarterback, an offense and a roster that I felt could be in the playoffs,” Laurinaitis said of his suitors, saying the Saints were the first to call.

The 29-year-old linebacker has been a consistent producer in his seven seasons, and is second in the league in tackles during that span. With the Saints, they’re hoping his presence in the middle will benefit second-year linebacker Stephone Anthony, who was one of the few reasons for optimism on that defense last year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“Only a couple had a quarterback, an offense and a roster that I felt could be in the playoffs,” Laurinaitis said of his suitors, saying the Saints were the first to call.
I hope he gets the chance to sniff some playoff games. James is a good dude.
But the Saints are on the heels of back-to-back 7-9 seasons themselves and Brees didn't suddenly discover the fountain of youth.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JL was over rated by some, under rated by many, but showed up every week and played hard.
Good luck to you in New Orleans, except when the Rams come to town!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope he makes the play-Offs! Can't say the same for Chris .. what's his name!?!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wish him the best.

I don't think I would have picked New Orleans, however. They don't strike me as a team on the rise.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I hope he gets the chance to sniff some playoff games. James is a good dude.
But the Saints are on the heels of back-to-back 7-9 seasons themselves and Brees didn't suddenly discover the fountain of youth.
I don't disagree, but it could have been teams like New Orleans, Philly, Miami and Houston that called. Out of those teams, who would you pick? Brees and that offense would be the best choice IMO. He also probably believes in himself to make that defense better.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Good for him I was always a fan of JL because of his professionalism and durability.But he was never going to be the MLB that this defense needs to take the next step.It's going to be strange to see Gurley run him over so good luck to him.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
No one has posted his contract details so here they are.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/james-laurinaitis/

James Laurinaitis signed a 3 year, $8,550,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $1,800,000 signing bonus, $1,800,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,850,000. In 2016, Laurinaitis will earn a base salary of $900,000, a signing bonus of $1,800,000 and a workout bonus of $50,000. Laurinaitis has a cap hit of $1,550,000 while his dead money value is $1,800,000.

He took a major pay cut. He was making 8.3 mill per season with us. Now 2.85 with the saints.

Good luck JL. Hope to see you in the playoffs.

RamBill

Legend
Laurinaitis wants to prove Rams wrong
By Jim Thomas St. Louis Post-Dispatch

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0de64f47-d0e3-5f9e-97a2-8201c697952b.html

The closer your parking space was to the players’ entrance at Rams Park, the closer your time was nearing an end with the team.

That was the running joke linebacker James Laurinaitis had with family and friends. With parking spaces assigned by seniority, turns out there was some truth to it. Laurinaitis made it all the way up to the No. 2 parking spot after seven seasons with the Rams.

Only defensive end Chris Long parked closer to the door, with eight seasons in St, Louis.

Both were released last month.

“You get to a point at (year) five or six and you never get surprised by anything anymore because you see so many guys you thought would be safe on cut day, and guys that would get released or traded,” Laurinaitis said Thursday in a conference call with New Orleans reporters.

Laurinaitis officially signed his contract with his new team, the Saints, this week.

What did surprise Laurinaitis about his Rams departure? Not only was sent information about the team’s March 4 informational meeting in Los Angeles, and asked if would attend, he also was asked by the team to do an interview for ESPN LA (and did so).

“And then two days later I was released,” Laurinaitis said. “That is what caught me off-guard. ... You understand it is a business, but the fact that there was really no communication — I think to have certain players do interviews for your organization and then to be released shocked me.”

The NFL can be a cold, cruel business. Just ask Rams fans in St. Louis still struggling with the departure of their team to Los Angeles.

In looking for a new team, Laurinaitis told agent Tom Condon that he wanted an organization that was a playoff contender with an established offense and a successful quarterback. Basically he had none of that during his time in St. Louis.

Then again, the Saints haven’t exactly been making deep playoff runs lately. The team has finished 7-9 in three of its last four seasons — not too different from the Rams under Jeff Fisher. But New Orleans did finish 11-5 in 2013. The Rams haven’t seen 11 or more wins in a season since 2003.

