JJ Watt and DPOY

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'll admit before I finish this topic that I do not keep up with the Texans and hardly ever watch their games. I will also say that I know JJ is a great player, one of the best.

Now:

All year long through the DPOY debates I read how JJ is so deserving because he faces double and triple teams all the time - beating them a lot of the time. Sure this does happen. . . .

But what I noticed today was the Texans chipping him and letting their Oline go one-on-one with him. I don't recall seeing him take on double or triple teams at all today. So what gives?

Do the Texans' fans just hype him up too much? Did the Chiefs come in with a plan to not over exert themselves on JJ?

I know for a fact that our very own Donald takes on Double teams constantly. I watched it!

So while it is often argued that JJ deserves DPOY because he is often receiving so much attention. After today's game I just can't quite side with that argument.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Donald gets doubled and has better stats. Donald should unseat Watt, but that is a tough draw being on the Rams.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
watching the game, chiefs had a plan to take him out of the action for the most part. Similar to what they did against us last season. Short stuff and misdirection that leaves the defensive line looking for the action instead of in the middle of it. Frustrates them, also slows them as they start waiting to watch where play goes rather than just rush in.

Smith is smart enough to read and react and to get D off balance like this in a game plan. Like I say, very similar to what they did to us last year....

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Watts a force. He's legitimately amazing. But Donald's been better. Like you say I don't think Watt gets as many double teams as they make out. Donald's penetration that he gets almost as the ball is snapped on almost every play is ludicrous. He almost takes hand offs instead of the running back at times.

I think a lot of people have got a bit blade about how good Watt is though - award fatigue or something. His numbers from the technique he plays are astonishing so I couldn't have a problem if he got it, it's just that Donald has been better.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
watching the game, chiefs had a plan to take him out of the action for the most part. Similar to what they did against us last season. Short stuff and misdirection that leaves the defensive line looking for the action instead of in the middle of it. Frustrates them, also slows them as they start waiting to watch where play goes rather than just rush in.

Smith is smart enough to read and react and to get D off balance like this in a game plan. Like I say, very similar to what they did to us last year....

Would have been different if the Texans or us got a lead against them. That opening play kickoff return was a huge play in the game for that reason. You get them down two scores and make Smith sit in the pocket and get the pass rush going and they'll find it difficult. The Chiefs are built to win with defense and game management by Smith (he's a bit better than that to be fair - he makes good plays with his legs when nothing's happening and he can move the chains regularly). There are more "complete" teams that will beat them.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's astonishing to me is how often Donald has a double team coming at him and he splits the double. . . He splits the two guys that know when the ball is going to be hiked! Just incredible!

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Would have been different if the Texans or us got a lead against them. That opening play kickoff return was a huge play in the game for that reason. You get them down two scores and make Smith sit in the pocket and get the pass rush going and they'll find it difficult. The Chiefs are built to win with defense and game management by Smith (he's a bit better than that to be fair - he makes good plays with his legs when nothing's happening and he can move the chains regularly). There are more "complete" teams that will beat them.

honestly I think they can play with anyone right now. I doubt they would be favored vs. the Pats or Den, but right now both those teams have their issues and KC can beat them. They would be underdogs to AZ or CAR, but I would not be surprised if they won.

This with the injures this year, heck they lost a all-pro RB, I think everyone wrote them off at that point (especially with how the team started the season). Reid is an excellent coach, and maybe the best without a ring currently coaching....

BTW - got a bit OT....Donald is a beast and clearly a top 5 D player in the NFL, and arguably the best...

tempests

Hall of Fame
I don't know who gets double teamed the most or if anyone keeps track of that. My impression the last few years, though is JJ gets more attention than any other player in the league. And why wouldn't he? Most dominant defensive lineman of his generation.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Its much easier to double team a DT than a DE, especially on runs. In pass pro, a lot of double teams against a DE has to come from a TE (dont want to keep your TE in to block all the time) or a RB (lol). So while Watt surely gets more attention than most players, its likely that he gets doubled less than Donald.

fearsomefour

Legend
Watt, Donald, Mack....all legit contenders.
I think Donald should get of course.
The "NFL machine" will probably want Watt to get it.....I mean look at his freaking endless stream of self serving commercials.
I wonder if the guy would buy someone a sandwich without a camera being on?
Don't care for him in that aspect.
Just smells of Dbag to me.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Donald earned it but Watt will get it because he has more publicity. That is the modern NFL/ America.

Debacled

Starter
If you guys think JJ Watt isn't being doubled or chipped on virtually every play, chances are your homering the Rams a little too hard.

Both players are deserving. Bottom line is Watt plays more snaps, was on a playoff team (I know team stat not player stat but voters will look at that), and he led the league in sacks.

Its not an attention thing. He led the league in sacks while playing in a 3-4 as a hand in the dirt lineman. The dude played through a broken hand and shredded groin this year as well. I love me some Aaron Donald, but Watt has it this year.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
If you guys think JJ Watt isn't being doubled or chipped on virtually every play, chances are your homering the Rams a little too hard.

Both players are deserving. Bottom line is Watt plays more snaps, was on a playoff team (I know team stat not player stat but voters will look at that), and he led the league in sacks.

Its not an attention thing. He led the league in sacks while playing in a 3-4 as a hand in the dirt lineman. The dude played through a broken hand and shredded groin this year as well. I love me some Aaron Donald, but Watt has it this year.

They get doubled team at a very similar rate. At least that is what I read somewhere. Yes he rushes from the edge so that defintiely gives him a lot more opportunities to rack up the stats that voters look at.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Donald had the most dominant year, but if JJ Watt or Kalil Mack gets the DPY award how can you argue?