Jim Thomas Rams Update: No One Saw It Coming

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas talks Rams on 920am. JT says nobody say this coming. So many problems….bad tackling, too many penalties, inability to hold the edge on defense, inability to run the ball effectively. The Rams have to win the next 2 to really have a chance of having a good season. The 8 games after that are brutal. JT talks about much more....

Listen to Jim Thomas Update

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't listen to this yet.

Our QB situation... Someone has to answer for that.

Our offensive ineptitude... Someone has to answer for that.

I am rooting for our guys, but the results are the results. I have stated many times our coach is a franchise coach... But that's a designation reserved for guys who get results.

Offensively; we have no results.

cracengl

Rookie
I can't listen to this yet.

Our offensive ineptitude... Someone has to answer for that.

I am rooting for our guys, but the results are the results. I have stated many times our coach is a franchise coach... But that's a designation reserved for guys who get results.

Offensively; we have no results.
I like Jeff. I think he's a good coach. But when he messes up, or his staff messes up, they do a lot of covering of asses. I hate when people downplay things when they are obvious. Didn't see it coming? Me either, but I'm not on the field or in the locker room every day. Come on Jeff.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Jeff. I think he's a good coach. But when he messes up, or his staff messes up, they do a lot of covering of asses. I hate when people downplay things when they are obvious. Didn't see it coming? Me either, but I'm not on the field or in the locker room every day. Come on Jeff.

I didn't see any comments post game due to other commitments...

An experienced coach like JF should be winning the game strategy. His tenure in STL... Not so. Let the record show.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Okay.....let me get this straight.....We are possibly down to our 3rd QB...... and because this no one respects our passing game.........and because the other team's ability to stop our run which was designed to happen....off our run....makes it tougher for our offense to be on the field....making the defense to be on the field longer....giving the other team more chances to attack our defenses' weak points......and because of these (possibly) related things....you feel that it's just a bunch of CYA talk.......

This is the NFL. Shit happens to the best of teams. No one owes you, me or anyone in here an explanation. But at least w/ Fisher, you feel he tries to give a better outline of what is actually going on. Now if you could go back 3 and a half weeks ago and tell him where our QB position would be at, then I would agree that maybe you deserve a better explanation. But to claim they should prepare for any possibility, just because......?!?!?. Ask Philly about their offensive line....did they plan for that? Or how about Green Bay w/ B. J. Raji? It is what it is....

So what now? We get up off the floor as our team is attempting to do and we go forward. And before you try to explain why we shouldn't or why we can't or .... whatever ...it's really only one of 2 choices we have.
Go Rams!

209RamsFan

The 8 games after that are brutal?? Yeah .....so is every other game in the NFL....that's why they PLAY the games.

209RamsFan

All it takes is ONE key injury......and most teams WiLL NOT be the same.

RamWoodie

Legend
Folks...do yourself a favor...and write the season home opener off. This team can play better and we all know it.

cracengl

Rookie
Okay.....let me get this straight.....We are possibly down to our 3rd QB...... and because this no one respects our passing game.........and because the other team's ability to stop our run which was designed to happen....off our run....makes it tougher for our offense to be on the field....making the defense to be on the field longer....giving the other team more chances to attack our defenses' weak points......and because of these (possibly) related things....you feel that it's just a bunch of CYA talk.......

This is the NFL. crap happens to the best of teams. No one owes you, me or anyone in here an explanation. But at least w/ Fisher, you feel he tries to give a better outline of what is actually going on. Now if you could go back 3 and a half weeks ago and tell him where our QB position would be at, then I would agree that maybe you deserve a better explanation. But to claim they should prepare for any possibility, just because......?!?!?. Ask Philly about their offensive line....did they plan for that? Or how about Green Bay w/ B. J. Raji? It is what it is....

So what now? We get up off the floor as our team is attempting to do and we go forward. And before you try to explain why we shouldn't or why we can't or .... whatever ...it's really only one of 2 choices we have.
Go Rams!
I'm not asking for impeccable foresight. That's silly. My was point, was inarticulate.

