Jim Thomas Talks Rams Training Camp: Robinson vs. Sam in 1 on 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas joined Bryan Burwell on 920 AM to talk about the start of training camp. Greg Robinson was playing some LT due to the limited numbers in camp right now. Michael Sam went up against him a few times in pass rush drills and he did ok….getting good penetration on a couple of plays. Sam has lost 13 lbs. and looked a little quicker. Thomas talks about the amount of publicity the Rams are getting this year, in due partly to Michael Sam, but primarily because of the improvement of the roster.

Listen to Jim Thomas Interview

Interview Starts at 12:00

FRO

Legend
Never in the history of the game has a 7th round pick been so talked about.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Never in the history of the game has a 7th round pick been so talked about.
Yeah that he didn't get buried is news ? Q: So is it an indication of Sam being better than expected or GR being worse?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Yeah its a little worrisome that Sam did some damage against Robinson.

A320driver

Rookie
Hooey was asked to come in and help out early this year like brandon Washington did last year ...what you didnt hear was Sean kicked Sams ass in a big way...hes so far away from being anywhere close to Eugene who is Longs back up..I see maybe Sam making the practice squad ..Robinson will need all the help he can get from boo to get up to speed by September ..having jake and scott on either side of him will make it more manageable...GR is right about where they thought he would be.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not sure why people would be surprised or alarmed that Sam matches up vs. Robinson. If I do recall, they played against each other last year, and played in the same conference. They BOTH dominated at their positions. Once again, too many people are just looking at the draft position and not the "player". Michael Sam is not a typical 7th Round draft pick.

And from purely a pass blocking stand point, I would expect Robinson to struggle vs. speed rushers, including guys like Sam.

Greg Stone

Rookie
I don't know why people say Sam makes it to PS, not a chance someone doesn't pick him up.

And I suppose no one thought him worthy of a 7th round pick? The reason teams stayed away from drafting him is the same reason he is unlikely to get nabbed from the PS. Unless a team has a dire emergency and no one else to turn to they will not want to restart the media circus in their own town.

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
What I heard in the interview is that Sam was able to get some push up field on Robinson a couple times, but then Sam would get off balance. Robinson was playing LT while Sam was playing RE. My take is that LT's often let RE's speed rush a bit outside, push them up field and then neutralize them. It would be different if the report said that Sam was able to run around Robinson with both speed rushes, rip or spin moves to the QB...that didn't sound like the case.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not really, Sam's not half the bad player everybody paints him out to be, the guy has the credentials he has for a reason. He may be a tweener, but if he works his ass off he can find a place on a NFL roster, this is less of a knock on Robinson and more of a show of force from Sam.

bluecoconuts

Legend
And I suppose no one thought him worthy of a 7th round pick? The reason teams stayed away from drafting him is the same reason he is unlikely to get nabbed from the PS. Unless a team has a dire emergency and no one else to turn to they will not want to restart the media circus in their own town.

A team will grab him for the good PR alone, he's selling jerseys fast, and hes got the resume to support taking a chance on him. so another team who isn't as strong on the dline will scoop him up. I guarantee you he wouldn't make it to the PS, SF or Seattle would both love to get any information on our defense/D-line they can.

Athos

Legend

Why? Sam entrenched in what he's used to. Robinson learning the pass protection. Also speaks volumes of Sam's ability to get to the QB as well. That's a good thing.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
A team will grab him for the good PR alone, he's selling jerseys fast, and hes got the resume to support taking a chance on him. so another team who isn't as strong on the dline will scoop him up. I guarantee you he wouldn't make it to the PS, SF or Seattle would both love to get any information on our defense/D-line they can.

With what I've seen they've done to upgrade their OL, it won't matter if Sam tells them every thing. From what I've seen it's the same people who got whipped last year, minus the RT.

Seattle that is.

bluecoconuts

Legend
With what I've seen they've done to upgrade their OL, it won't matter if Sam tells them every thing. From what I've seen it's the same people who got whipped last year, minus the RT.

Seattle that is.

It always matters. Knowing what your opponent is going to do is huge. That's how we beat the niners two years ago.

Greg Stone

Rookie
It always matters. Knowing what your opponent is going to do is huge. That's how we beat the niners two years ago.

I agree that it matters but you are overlooking the fact that close to 40 players are going to be cut. They don't need Sam to get an inside look at the defense.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Not sure why people would be surprised or alarmed that Sam matches up vs. Robinson. If I do recall, they played against each other last year, and played in the same conference. They BOTH dominated at their positions. Once again, too many people are just looking at the draft position and not the "player". Michael Sam is not a typical 7th Round draft pick.

And from purely a pass blocking stand point, I would expect Robinson to struggle vs. speed rushers, including guys like Sam.
Yep ... thus why they are starting him at LG and getting him up to speed with the NFL game and work on pass blocking.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Can't like this post enough. Well stated Coach.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Tony?...............is that you? :sneaky: