JL not Overpaid?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
he could have just said "Bleacher Report" and left it at that, lol jk.

It was a great read though, he sure did show that BR lazy ass report up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good read. Thanks. JL is about the least of our problems and not anything like a hole needing to be filled. He is not that bone jarring tackler but he is almost always around the ball and has had to be the last line of defense with some pretty lack luster DT tandems at times.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Don't read what BR puts out there on the Rams so this is no surprise! Got to know the defense called to know if a guy's doing his job! The Rams know and are paying him accordingly.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Cap hit does not equal being over paid. His cap hit is larger on years that we don't have to extend players. It was very intelligently done.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cap hit does not equal being over paid. His cap hit is larger on years that we don't have to extend players. It was very intelligently done.
Yep. I believe CL's contract is structured the same way - no? KD's wicked smart on these things.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yep. I believe CL's contract is structured the same way - no? KD's wicked smart on these things.

Chris's deal is pretty heavy, here out. It's not horrific for a top DE, if he plays well.

It appears we front loaded 2012 pretty good. Again, not sure... But it looks like we tried to spend more early in hope of affording him and others late.

image.jpg

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow, that ended the debate in my mind. I expect he'll have an even better year with the infamously aggressive Greg Williams at the helm. Very exciting! BTW, Sam isn't overpaid, either. Look what good starters cost, he earns his money. His supporting cast was very poor his first 3 seasons. Honestly, he overachieved with Ammemdola and Gibson. He is the new Eli Manning.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
A lot of people underestimate the massive role a MLB has in a 4-3 defense. I am a huge JL55 fan and I can not understand how people can watch him play every sunday and say he isn't worth it. People get too caught up in numbers and stats. JMO.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Not a fan of JL 'in the hole' taking on RB's man-up, but the piece supports him as one of the best: see cut and paste below

Regardless of your personal view of James Laurinaitus, labeling the Rams inside linebacker “mediocre” is a tough sell.

Since his inception into the NFL, the St. Louis’ signal caller has ranked Top 10 in the NFL in solo tackles in four of his five seasons; the last player to accomplish that feat in his first five seasons was Patrick Willis. In his most recent season, despite being dethroned by Alec Ogletree for the tackle title in St. Louis, Laurinaitis ranked Top 15 in nearly every other meaningful category, including sacks, fumble recoveries, pass deflections, interceptions, and, most importantly, defensive stops. He was also one of only two inside linebackers to play at least 75% of total defensive snaps and not allow a touchdown in coverage, despite dropping back on 50.8% of his defensive snaps last year.

However, to directly address some of the issues mentioned in the article by Langland…

The post does make an interesting point on “missed tackles,” but throws that figure into the equation without much context. To be fair, Laurinaitis did, in fact, miss 13 tackles last season. However, Derrick Johnson, who was ironically used as a contrasting figure, lead the NFL in missed tackles, while Luke Kuechly, the reining AP Defensive Player of the Year, missed 14 tackles during the 2013 regular season. To put that number into even greater context, Laurinaitis also ranked Top 10 in tackling efficiency versus the run among inside linebacker that played at least 75% of the team’s defensive snaps; ahead of both Kuechly and Johnson. Context.

Langland also dredges up Laurinaitis’ putrid -5.7 run stoppage grade, which comes courtesy of Pro Football Focus (PFF). However, PFF has been known to significantly undervalue 4-3 linebackers, made blatantly obvious by Kuechly grading outside of the Top 5 overall inside linebackers in the NFL last season. In fact, the Carolina Panthers’ master defender graded out 20th overall among linebackers, according to PFF, with 15 of those “superior” linebackers playing in a 3-4 base. Moreover, despite subjectively grading Laurinaitis 41st overall among inside linebackers against the run (out of 55), he ranked 20th overall in run stop percentage (i.e. the percentage of a player’s run defense snaps where he was responsible for a run stop), easily trumping players like Daryl Washington and Patrick Willis.

In fact, using run stop percentage as a reasonable metric for an individual’s ability to “stop the run,” Laurinaitis has ranked in the Top 20 in four of his five NFL seasons, and within the Top 10 twice, including 3rd overall in 2010. While the might not seem impressive, Patrick Willis, who is widely regarded as one of the top inside linebackers in the NFL, has broken into the Top 20 only twice in the last five seasons, and has never ranked higher than 18th in run stop percentage since 2009.

To compare those “run stoppage” numbers to some of the other top paid inside linebackers, the five players averaging a higher annual salary than Laurinaitis ranked 4th, 9th, 16th, 32nd, or did not play enough snaps to qualify (Brian Cushing) for a ranking last year; the five players directly below Laurinaitis’ annual salary ranked 1st (Paul Posluszny), 24th, 28th, 29th, or did not play enough snaps to qualify (Sean Lee) for a ranking last year.

To put it simply, Laurinaitis has produced at a rate well worth the amount of money he is being paid by the St. Louis Rams. Despite having a “mediocre” supporting cast for the vast majority of his career and being forced to play in the nickel package more than any other inside linebacker in the NFL, the former-Ohio State superstar hasconsistently put up Top 10 figures across the board. Assuming that most would base players’ annual salaries on “their numbers” on the field, Laurinaitis is right in the ballpark of where he should be getting paid. Better yet, he’ll only be averaging $6.1 million from 2015 through 2017, which would barely notch his annual salary within the Top 15 inside linebackers in the league. Bargain.

…oh yea! James Laurinaitis has only missed 13 total defensive snaps

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Due to the hype created by the Ray Ray thread, I decided to peruse-go over the main argument as to why he won't be on the field for the majority of defensive snaps, particularly on 2nd & 3rd downs, when I believe a skill set such as Ray Ray possesses would be of greatest use. I don't really like PFF. Some stats are hard to quantify. Like willis not being a great run stopping LB. If Bowman gets there first, Is it Willis' fault? If the RB changes direction and runs into another defender, is it Willis' fault he's not credited for the stop? If a LB can't get there, is he credited for a missed tackle? If he can, but misses the tackle, is he worse than a LB that has worse/less foot speed, and isn't in the same amount of plays?
JL proves the theory, Availability>Ability. But is he a top 10 ILB? Is he even top 3 on this young team? That's a question for the coaches. As a fan, I see him making stops 4-5 yards downfield, and I say, a MLB main job is to tackle the runners. I look at stats like TFL, FF & tipped passes/passes defensed. Total tackles can be skewed by scheme. Look at the Ravens with the massive Halodi Nata in the middle eating up blockers for Ray Lewis set up to make all the plays.
Diaper break....Consequently, we'll see if JL55 can return to a semblance of the 2008-2009 version, or is this adequate MLB the player that we all want to take this defense into the top 10...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When you consider that the Rams restructured his salary to keep him from hitting the open market, you have to take into account that the price for his services may have been much more than what they ended up paying him in advance. Market demand dictates what he's worth -- not Bleacher Report or any other blog publication.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It seems like every time I see an article authored by Tyson Langford regarding the Rams, he's bashing them. Seems like a trend to me.