Jim Thomas Rams Chat Highlights: Rams High on Ray Ray

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT’s Chat Highlights

—As has often been the case when veterans get released the Rams want to give their young guys the reps. They are very high on Ray Ray Armstrong for example, and it looks like there will be some packages where he will be used with the starters.

—For the questioner from last week wondering about the Rams’ No.2 offensive line, it has varies. Last week, one alignment had Mike Person at LT, Brandon Washington at LT, Barrett Jones at C, Davin Joseph at RG, and Travis Bond at RT. But Tim Barnes has also worked at C, Sean Hooey has worked at LT, and Person at LG as well.

—I know Fisher mentioned Stacy as a 70 percent guy, but that was before drafting Mason. I don’t think anything’s set in stone.

—Still a lot to be decided in the Secondary. Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are the starting corners. Right now, Brandon McGee has been getting work as the nickel back with the 1s. It remains to be seen if he’ll give way to Lamarcus Joyner there. At safety, it looks like T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod. So that’s six players 3 or 4 corners (depending on how you list Joyner), and 2 or 3 safeties (again depending on how you list Joyner). That leaves rookies E.J. Gaines, Greg Reid, and Marcus Roberson competing for one or two spots, and may we should throw Darren Woodard (who was on practice squad most of last year) into the mix as well. At safety, it looks like Cody Davis has a very good chance to make the final 53. Will Matt Daniels get healthy. There’s draft pick Christian Bryant, and of course fourth-rounder Maurice Alexander. If he’s healthy, you figure Alexander makes the final 53. As for the overall #s in the secondary, start with the premise that the team will keep 5 corners and 5 safeties, although the team could just keep 9 defensive backs as the did in 2012 under Fisher.

—Any Back Up O-linemem with Starter Potential? Certainly Davin Joseph would fit into that category. Tim Barnes got four starts at the end of last season and didn’t embarrass himself. And I don’t think anyone has given up on Barrett Jones at Rams Park. Hooey is intriguing: Very good size, has gotten stronger over the offseason.

—When drafting Maurice Alexander, Fisher said the plan was to involve him in some packages with the starters. But since he’s basically missing all of the OTAs following that knee ‘scope, that may not be possible. Once rookies fall behind, it’s hard to catch up, and Alexander will have a lot of catching up to do once training camp begins.

—Quick is getting a fair amount of work with 1s this month in OTAs. But keep in mind, they have six WRs to work in with the starting unit. I’m not sure about the “quick hook” but he certainly didn’t get the ball thrown his way much once Kellen Clemens took over at QB.

—Bradford a Top 5 QB? I don’t know about top 5, but in terms of QB rating I could see top 10. He was No. 11 in the passer ratings when he was injured last season.

—Reid is strictly a corner, with the capability of playing both nickel and outside. No safety. We’ve only had four practices open to the media _ today is No. 5 _ and I’d say Reid looks OK. As I mentioned in last week’s article, he has a lot of rust to knock off.

—Both of their starting guards _ Saffold and Robinson _ could play tackle in case of injury. In a sense they are the 3rd and 4th tackles. Let’s say Jake Long isn’t ready or goes down with injury later in the season. Just plug in Saffold at left tackle, Davin Joseph comes off the bench at RG and there you go.

—TJ Moe? Looks Pretty good. Some quickness. Has occasionally flashed catching the ball over the middle. But as he mentioned in today’s Joe Lyons article, he’s not 100 percent.

—Gilbert? Looks like he has pretty good arm strength. But looks like a rookie at this point.

Read All Chat Highlights

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It was not that difficult to figure out the Rams were high on Armstrong because they did not draft one LB so they better like him and he does have huge upside. I'm concerned with Alexander falling behind, but hopefully he'll be a full go come training camp.

Good to hear about Brian Quick at the very minimum, he's making plays which is far better than the last two years as he was doing his best Claude Rains. Gilbert looks like a rookie? Okay I expect that because IMO Gilbert needs to bury his head in the offense to be effective. It's going to take a year or two and that's fine because I'm hopeful that Bradford and even Hill will be around for a while.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
How is Stacy not guaranteed to start but Thomas thinks Given is

I hear ya. Doesn't make much sense considering receiver is the weakest spot on the offense and has the most competition. I'm hoping Britt and Quick start off. See what they can do.

Slappy967

Starter
I loved watching Ray Ray in the preseason last year and on ST in the regular season. Something nasty about how hard he hits people and the noise it makes in the dome. Hope he kills it this year!

lockdnram21

Legend
I loved watching Ray Ray in the preseason last year and on ST in the regular season. Something nasty about how hard he hits people and the noise it makes in the dome. Hope he kills it this year!
i hated him on special teams. seemed like he got all the penalties

Slappy967

Starter
Well I hated the penalties but I like the guys intensity. If he goes Incognito on ST this year then I will be pissed. Chalking up last year to an over zealous rookie trying to hard to get noticed.