Jim Thomas Talks O-Line and Drafting A QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Post-Dispatch Rams beat writer Jim Thomas joined The Wendy’s Big Show on Monday to discuss a plethora of topics surrounding the team with only a month left until the NFL Draft. Topics include the O-Line, the Stadium situation, and drafting a QB.

Listen to JT Talk Rams

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that NFL owners meetings are over, what's next for the Rams?

"In a normal year, a team 95 percent of the time from here on out is spent on the draft. The Pro Days start to wane, you bring in the top 30 players (for draft visits). Picking 10th overall...it's pretty good real estate. I'm really thinking this week we might see some clarification on the offensive line picture. Joe Barksdale is still on his honeymoon. We're sitting here at the same spot as we were (on March 10). The Rams need a center, they need a starting right guard, and they need a starting right tackle."

Latest on Los Angeles relocation situation:

"We're recalibrating on the LA-St. Louis front. I think what the St. Louis people are doing now are quietly trying to assemble that land. I do know this: They haven't slowed down. And then you have that May 18 meeting in San Francisco, the leagues spring meetings, that's kind of the next big milepost for when all the owners get together. We may have some presentations there...including possibly ones for (Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz)."

On Jeff Fisher saying plan is for Rams to draft a quarterback:

"It's good to hear it stated officially. Now, last year at this time...they dropped a lot of hints that they were going to (draft) a quarterback in the third, fourth round...That turned out to be Garrett Gilbert in the sixth round. It makes all the sense in the world to keep three QBs next year. All three on the roster now, they don't have contracts next year. So why not bring in a young up and comer? The theory is you basically redshirt (a quarterback they draft)."

ESPN.com's Todd McShay had a mock draft where the Rams trade up to No. 2 overall in the draft to select Marcus Mariotta. Thoughts?

"I just don't know what you want to give up to get up to that spot. The Rams do have that extra second pick next year...but yeah, I just can't see that. Fisher said it at the owners meeting...take it with a grain of salt...it was highly unlikely they would trade up. If he falls (to the Jets at No. 6) I think a lot of teams would be interested in trading up."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ms-Offensive-Line-Drafting-a-Quarterback.aspx