Jim Thomas on Jackson's contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Even before the Rams negotiated and completed long-term contract extensions with defensive end Chris Long and middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, running back Steven Jackson had let it be known that he was interested in a contract extension with St. Louis.

The three-time Pro Bowler has said on many occasions that he wants to retire a Ram, and he obviously believes he has more than two years left as a productive back. (His current contract expires after the 2013 season.)

But with negotiations on an extension going nowhere, the Rams and Jackson have come up with a unique compromise. The Rams have given Jackson the option to void his contract after the 2012 season, both the Rams and Jackson’s agent have confirmed.

It’s actually a new contract, one that was re-done right around the time that the Laurinaitis deal was done. But its revised language doesn’t change Jackson’s base salary in 2012 or 2013, if he decides to stay in St. Louis. He’s still due to make $7 million in 2012. And if he decides to stay in ’13, he still makes $7 million as was the case originally.

But in essence, this could become a contract year for Jackson, who has been slowed in the early season by a groin injury.

There are now a variety of things that could take place at the end of this season:

• Jackson could decide to stay and play under the current terms of the contract in 2013.

• Jackson could decide to leave St. Louis before the start of free agency by voiding 2013.

• The Rams could decide to sign Jackson to a contract extension.

• The Rams could release or trade Jackson if Jackson doesn’t void the contract.

Jackson’s agent, Eugene Parker, declined to comment. Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff said: "Those were the results of our discussions. There’s really nothing more to say."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... e022f.html

PhxRam

At what point does Jackson have to declare if he is staying or going? Can he go out and test the market, find out nobody wants to pay him 7 mill and then stay?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:noidea:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, I was trying to be lazy and say "I dunno." But now you've forced me into taking a more involved approach in conveying my sentiments. As such, I'm compelled to answer your question with a reiteration of the above emoticon. I hope you're happy with yourself now. I've labored and now need a nap.

PhxRam

X said:
No, I was trying to be lazy and say "I dunno." But now you've forced me into taking a more involved approach in conveying my sentiments. As such, I'm compelled to answer your question with a reiteration of the above emoticon. I hope you're happy with yourself now. I've labored and now need a nap.

You certainly have a better grasp on the english language then I do. I simply would have said "how the fuck do I know?"

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:

Well wake up ina better mood :razzed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
X said:

You certainly have a better grasp on the english language then I do. I simply would have said "how the fuck do I know?"
Honestly? It *sounds* like he can do whatever he wants. But the comments by his agent and Demoff sound irritable almost. Like they had some bad negotiations and finally the Rams just said, "Look, do whatever the fuck you want."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well THIS clears it all up. :boing:

I'm just not understanding Jackson's thought process here. I can't imagine a RB at his age is going to get a better offer than his current contract. Maybe he just wants a longer one?

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
PhxRam said:
At what point does Jackson have to declare if he is staying or going? Can he go out and test the market, find out nobody wants to pay him 7 mill and then stay?

I'm sure his agent takes car of all that. This is much like a chess game now an $$$ has a lot to do with it. :twisted:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
PhxRam said:
It sounds to me like this is the case, giving Jackson the maximum amount of flexibility on what he does going forward.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
interference said:
PhxRam said:
It sounds to me like this is the case, giving Jackson the maximum amount of flexibility on what he does going forward.
He can't really "test the market" unless he's a FA, which means he'd have to void the last year before he could field offers.

Sounds to me as if the Rams have said they can't do anything now, but if Jackson wants to treat this year as a contract year he's welcome to it. Things could very well change as the year progresses.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ram Quixote said:
interference said:
PhxRam said:
He can't really "test the market" unless he's a FA, which means he'd have to void the last year before he could field offers.

Sounds to me as if the Rams have said they can't do anything now, but if Jackson wants to treat this year as a contract year he's welcome to it. Things could very well change as the year progresses.
Sounds to me like the Ramsare going to let other teams negotiate for them and match the best offer IF it isn't for stupid money