Jim Thomas Talks Foles Contract Extension, NFL Owners Meetings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is heading to the Chicago, Ill. area for this week’s special NFL owners meeting being held to focus on the future of professional football in Los Angeles. Thomas joined The Wendy’s Big Show Monday to discuss the issue and other topics surrounding the St. Louis Rams.

Listen to JT Talk Rams

=============

On Rams signing QB Nick Foles to a two-year extension:

"It's still a little strange to me that they'd be in such a hurry to get it done. He hasn't thrown a pass for the Rams. He's a guy who's had some injury problems. I was just a little surprised the Rams went...out on it this quick."

On the contract's structure:

"Very interesting the way it was structured. It's only until 2017. I don't think a lot of people picked up on it...but Foles can void it after the 2016 year based on team wins and if he makes the Pro Bowl. This tells me...they couldn't agree to compensation and a long-term deal. But they do lock him up potentially for two years."

More on Foles:

"Just the way he's approached being the quarterback. I think they really like the way he's established his presence in the building, in the locker room. I think that's all factored in as well. I'm sure the hope this gives them a shred of stability at the position."

What do you think we will learn from the NFL owners meetings?

"I don't think there are any votes expected. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the club owners on what they thought of the Inglewood and Carson presentations. There's not going to be a presentation by St. Louis. I think they'll present to the full ownership at the October meetings. I'm sure there will be a lot of talk on a timetable...We're getting close now. We're in the fourth quarter here."

"Here's how I look at the thing. Stan Kroenke...is going to try to dazzle them. But I think he still has some things working against him."

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...rprised-by-Nick-Foles-Contract-Extension.aspx

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is the way I see the contract. They lock up Foles for 2 years and give him an out if he exceeds expectations...........at which time they sweeten the pot. However, if he is not so great they have a capable QB for 2 years, which gives them time to coach Mannion up to take over.

I don't think the two years had anything to do with them not being able to reach a longterm deal. The Rams don't want to overspend on what is still a bit of an unknown quantity. The deal can be renegotiated if it is warranted.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically if the Rams have success AND Foles is one of the better QBs in the league, he has a chance for a big payday early. If he doesn't work out, only $14 million is guaranteed, which is cheap for a starting QB now a days. I can understand some being nervous, but frankly there are zero options without risk.

If the Rams wanted a quality starting QB, it was either pay Bradford nearly $13 million for 2015, with all of the risks of his health - and being in a situation of either paying Bradford a lot in 2016 and beyond, or starting over. They could have bid a lot for a backup QB masquerading as a starter. They could have traded a bunch of picks to try to move up and get an elite QB prospect who might or might not have worked out. They chose to trade for a young QB and after practicing with him, give him a little time to succeed or for the Rams to develop somebody else.

Personally, I think it's a good balance the Rams are doing - not a sure thing, but given their actual options a reasonable thing to do.