JJ Watt (reportedly) has back surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...oes-back-surgery-will-start-camp-on-pup-list/

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has never missed a regular season game, but there's a chance that could change in 2016.

According to the Houston Chronicle's John McClain, Watt underwent back surgery this week and is expected to be on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list when the Texans take the field for their first practice of training camp on July 31.

Watt's back was one of almost a dozen parts of his body that were bothering him when the 2015 season ended.

"Last year (2015), was definitely by far the most strenuous on my body that I've ever had, fighting through a bunch of things that I've never dealt with before," Watt told SportsRadio 610 in March. "We had the broken hand. I had a herniated disk in my back halfway through the year. I had, obviously, everything that went on with my groins and I don't think everyone fully understand what that process was like."

Not only did Watt have to deal with a herniated disk and broken hand in 2015, but he also had to deal with five fully or partially torn core muscles, including a tear in his groin.

Ouch.

It's not yet known if Watt will miss any games in 2016, but it could happen. According to NFL.com, it could take up to 10 weeks before Watt's healthy enough to play, which means he would be out for the Texans' first two games of the regular season (Bears, Chiefs).

hand, there's a chance that Watt won't miss any games. McClain has reported that the three-time Defensive Player of the Year "should" be ready for Houston's regular season opener against the Bears.

For the Texans, the downside of Watt trying to fit his recovery into such a tight time-frame is that if the defensive end suffers any kind of setback during rehab, that could potentially lead to Watt missing several games.

Watt went through a similar situation in 2012 when he missed the entire preseason with an elbow injury. However, not only did he return, but he ended up playing in all 16 games and winning his first Defensive Player of the Year award.

As things stand, Watt will start camp on the preseason PUP list. A player who is placed on the PUP list before training camp starts can be taken off at any time.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Herniated disc is very uncomfortable, good thing he is still on the younger side and has tons of money to get it taken care of. I remember Steven Jackson had disc surgery when he was with the Rams. I have two herniated discs that popped during work about 3 years ago. I was out for 3 months , very painful , couldn't walk. I had to get a epidural shot that relieved the nerve pain and then it was rehab for a couple months. It is still a struggle on a daily basis living with the low back pain , knowing I should be more pro active and do core exercises on a regular basis. But i am to lazy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...oes-back-surgery-will-start-camp-on-pup-list/

Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has never missed a regular season game, but there's a chance that could change in 2016.

According to the Houston Chronicle's John McClain, Watt underwent back surgery this week and is expected to be on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list when the Texans take the field for their first practice of training camp on July 31.

Watt's back was one of almost a dozen parts of his body that were bothering him when the 2015 season ended.

"Last year (2015), was definitely by far the most strenuous on my body that I've ever had, fighting through a bunch of things that I've never dealt with before," Watt told SportsRadio 610 in March. "We had the broken hand. I had a herniated disk in my back halfway through the year. I had, obviously, everything that went on with my groins and I don't think everyone fully understand what that process was like."

Not only did Watt have to deal with a herniated disk and broken hand in 2015, but he also had to deal with five fully or partially torn core muscles, including a tear in his groin.

Ouch.

It's not yet known if Watt will miss any games in 2016, but it could happen. According to NFL.com, it could take up to 10 weeks before Watt's healthy enough to play, which means he would be out for the Texans' first two games of the regular season (Bears, Chiefs).

hand, there's a chance that Watt won't miss any games. McClain has reported that the three-time Defensive Player of the Year "should" be ready for Houston's regular season opener against the Bears.

For the Texans, the downside of Watt trying to fit his recovery into such a tight time-frame is that if the defensive end suffers any kind of setback during rehab, that could potentially lead to Watt missing several games.

Watt went through a similar situation in 2012 when he missed the entire preseason with an elbow injury. However, not only did he return, but he ended up playing in all 16 games and winning his first Defensive Player of the Year award.

As things stand, Watt will start camp on the preseason PUP list. A player who is placed on the PUP list before training camp starts can be taken off at any time.
From what I have heard other players say, on NFLN, part of JJ's problem is he over-trains in the off season. he doesn't give his body a chance to recover from the beating it takes all season long, and this has caused his problem! IDK, food for thought!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Herniated disc is very uncomfortable, good thing he is still on the younger side and has tons of money to get it taken care of. I remember Steven Jackson had disc surgery when he was with the Rams. I have two herniated discs that popped during work about 3 years ago. I was out for 3 months , very painful , couldn't walk. I had to get a epidural shot that relieved the nerve pain and then it was rehab for a couple months. It is still a struggle on a daily basis living with the low back pain , knowing I should be more pro active and do core exercises on a regular basis. But i am to lazy.
All kidding aside, it is debilitating when your back goes out sometimes. I feel for you man. I had some disk issues once, in my 20's and could barely move for several days. I know there are some ab exercises that can be done to strengthen your core, but not put a strain on the back. Traditional sit-ups don't isolate the abs enough, and can put strain on the back.

As far as Watt goes, (and Quinn, for that matter,) something like this can fizzle out a great career pretty quickly.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I don't hate Watt, but as much as I loathe the ENTIRE city of Houston -and the Texans- this makes me laugh.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's too bad, really. I'd take Donald over him every single time. Was really looking forward to the media snapping out of their WWF man-crush and hourly "JJ Watt" salad tossing on the airwaves when they get a load of what AD does with a healthy Quinn on the edge.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I predict JJ will return week 8 and will still win DPOY after Aaron Donald has a 15 sack season because the voters are a joke.