Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 8/23/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
After going back and checking the amount of views this thread normally gets, we'll keep this thing going for at least one more week because it seems there are many members who still enjoy it.

28vvb76.jpg

Still, this chat has become mostly Rams bashing, so it's understandable if some don't like it and think it's dumb. In that case, don't click on the thread. If the views drop off drastically, then we'll put this thread out of its misery.

dumb.gif

Not all questions and answers are included here. To read the whole chat, click the link below.

29urtkk.jpg

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_24

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

LA preseason TV ratings already lower than they ever were in STL. Bloom off the rose?

As to the preseason ratings, it was interesting that they would drop that much in one week. But I still think there will be a lot of interest in the team in LA this year. The real question is how will the team do in the market over the long haul, especially if the on-field product doesn't improve.
--------------
Do you think that Stan will get a big lump of coal in his stocking this year?

giphy.gif

Possible. Very possible.
------------
OK I get it now. Kroenke has to give Fisher a three year extension so that he can continue to develop Goff. Dude has to be ready to start when the Rams get to their new stadium.

Predraft talk was that Goff had an excellent long pass - exactly how does that fit into Fisherball?

Still seems like a lot of draft picks to spend on a development project.......

I don't recall reading or hearing much about Goff's arm strength. I think it's average at best. It was his quick release, his accuracy, his intelligence, and his toughness that made him desirable. But I will agree with you on this; Goff looks a little overwhelmed at this point.
------------
I have the #3 pick in my fantasy football draft tonight. Who are some players you would take?

I'm far from the fantasy expert, but you're usually talking quarterbacks that high in the draft, aren't you? So you're in Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers range. Do you take Brady, knowing he'll be on the shelf for four games? I think I'd take Roethlisberger if he were there at No. 3.
-----------
How do ticket prices in LA this year compare to last year in St. Louis?

I think the prices are pretty similar. I don't think the real bump in prices comes until the Inglewood stadium opens.
-----------
Well, a-beat the drum and hold the phone
The sun came out today
We're born again, there's new grass on the field
throwing three TD's, all at home
I'm a blue-eyed handsome man
Anyone can understand the way I feel

Oh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Look at me, I can be an NFL QB!

In my wildest dreams I never thought that throwing 3 TD's would get me benched for a game.
by Sean M

That was a little odd, not to see Mannion in at all against Kansas City. But keep in mind, he played more than was planned against Dallas because of Goff's shoulder issue. Based on that Dallas game, Mannion looks much improved over his rookie season.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_iPOFtZeM

----------
A small sample size but it seems that Nick Foles has regained his confidence on the field. Could it be that he lost faith in the Rams' coaching staff and offensive schemes?

Your thoughts........

Lots of check-downs, but Foles did look pretty solid for KC on Saturday. Maybe it's the old change-of-scenery thing. I'm sure there's a comfort factor as well being back with Andy Reid, the head coach who brought Foles into the league in Philly.
giphy.gif

------------
what happens 4-5 years down the road when the rams go 6-10 every year and fan interest dwindles to the point where they can't even sell out before the super stadium is built?

steve.gif

The new stadium will be built in three years, 2019. It's not going to take 4-5 years. So I think even if the Rams struggle these next three years, fans will flock to the next stadium _ at least at first.
-----------
Do you think the Rams were one of the teams interested in trading for Josh Gordon?

Sorry, no idea.
----------
I know that you have a lot of insight into the Rams move that you have not been able to share because it was told to you on confidence. I hope that you will go back to those sources over time to ask if they will release you to write the story without identifying them. It would make a fascinating book, and I would be in line at your first book signing.

I have some insight that I haven't been able to share, but probably not as much as you think.

fbbbb2506f3b37e256001d9dbfb18197.jpg

------------
Hi Jim, judging by what I have seen with all the (LA) local news reports and from Hard Knocks, seems like the players are adjusting well to the LA Lifestyle. Did you get that impression when you were out here?

hard-knocks-hbo.jpg

I guess. Didn't really talk to the players about that when I was there.
----------
as a 22 year old, the Rams are all I've ever known. Its been 8 plus months since the rams were moved. Tell me, did time make it easier when the Cardinals left in the 80's? watching sportscenter stings whenever they bring up the rams.

Sports media was so much different when the Cardinals left in 1988. No Twitter, no Internet, ESPN was still fairly new. I was covering the University of Missouri at the time, and immersed in that, so I don't have a true sense of what the feeling was like at the time. But I know Bidwill was detested and the Cardinals were missed. The ratings in St. Louis were good after they left, so much so that their games were shown on local TV for the next 2 1/2 years.
------------
I've heard it's best to take an RB or WR in the first round. I have been told take Gurley. But I don't know if he will have a great year this season. The Rams OL sucks, but then again he killed it last year. Can Gurley have another solid year with the OL he has? Sorry I know this is a loaded question.

Yes, Gurley could be even better this year because he's fully healthy. Over the long haul, I'd be a little concerned about his durability based on what I've seen. But other than Adrian Peterson, who else would you take among NFL running backs? Don't know if you risk taking rookies Ezekiel Elliott or Derrick Henry that high. Both could be beasts, however. And if you draft Le'Veon Bell, he's going to be shelved for 3 weeks due to the suspension.
--------------
Jim, any update on the injury status of Jeff Wilkins from the Legends of the Dome game?