My basic point is (in the spirit of moving on) is just that I'd rather hear them say that there were a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes that have to be fixed and they will fix them. Not "Oh damn, how'd that happen. Didn't see that coming." It seems like a way to minimize things. And I understand the QB situation made things precarious. I get that.

Maybe I was trying to link it unfairly to Fisher when it was just an opinion of Thomas's. I just feel like the choice of words doesn't take enough ownership of the problem. Tough QB situation or not, there are other things (penalties, missed tackles, not setting the edge) that still should not have happened. Just own it.

That said, I'm pretty exhausted talking about last game. It is what it is and now its time to clean it up and beat the shit out of Tampa by any means possible.

Alan

Legend
cracengl making my top ten:
I'm not asking for impeccable foresight. That's silly. My was point, was inarticulate.
Good stuff cracengl! :LOL: How do you pronounce that anyway? With a long r?

cracengl

Rookie
Good stuff cracengl! :LOL: How do you pronounce that anyway? With a long r?

I leave that to you. It really means nothing, except just a way of abbreviating my name. They gave it to me to log in to the network my first semester of college and I've been too lazy to come up with anything more catchy since then.

Alan

Legend
You're putting a lot of pressure on me...:seizure:

I've narrowed it down to one of these three:

Cray-single, See-race-niggle or Bob.

images

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have feeling the next "no on saw it coming" will be when we finally win a game.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams did not run the ball well most of the preseason, at least what I saw. The O line that was out of Sunday was not really together on the field much. The trouble in the running game did not surprise me. The stacked box did not surprise me. Teams not respecting our passing game is not surprising. The DE (Hayes) not holding the edge....ok, bad execution on one play. I thought the Rams D was solid over all. Turner play called to keep the pressure off of Cassel. The D did a good job vs Peterson and overall the young DBs played well I thought. I have no issue with the D really. Any D is going to struggle if it gets no help from the O (except Arizona I guess). Six points? Wow.
The problem starts up front with the Oline....like it has the last couple of years. I dont know if it is prep, the players or a combo of things, but, massive improvement is needed. That said, we did see it last year with arguably a less talented overall group.
It will really be interesting to see how they respond this week. I expect a tough, physical effort up front vs. Tampa Bay.
Also, the penalties have got to stop. It just kills the team over and over.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I'm going to cut them a little slack on the QB situation. First of all, they did make a good attempt to upgrade the backup QB spot in the offseason by bringing in Hill. And he didn't play bad Sunday outside of the INT. But there is only so much you can invest in the backup QB position, you're rarely going to have it as good as the Rams did in 2000 where you've got Warner as a starter and Trent Green as the backup. Backups that are that good don't stay backups for long ... as evidenced by his movement across the state at the conclusion of that season.

And even knowing Sam was coming off an ACL, I thought it was reasonable to expect that lightning wouldn't strike in the same place twice. As I mentioned in another thread, Brady came back from his the next year, and the issue of the backup QB became irrelevant. The Broncos signed an old Peyton Manning coming off a career threatening back injury, and he still hasn't missed a single start with them, including postseason. AP came back from a pretty bad ACL tear and has never had a problem since, while playing a position that relies on it more than does a QB.

So many other players have come off serious injuries one season without getting re-injured in the same spot the next preseason. Our coaches/front office took a reasonable gamble, and were simply and unfortunately snakebitten by extreme bad luck. As such, there is nobody to blame but Lady Luck for our QB situation now. That bitch.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If this coach fails and the Rams move on, I hope they go out and get someone like Harbaugh...not the personality type, but that ability to look at the talent and figure out how to make it work. There is no doubt in my mind that this roster is talented. I believe Fisher is a good coach. But I'm starting to wonder if he is stubborn or what...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
you're rarely going to have it as good as the Rams did in 2000 where you've got Warner as a starter and Trent Green as the backup.
Good point, but nobody knew anything about Warner at that point. Hell, that could have been construed as negligible on Vermeil's part, as Warner had done exactly nothing up to that point. And I know for certain that no Rams fans were at all encouraged by the prospects of going into the season with Warner at the time. All kinds of veteran QB names were being tossed around after Green went down, and Vermeil was looking at Hostetler. Luckily for us, Warner is who he knew he was and the rest is history.