Jim Thomas Rams Chat Highlights: July 22

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
---I’ve kind of underreported it but Alexander missed almost all of the spring with knee surgery. That lost will make it more difficult to compete for playing time unless he’s able to step right in during training camp and pick up the defensive playbook quickly.

—Of the top 6, I think Pettis will be facing the longest odds of making the final roster.

—At this point, I don’t think Fisher is down on Schottenheimer.

—The Rams are going to use a lot of different WR formations. I think you’ll see some combos with Britt and Quick both out there, but don’t think we’ll see them starting.

—Robinson’s “struggles” are learning the pass protection schemes from what I’m told. As you may recall, Auburn didn’t pass the ball much.

—Michael Sam Makes the 53? I’d say 55 to 45 he’s a Ram.

---Mason Pushes Stacey at RB? Quite possible. And don’t sleep on Cunningham either.

—Vets That Might Get Cut? First off, there aren’t many veterans on this team. I don’t think Dunbar’s charges are serious enough, plus the Rams are a little light at linebacker anyway. Perhaps Wells, if he runs into preseason injuries problems and the youngsters (particularly Barrett Jones progress). And maybe Britt if he falls off the map in camp/preseason or encounters off-field issues.

—You try to separate hope from hype by watching the team everyday and in part, trusting your instincts. I think the Rams can be playoff contenders if they stay healthy, several of the young players improve, and they get off to a relatively good start.

—TJ Moe Makes 53? With a strong camp and preseason, I think he has a chance. Especially with Bailey suspended for the first 4 games.

—The Finnegan Cap Money? To be honest, I was given an explanation in June and didn’t totally understand it. It might have something to do with Finnegan making the 53-man roster. In any event, the Rams disagreed with the league’s assessment, but they can get by without the money this year. And they’ll have even more space entering the next offseason.

—The Rams seem confident Jake Long will be ready. He was moving around pretty well working on the side during the OTAs last month. But even now, we’re still a long way from the start of the regular season. The first step will be to see how much Long practices during the early days of camp.

—Just rookies at practice today. Don’t think Dunbar is in as much trouble as last year. One key issue is that he was not charged with battery, a possible felony, as was originally reported. He was just charged with disorderly conduct/breach of the peace, which is the misdemeanor.

—The Rams have one of the strongest defensive end units in the league. Not just starters Chris Long and Robert Quinn, but backups William Hayes and Eugene Sims. Hayes could start for a lot of teams in the league. So I think barring injury, that’s four DEs who make the final 53. Sam stays if the Rams keep 5 DEs, which is no sure thing although Fisher does like collecting D-lionemen.

—Long before Dunbar’s “fun at South Beach”, Ray Ray vs Dunbar figured to be one of the most interesting battles of training camp. We’ll see.

—If the Boom King (Armstrong) beats out Dunbar, he can still take full part in special teams because the strongside LB starter takes part in only about 35-40 percent of the plays.

—Britt Getting Along with Teammates? From what I can tell, so far so good. During the OTAs, his teammates seemed to appreciate his energy on the field.

Read All Chat Highlights

A320driver

Rookie
Sam making the 53roster intriguing?
I surmise its because they think he can be an asset to special teams?
Our DE corp is second to none ..on a different note it was originally deseminated to me that Sean Hooey man handled Sam on the last day of OTAs when they switched him and saffold from left and put hooey at right with the twos ...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was kind of surprised where Thomas estimates the defense will rank:

JT - I am pumped for this season, especially on the defensive side. Bring me back to reality. Will we be a top 10 defense this year? Top 5?
by Rick S. 7/22/2014 7:15:16 PM 2:15 PM yesterday
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

I'm gonna say about No. 12 in total defense.
    by jthomas 7/22/2014 7:15:36 PM 2:15 PM yesterday

I was kind of surprised where Thomas estimates the defense will rank:

JT - I am pumped for this season, especially on the defensive side. Bring me back to reality. Will we be a top 10 defense this year? Top 5?
by Rick S. 7/22/2014 7:15:16 PM 2:15 PM yesterday
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

I'm gonna say about No. 12 in total defense.
    by jthomas 7/22/2014 7:15:36 PM 2:15 PM yesterday

I like Jim when reporting on fact, he's usually first with the news, he does however have a tendency to pull numbers out of his ass.