Jim Thomas: Rams are not ready to give up on Bradford Yet --Audio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bradford has never demonstrated consistency at QB, game in and game out being able to play at the level we see from him at times. IMO against that Arizona defense he probably would have been quickly rattled, and resorted to dumpoff madness play after play after play.
I agree he hasn't been consistent, and that's the popular consensus whenever you hear anyone talk about him. But let's take it a step further and examine the consistency around him to see if it has any influence over his ability to BE consistent.

Receivers and backs he's played with since being drafted:
Steven Jackson, Keith Toston, Kenneth Darby, Danny Amendola, Mike Karney, Billy Bajema, Laurent Robinson, Brandon Gibson, Darcy Johnson, Michael Hoomanawanui, Daniel Fells, Mardy Gilyard, Mark Clayton, Danario Alexander, Jerious Norwood, Nick Miller, Lance Kendricks, Brandon Lloyd, Stephen Spach, Mike Sims-Walker, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, Cadillac Williams, Steve Smith, Daryl Richardson, Cory Harkey, Terrance Ganaway, Matthew Mulligan, Chris Givens, Mike McNeill, Isaiah Pead, Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Jared Cook, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey (and not) Kenny Britt.

O-linemen he's played with since being drafted:
Renardo Foster, John Greco, Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Adam Goldberg, Hank Fraley, Roger Saffold, Jacob Bell, Tony Wragge, Mark LeVoir, Thomas Welch, Kevin Hughes, Drew Miller, Bryan Mattison, Rokevious Watkins, Barry Richardson, Ty Nsekhe, Chris Williams, Joe Barksdale, Quinn Ojinnaka, Robert Turner, Wayne Hunter, Harvey Dahl, Scott Wells, Tim Barnes, Max Starks, Brandon Washington, Jake Long,

Head coaches: 2
Offensive coordinators: 3

I don't have a problem with suppositions (e.g., he'd only win two more games), so I'll use one too. IF Bradford came into the league in 2012, with Fisher, and with Schotty, and the team drafted and signed players the way they have been since they took over, I think Bradford would be a bit further along in his development by now. Also, if JT attests that we'd probably only win two more games with Bradford, then that's fine. We'd be shooting for a 10-6 record right now as opposed to 8-8. I don't agree that it would be only a two game improvement if Bradford was playing, but there's no way to prove or disprove those projections either way. So... whatever.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree he hasn't been consistent, and that's the popular consensus whenever you hear anyone talk about him. But let's take it a step further and examine the consistency around him to see if it has any influence over his ability to BE consistent.

Receivers and backs he's played with since being drafted:
Steven Jackson, Keith Toston, Kenneth Darby, Danny Amendola, Mike Karney, Billy Bajema, Laurent Robinson, Brandon Gibson, Darcy Johnson, Michael Hoomanawanui, Daniel Fells, Mardy Gilyard, Mark Clayton, Danario Alexander, Jerious Norwood, Nick Miller, Lance Kendricks, Brandon Lloyd, Stephen Spach, Mike Sims-Walker, Greg Salas, Austin Pettis, Cadillac Williams, Steve Smith, Daryl Richardson, Cory Harkey, Terrance Ganaway, Matthew Mulligan, Chris Givens, Mike McNeill, Isaiah Pead, Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Jared Cook, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey (and not) Kenny Britt.

O-linemen he's played with since being drafted:
Renardo Foster, John Greco, Jason Smith, Jason Brown, Adam Goldberg, Hank Fraley, Roger Saffold, Jacob Bell, Tony Wragge, Mark LeVoir, Thomas Welch, Kevin Hughes, Drew Miller, Bryan Mattison, Rokevious Watkins, Barry Richardson, Ty Nsekhe, Chris Williams, Joe Barksdale, Quinn Ojinnaka, Robert Turner, Wayne Hunter, Harvey Dahl, Scott Wells, Tim Barnes, Max Starks, Brandon Washington, Jake Long,

Head coaches: 2
Offensive coordinators: 3

I don't have a problem with suppositions (e.g., he'd only win two more games), so I'll use one too. IF Bradford came into the league in 2012, with Fisher, and with Schotty, and the team drafted and signed players the way they have been since they took over, I think Bradford would be a bit further along in his development by now. Also, if JT attests that we'd probably only win two more games with Bradford, then that's fine. We'd be shooting for a 10-6 record right now as opposed to 8-8. I don't agree that it would be only a two game improvement if Bradford was playing, but there's no way to prove or disprove those projections either way. So... whatever.

All fair points and I don't disagree in the least.

What I'm trying to keep the focus on, though, is the take that "With Bradford we'd be winning this division" type belief system. I am not certain that is true. For me those inconsistencies go deeper than just him, or just the talent you listed above.

Where most Rams fans believe Schotty should stay if Bradford does, I am the opposite. I think Schotty has held Bradford back, that and his injuries, more than the talent level he plays with. Sam has the ability that can make others around him better but it hasn't shown through because he doesn't have a next-level OC raising his game. He's got a JAG coordinating his offense.

I realize you like Schotty, no worries. I just believe that when all is said and done what I said above will prove to be correct because Schotty will never be an elite OC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All fair points and I don't disagree in the least.

What I'm trying to keep the focus on, though, is the take that "With Bradford we'd be winning this division" type belief system. I am not certain that is true. For me those inconsistencies go deeper than just him, or just the talent you listed above.

Where most Rams fans believe Schotty should stay if Bradford does, I am the opposite. I think Schotty has held Bradford back, that and his injuries, more than the talent level he plays with. Sam has the ability that can make others around him better but it hasn't shown through because he doesn't have a next-level OC raising his game. He's got a JAG coordinating his offense.

I realize you like Schotty, no worries. I just believe that when all is said and done what I said above will prove to be correct because Schotty will never be an elite OC.
I respect that. I don't expect you to have the same opinion as me.

The world doesn't need TWO perfect sentient beings. ;)