Jim Thomas on Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]324290738986840064[/tweet]
[tweet]324293768679391232[/tweet]

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/jthom1/status/324293768679391232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/jthom1/status/324293768679391232</a>

bluecoconuts

Legend
If the return is right, and we can pick a good player in the draft, I'm not opposed to it.

I'd even do a Saffold for an early second, draft a player at 16 (Austin? Patterson? etc) and then Fluker at 22, and then Kyle Long early (replacement for Dahl later on) in the 2nd, then a S at 48.

Quite frankly, if he can't handle a position switch and wants to be a baby about it, I wont lose sleep. Championship teams make moves like this to win. It's what's necessary, and championship players understand this.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
So if that happened in an essence 3 Long's would make a right, right?
(giggling)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
There will be plenty of defenses this year he can take his aggression out on this year.

Really though, I think Saffold coming back is huge. For obvious reasons, but I honestly I think between him and Long we might get 1 healthy LT all year. Hate to say it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
And so the drama begins anew,I suspect all the stuff before ,if JT isn't making THIS up was a prelude to a trade.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Why is it these guys always come in saying that they will do what ever is best for the team and then turn around and do the opposite? Adversity seems to expose character flaws wouldn't you say? :bummed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ramsince62 said:
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Why is it these guys always come in saying that they will do what ever is best for the team and then turn around and do the opposite? Adversity seems to expose character flaws wouldn't you say? :bummed:
1. Well, let's kinda put it in perspective. Should he be 100% on board with losing his position and play happy camper? Nah. It's natural to be bummed about this, and I haven't heard a direct quote from him about anything at this point. All rumors, speculation and agent talk. As long as Rodger's not openly playing malcontent, then I find no fault with him being bugged about it.

2. He's not holding out.

3. Who did he tell that he's not opposed to a trade?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:
1. Well, let's kinda put it in perspective. Should he be 100% on board with losing his position and play happy camper? Nah. It's natural to be bummed about this, and I haven't heard a direct quote from him about anything at this point. All rumors, speculation and agent talk. As long as Rodger's not openly playing malcontent, then I find no fault with him being bugged about it.

2. He's not holding out.

This 100%. It's all his fucking agent imo.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
As much as I like the guy, I wouldn't expect great compensation in a trade. He hasn't exactly proven to be durable the last couple seasons. Is he a great player? Yep, but you gotta be able to play every game. Also, it doesn't say trade me, or I want out, it says he's not opposed to being traded. There is a big difference between the two.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Username said:
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:

2. He's not holding out.

This 100%. It's all his freaking agent imo.
Actually, I don't believe it is all his agent. And I don't blame Saffold at all for feeling this way. You want a guy with the competitive spirit; he wants to be LT. So what? Saffold hasn't said trade me. JT said he's not opposed to a trade, which is not the words of a malcontent.

I want Saffold to stay and play RT. But a trade could occur once the top 3 LTs go in the Draft.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
We can say its agent all day long but if it were untrue and just his agent you would think saffsquatch would squash the rumors by now.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Rabid Ram said:
We can say its agent all day long but if it were untrue and just his agent you would think saffsquatch would squash the rumors by now.

Saffsquatch :rofl:

nittany ram

Rookie
Username said:
Really though, I think Saffold coming back is huge. For obvious reasons, but I honestly I think between him and Long we might get 1 healthy LT all year. Hate to say it.

Yeah. There's a decent chance Saffold will have to play LT at some point. For that reason alone I hope they don't trade him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jake Long is not injury prone. Dude has been durable.

As far as Saffold trade; best we could hope for is a 4th.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hopefully,,, this position change will result in Saffold playing "angry" (with a chip on his shoulder in other words), extremely focused, and somehow injury free while he does everything he can to insure himself a big payday starting next year.

Either that, or I would be very happy if we were able to trade him for an experienced WR. Tackles are much harder to come by (for most teams anyway) than WRs... are there any teams with a bunch of quality at WR needed help on the O-Line ?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IMO they should give him a new contract NOW and dump Dahl,Draft Long , move him to guard for a season and you have RT better ,RG younger and just as nasty and a suitable backup for Long should he get hurt (Jake Long of course) .
That said ,the words The stache used still ring in my ears, "we cant............" instead of "we haven't talked ......." it sez trade 2 me.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BatteringRambo said:
So if that happened in an essence 3 Long's would make a right, right?
(giggling)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

You Sir, get "quote of the week" honors! :lol:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Username said:
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:

2. He's not holding out.

This 100%. It's all his fucking agent imo.

It's smart because it's working in his clients favor on both fronts. If he really does want out word is out there already and if Saffold wants to stay then the Rams have to "make it up to him" since his agent is squawking that RS isn't happy. It's just negotiations to me, most of it is.

The Rams have to be happy because if he wants out he has to play well, and if he wants to get paid big cheddar on his next deal, wherever that ends up being, he has to play well.

If this team is rising up he may well decide to stay around. If not oh well. I look at a situation like this differently when I keep in mind that we are only one third of the way through the bounty we swiped from Washington.

fearsomefour

Legend
BatteringRambo get the line of the week for sure....well done.

As far as Saffold goes, its needs of the business first. If they find a good deal then, fine, move him. How many teams are going to be willing to trade for a T they are going to have to resign next year? Who knows. If he misses time again this year I dont think there will be a huge market for him, unless he convinces a team that he is an upper level LT....or even a solid one. If the Rams done move him he will need to come in, stay healthy and play well, that is the only way he can make sure he gets paid, be it by the Rams or someone else. Either way, I would expect a pick to be invested in the Oline this year even if the Rams believe Barksdale is the eventual starter at RT....no indication they think this.