Jimmy Graham: TE or WR money?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If he hits the open market Im pretty sure he would get paid as much as a top receiver not named Calvin Johnson. some team would give him 10-12 mil a year easy.
I'm sure he will too. But no team is going to sign him as a wide receiver or play him as one exclusively.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
And, yes, I've seen the evidence of how Graham's production has declined when he's matched up against No. 1 cornerbacks instead of linebackers and safeties -- especially against New England and Seattle last season.
This perfectly illustrates my opinion. Which is that regardless of the subject of monetary compensation, to me a tight end is a tight end, and a slot receiver is a slot receiver.

Is your threat to block so bad that a team can feel comfortable covering you with a faster defensive back every time you step on the field and your effectiveness is essentially negated? If so, then your ability to create a mismatch is limited by that.

My point is that this is all relative. You may be able to force those mismatches against some teams, and then have your role significantly reduced against others. In that light, the percentage of games you can be expected to have the team's desired impact against would absolutely have a direct impact on your value to that team.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Makes me happy whenever I see praise heaped on Graham to remember how Jenkins stoned the hell out of him last season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he hits the open market Im pretty sure he would get paid as much as a top receiver not named Calvin Johnson. some team would give him 10-12 mil a year easy.

You could be right... But that type of contract would throw off your salary distribution model.

There is only so much to go around. Put it toward a position that doesn't pay at that level, you're at a disadvantage to fund the rest of your roster where that money is required at other positions.