Laurinaitis told New Orleans reporters he was excited about the stability of the organization.

“When you have a coach like Asshole Face and you have a quarterback like Drew Brees, you always have a chance,” Laurinaitis said. “That’s all I kept receiving when I would get texts from guys around the league.”

Laurinaitis said five or six teams expressed interest in him following his Feb. 19 release by the Rams, but New Orleans was the first team to call.

“Their vision for me was they want someone to come in that has leadership and that had football intelligence to help some of the young players,” Laurinaitis said.

The Rams released Laurinaitis because they felt he was a declining player. According to a source at Rams Park some of the in-house evaluations were harsh, saying Laurinaitis “was holding the defense hostage” because he had become a liability in man coverage, and that the team could “be so much better” at middle linebacker.

Laurinaitis, 29, obviously feels otherwise.

“Whenever you are released by a team or fired, because essentially that is what it is ... there is definitely extra motivation to go out there and prove yourself,” Laurinaitis said. “Look, I have a lot left in the tank, and can go out there and play great football,”

According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Laurinaitis’ three-year deal is for $8.25 million. He was scheduled to make $5.8 million in 2016 with the Rams. Laurinaitis has sold his home in St. Louis, with an April 15 close.

FREE AGENCY REVIEW

Granted, Laurinaitis and Long were no longer wanted by the Rams. But even in a free agency period where the Rams prioritized re-signing their own players — particularly on defense — the team will have four new starters on defense in 2016.

“I’m pleased that we were able to retain some of our guys that were important to us,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said at the NFL owners meetings this week. “We knew going in there was a chance we’d probably lose one of the four defensive backs. I didn’t anticipate losing two. But we have depth on our roster.”

The Rams lost cornerback Janoris Jenkins (New York Giants) and free safety Rodney McLeod (Philadelphia) in free agency. They retained cornerback Trumaine Johnson via the franchise tag and re-signed hybrid Mark Barron to a five-year, $45 million deal that will have him playing weakside linebacker much more than safety.

As for Jenkins, who signed a monster $62.5 million contract with the Giants, Fisher said: “We were a lot closer than people think. I was a little disappointed. I thought we’d get him ... and then the money did take off.”

The Rams don’t have a clear-cut replacement for McLeod at free safety, and one possible option in free agency — Arizona’s Rashad Johnson — agreed to terms with Tennessee on Friday. Cincinnati’s Reggie Nelson, in whom the Rams have expressed some interest, remains on the market.

SUBTLE CRITICISM?

Long signed a one-year, $2.4 million contract with the Patriots. And Fisher had plenty of good things to say about Long when approached by New England writers at the NFC coaches breakfast.

“There’s no holes there,” Fisher said. “He’s great. Really consistent day in and day out over the years. Loved to come to work. Always had a great attitude. Playful. Jokes around — the right way. ... Obviously, last couple years injuries set him back. We released him and then 10 days later he texted me a picture of his newborn.”

But when asked how much Long, who turns 31 on Monday, had left in the tank, Fisher also suggested that Long needs to work out harder in the offsesason.

“If he’s gonna have anything to do with it, he’ll get it done,” Fisher said. “But that’s the question. It’s gonna be up to him. He’s gonna probably have to train a little bit more than he has in the past because of the injuries.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good for him I was always a fan of JL because of his professionalism and durability.But he was never going to be the MLB that this defense needs to take the next step.It's going to be strange to see Gurley run him over so good luck to him.
Don't forget you will also be see Fairley get 'Pan-Caked by Brown & Co.!:D

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Don't forget you will also be see Fairley get 'Pan-Caked by Brown & Co.!:D

Still hoping Fairly comes back NO can't really offer him to much.So maybe if all offers are close he'll come back to a stacked DL and benefit from it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Still hoping Fairly comes back NO can't really offer him to much.So maybe if all offers are close he'll come back to a stacked DL and benefit from it.
I hope so too. if he goes it just adds to all the "D" players we've been losing lately!! Of course there are a lot of good DT's in this years Draft!(y):D