Jimbo Fisher: Joyner One of My Favorite Players of All Time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher was a guest on NFL Radio during Day 3 of the Draft to talk about some of his players who were drafted.

Here's what was said when it got to Joyner:

Phil Savage: Lamarcus Joyner: one of my favorite players in the entire draft.

Jimbo Fisher: I'm going to tell you what, Lamarcus is one of my favorite players of all time. If we'd practice for 3 hours and I got mad and would say Hey, we're going to do this all over again, he'd come up to you and give you a hug and a kiss and say thank you. The way he played on the field is the way he practiced....every play was the national championship to him....and it affected the guys on this team....just unbelievably talented, but also unbelievable work ethic and competitiveness

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This is my favorite pick of the whole draft. Didn't know anything about him but within hours after they picked him, loved it.

FRO

Legend
Man that's great to read. You need those types on your team to push everybody towards greatness. He seems like he will be that gritty glue player that every great unit needs. He may never be the star, but he will be that irreplaceable guy. Guys who have that sort of love for the game and have that sort of skill rarely bust.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joyner Ready to Make Return on Rams’ Investment
By Jonathan Webb

St.LouisRams.com

Lamarcus Joyner is not one to appear short on confidence.

Though somewhat diminutive in stature, the 5’8” defensive back has shown a propensity to hold little back, whether he’s speaking to media or squaring up an opposing receiver.

The Rams’ second-round draft pick, who ranked highly on the Rams board of draft-eligible defensive backs, was rather enamored with the organization’s confidence in his ability when the Rams traded up to the 41st overall pick to select the Florida State product.

“I felt as though they made a sacrifice for me,” Joyner said. “I’m good with returning favors. I think that I owe them the same. I’m going to give all my heart, all my soul to this organization because that meant a lot for them to be able to do that, especially with all the great talent that’s out here. Trying to get into the National Football League and for these men to make that sacrifice for me, then I owe them the same thing in return.”

Joyner’s route to football stardom was a circuitous one. A native of Liberty City, Florida, one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Miami, football became not only a passion, but offered an improved lease on life. Joyner has leaned on both his work ethic and his faith for seeing him through in an environment that enveloped so many around him.

“I’ve been running away from that place all my life, which is why I do what I do on the field and in the weight room and the way I respect people,” Joyner said. “It’s a dream come true. Like I said, I’ve been running from that place all my life, and to be here and to be from afar, from where I come from – there’s no better feeling.”

Joyner parlayed his football exploits at the prep level to a four-year career at Florida State, where he snagged eight interceptions, while also becoming one of the most physical defensive backs in the Atlantic Coast Conference. His 5.5 sacks led the national champion Seminoles, a rarity for a cornerback. His physical and aggressive pedigree makes him an ideal fit in a Gregg Williams-led defense, a notion that made him an attractive option in the draft’s second round. When Tennessee emerged as a potential threat to grab Joyner two spots ahead, the Rams brokered a deal with Buffalo for the 41st pick. Confirming the team’s suspicions, Tennessee followed by trading out of the 42nd selection.

Following the Rams’ decision, Joyner immediately turned his attention back to the style of play that has defined his college career, and made him a must-have prospect for the Rams’ coaching and scouting staffs.

“I feel like nobody wants to be physical for 60 minutes,” Joyner said. “It’s like fighting someone in the boxing ring. You punch that guy with all you have and he looks at you in the eye and says, ‘That’s all you have?’ That takes the spirit out of someone. So I play physical football because I know no man is going to want to play 60 minutes like I am. My whole mentality is I’m going to make the guy across the line from me quit before I do.”

Should Joyner succeed in his aggressive outlook, he’ll be sure to make the Rams’ investment in the second-round talent well worth the cost.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I love everything I read about him. He sounds like a football machine.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't believe a single word that comes out of that scumbag's mouth. That said I like the pick.

Its rough these days being a Gator...My Gators keep running their mouths and beating their chest & loose ....while the FSU bunch keeps beating their opponents & running drafted future stars into the NFL. S:(ad days for me Gators.

Joyner has not just started being good he has been good for a long long time. He's bona fide & he is a suitor!

Its rough these days being a Gator...My Gators keep running their mouths and beating their chest & loose ....while the FSU bunch keeps beating their opponents & running drafted future stars into the NFL. S:(ad days for me Gators.

Joyner has not just started being good he has been good for a long long time. He's bona fide & he is a suitor!

I'd rather lose than win with Winston and Jimbo.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Joyner is a guy that can be a leader. Only the few are chosen with true elite physicality. Other players can't relate. They can however look at Joyner and say yes I can be like him . I can put forth full effort and get the most out of myself.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

joyner will be the player they wanted finnigan to be. fin's legs couldn't do it anymore for him. joyner has young, fresh legs and will bring that physical presence that fin couldn't bring anymore. slot wrs better watch out when they play the rams.