Jim Thomas Rams Update: No One Saw It Coming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Good point, but nobody knew anything about Warner at that point. Hell, that could have been construed as negligible on Vermeil's part, as Warner had done exactly nothing up to that point. And I know for certain that no Rams fans were at all encouraged by the prospects of going into the season with Warner at the time. All kinds of veteran QB names were being tossed around after Green went down, and Vermeil was looking at Hostetler. Luckily for us, Warner is who he knew he was and the rest is history.

I'm actually talking about 2000, the season after the Rams won the Super Bowl and when Green was coming back from his ACL tear. We knew who Warner was going into 2000 because he had a ring, an MVP, and a SB MVP under his belt and was coming off a season in which he was at that time only the second guy to throw more than 40 TD's in a season ... and we knew what we had in Green as well.

But if your over-arching point is that it was a fluke that we ended up in that type of situation, I totally agree with that. Having a 1-2 combo at QB like that only happens by extreme good luck, no amount of planning or reasonable salary cap allocation can make it happen. Just as a guy injuring the same ACL two years in a row on fluky plays is extreme bad luck, and you can't really fault the coaches or GM for not planning for it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good point, but nobody knew anything about Warner at that point. Hell, that could have been construed as negligible on Vermeil's part, as Warner had done exactly nothing up to that point. And I know for certain that no Rams fans were at all encouraged by the prospects of going into the season with Warner at the time. All kinds of veteran QB names were being tossed around after Green went down, and Vermeil was looking at Hostetler. Luckily for us, Warner is who he knew he was and the rest is history.

There was one guy that use to do camp reports, I cannot recall his name and I only saw his posts in some old Herd archives because that time and place was before me finding that board. He called it right on with Warner. He was saying how he was killing it in practices, the ball wasn't touching the ground and was placed on the money and that he looked more accurate than Green did and about every other superlative you could think of.

The rest of us in Rams Nation all around the world were thinking "oh fuck there goes another year".......and then this.......happened.

1018_mid.jpg

Bildeaux

UDFA
I think the poster is talking about 2000 and you're referring to 1999. In 2000, Warner was the 1 and Green the 2 - I think Kurt missed like 6 games that season, something like that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There was one guy that use to do camp reports, I cannot recall his name and I only saw his posts in some old Herd archives because that time and place was before me finding that board. He called it right on with Warner. He was saying how he was killing it in practices, the ball wasn't touching the ground and was placed on the money and that he looked more accurate than Green did and about every other superlative you could think of.

The rest of us in Rams Nation all around the world were thinking "oh freak there goes another year".......and then this.......happened.

1018_mid.jpg
I just wonder if anyone has calculated the odds of this happening again!?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think the poster is talking about 2000 and you're referring to 1999. In 2000, Warner was the 1 and Green the 2 - I think Kurt missed like 6 games that season, something like that.
Yeah, he was, and I misread him.

Welcome to the board, by the way. I recognize you from somewhere else.
We're gonna have to talk about your avatar though. The Jesus is my bowling nemesis. :sneaky:

Alan

Legend
Warner4Prez thinking of politics:
Be careful out there! That type of nickname will cost you an NBA franchise. :eek:
Typical Craw-cray-shone remark. :rolleyes:
images

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We've all watched enough football to know... Teams rise above adversity to become amazing stories. This team is talented enough for that to happen.

I am just tired of talking about the lack of offense. It's only one game. So let's see what happens.