Jim Thomas PD chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RustyRay

Rookie
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rams-news.com/jim-thomas-rams-chat-highlights-august-20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rams-news.com/jim-thomas-ram ... august-20/</a>

Some chat Highlights from Rambill

Rams Chat Highlights

**Starters will play roughly the first half _ give or take a series _ maybe some even into the second half vs.Denver. Fisher breaks with tradition in Game 4 as well. He’ll play the starters more than a lot of coaches do _ maybe a quarter. At least that was his M.O. last year.

**Kendricks will be used more on the line of scrimmage than Cook and will also line up in the backfield in a fullback like role. Potentially this team could have tons of formations.

**Quick a Bust like Pead? He’s had a couple of good weeks on the practice field and has had some good moments in games. So I think it’s premature to label him a bust.

**Ganaway Tweaked his hamstring before the Cleveland game. A minor ailment, but it lingered. That kept him out of the Cleveland game. He was in for the last series against Green Bay _ the TD drive _ but Rams were in 2-minute offense and Ganaway was basically kept in for blocking. Right now, Ganaway looks like the odd man out if the Rams keep just four RBs.

**How many WR’s on 53? I don’t know if the Rams keep six. A couple of the four you mentioned could end up on the practice squad. It’s very close, though, if you keep six. Radway and Johnson also play special teams. I think I’d go for Radway or Johnson if I had to pick one at this point. The last two games will be very importannt though for those guys.

**Stacy Injury? In a hockey-like description, the Rams have called it general soreness. I’d say it’s “general soreness” in the lower right leg. It has bothered him for about 10 days. It happened before the Cleveland game. He practiced Monday.

**Ogletree looking lost? He didn’t stand out to me _ good or bad _ against Green Bay. Lots of Rams were caught biting on Aaron Rodgers’ play fakes. I do see James Laurinatis talkingg to him a lot.

**Fisher is very old school when it comes to what he shows in the preseason. He also has his own way and schedule _ I guess you’d say _ about getting a team ready for opening day of the regular season. But also keep in mind, this once again looks like it will be the youngest team in the league. And young players are prone to making more mistakes. So the sloppiness that we’ve seen in the opening two games might not disappear once the real games start.

**Based on Pead’s lack of production in the 2012 preseason, 2012 regular season, and so far this preseason, I wouldn’t think he’d draw much initerest on the market in a trade. It would have to be, I think, a team that liked him coming out of college and considered drafting him. I don’t think the Rams will give up on him this soon. But I think the situation remains very fluid in the backup spots. Things could still change a lot over these last two games.

**Richardson’s Size? He’s gained a little weight since last season. But 206 is still pretty small. I don’t know about giving him more than 15 to 18 touches per game.

**Cody Davis makes the 53? I think Davis certainly is in the mix. And a lot depends on whether the Rams keep four or five safeties on the final 53. Matt Daniels is also in that mix. Maybe Rashard Hall. Davis has had a pretty good camp and preseason.

**Pettis hasn’t been nearly as flashy during training camp as he was in the spring. And he has been targeted only once in the preseason _ a sideline pass against Cleveland that was catch-able. He had a very good practice Monday. I don’t know about entrenched, but he’s still running with the 1s.

**Challenge for RT from Barksdale? I think if Saffold stays healthy, he’s the guy. He’s strong, has pretty good feet, and lower body athleticism. But that’s the big IF _ if Saffold stays healthy. I don’t think Barksdale is hurting himself with his play so far. Believe me, the Rams have had worst RTs in recent years.

**Giordano makes the 53? I’m wondering about that too. He’s still sidelined with the calf injury. And if he doesn’t get on the field for at least one preseason game, he might find himself on the bubble considering the improvement by some of the younger safeties.

**Young LB’s beating out Witherspoon? I doubt it. Jabara Williams had been running with the 2s, but has missed most of the last two weeks with a hamstring injury and still isn’t healthy. Ray Ray Armstrong and Daren Bates have been getting time with the second unit. Both are intriguing, but I don’t think they’re anywhere close to being ready to starting in this league.

**Starting LG? Looks like Williams; don’t know that Fisher will announce it.

**Positions Snead might go after? First cuts are the 27th. I would say linebacker and offensive tackle.

**Kick Returner? Could be Cunninngham if he makes the final roster. Which I expect he will. Givens did a lot of KOR work last season, but since he figures to play such a big role in the passing game at WR, the team may keep him off special teams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cunningham as kick returner?

:neh:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:

Means Cunningham is making the final 53 and they want to go with guys who do, not guys on the bubble.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:

Means Cunningham is making the final 53 and they want to go with guys who do, not guys on the bubble.
Well, in all fairness, that's J.T. speculating. I, personally, would rather see someone with jets take kick return duties (Helmick).

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
**McCleod a Starter? Unless Darian Stewart makes a quick comeback from his hamstring injury, I’d say 65-35 McLeod. As for Quick ahead of Pettis _ at the start of the season, I’d say 35-65. Ogletree hasn’t been overly impressive so far, especially when it comes to coverage. There’s a lot to learn that he’s sorting through.

Yeah, Steward is on thin ice. McCleod Jr. looked better to me.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
max said:
X said:

Well, in all fairness, that's J.T. speculating. I, personally, would rather see someone with jets take kick return duties (Helmick).

Me too, but my guess is the reason Helmick isn't getting a shot at KR is because they plan to stash him on the practice squad this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:
max said:
X said:

Me too, but my guess is the reason Helmick isn't getting a shot at KR is because they plan to stash him on the practice squad this year.
Maybe. I think CoachO said that Helmick was taking all punt/kick returns during practice, so maybe we'll get to see him showcase it a couple times this week. If so, I really hope he takes advantage of the opportunity and peels off some nice returns. I don't know what it is about that guy, but he just looks like he has *it*.

A55VA6

Legend
Mcleod needs to start NOW.

And I don't really like Cunningham on returns. He's not bad but he's not all that great. I'd much rather have Helmick or someone quick back there. Helmick seems to be a pretty explosive runner. Maybe give Tavon a few here and there. But I guess kicks aren't returned much these days anyways.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
[

Count me in.

But, until he gets the chance we don't know what he brings to that role.