I texted Jeff back and forth during the Hall of Fame weekend in Canton. Don't know if you remember, but I was staying up near Youngstown, where Wilkins lives, went into an AT&T store to get a new phone cover, a worker at the store saw that I as from St. Louis and said Wilkins comes into the store all the time, that he lives just a few minutes away.

Anyway, Wilkins was still hobbling around on crutches that weekend, so he didn't attend the Pace induction. He had torn ligaments in the ankle, but no surgery was needed. There was some initial concern about tendon damage, but that proved not to be the case. If he's not already, I'm sure Wilkins will be back on the golf course in the near future.
------------
So in a convoluted way, should we be rooting for the Jags to have a few more bad seasons in order to drive down their attendance, ratings, and franchise value? That way, it incentivizes Kahn to look to move the team, hopefully to STL?

There are at least a couple of owners, I've been told, who just don't think Jacksonville works as an NFL market. So once London goes off the table as an option for Jacksonville, there are some who think Khan could start looking St. Louis' way. But that could be five, 10 or more years down the road, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
----------
I see that the Rams have the ability to open up more seats at the Coliseum but won't do it for every game. Why wouldn't that additional seating be available for all of the games if the alleged demand for football was so high?

I think if the demand were there, they'd open up those seats.
-----------
With regards to nfl franchises moving cities is there any official rule on why some teams keep the same nickname (Rams, Cardinals, Colts) but others change (Oilers to Titans, original Browns to Ravens)?

No official rules. The application of nicknames has been very haphazard.
----------
after Fisher gets fired

giphy.gif

I don't know. Jeff said on the opening weekend of camp, when I was in Irvine, that he plans on coaching the Rams for a long time.
--------------
Why do you and other STL media bash the Rams? Can't you just grow up and move on. Just wondering out in LA.

MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

A little sensitive, are we?

original.gif

------------
Goff's intelligence??? He don't know east from west. WTF????

giphy.gif

Apparently, he scored pretty high on the Wonderlic test.
------------
I'm assuming where the sun rises and sets wasn't on the Wonderlic test. Is that a red flag to you? I mean Terry Bradshaw wasn't the brightest bulb in the bunch, but running an offense and reading defenses is much more difficult than it used to be, not to mention the mental fortitude that will be required of Goff to be the face of the franchise in la.

It's not really a red flag to me. I wonder how much of that was in jest.
-----------
Do you know if the Rams are planning a big celebration for when Fisher breaks the record for most career losses by an NFL coach?

giphy.gif

I kind of doubt it.
------------
And I would encourage anyone looking for a team to support to choose the Jacksonville Jaguars. 1) Shad Khan was incredulously blocked from becoming a Rams owner who would have kept the team in St. Louis and supported the community (Just look at what he is doing in Jacksonville with stadium renovations and a new covered practice facility/amphitheater project. 2) The Jags are on the verge of becoming competitive again and now is the best time to hop on that bandwagon.

A vote for Jacksonville. I do agree that the Jaguars could be much improved this year.
------------
Bring Back The NFL To St Louis on facebook posted five or six videos of fights at two preseason games so far. Was the Dome ever that violent?

I guess when you offer $100 season ticket deposits; you can't be too surprised that you're susceptible to drunken fights in the stands. And the Raiders fans had the bad reputation in la?

I can only remember a fight or two in the stands in the 20-plus seasons of the Rams in the dome. Now I may have missed a few over the years.

I've seen a few of the fights on Twitter, etc. Pretty brutal.

article-0-14F3CB47000005DC-681_634x402.jpg

-----------
Why do you think Mike Martz was never given another coaching opportunity after his time with the Rams?

It took a strong personality to deal with Mike. For all his brilliance, he could be hard to work with. When it didn't work in Chicago with Lovie Smith _ remember it was Mike who gave Lovie his first big break in hiring him as defensive coordinator in 2001 _ you kind of figured it might be hard for Mike to get another job in the league. But when you look at all the other coaches who keep getting recycled in the league, it does make you wonder.

The divorce was so messy with Martz and John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt, that I wouldn't think Shaw would be offering any sterling recommendations if contacted by another team about Martz. It was interesting that just minutes before the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies this year in Canton that Martz and Zygmunt did exchange greetings and shake hands.

martz-warner1.jpg

-----------
Will it matter in the years to come whether fans attend the game when you consider how much TV money drives decisions. In St. Louis the problem was, and is, we can't offer the TV platform LA can.

I don't know, empty stadiums aren't a good look.
------------
Did we ever get closure from the Reggie Bush lawsuit against the CVC?

I've heard nothing new.
----------
i went to the big red games. It didn't take very long to get over them. Once the STL players left, like Lomax, etc.. you tend lose all ties with the team. Doesn't take long for a team to turn over their roster.

And to a degree, that may be the case with the Rams once all the "St. Louis" Rams are gone.
-------------
Jim, I'd like go back to one of your answers in last weeks chat if I may:
You said that you suspected the NFL were pretending like St. Louis never happened and made no reference to the Greatest Show era in a Rams historical montage shown in the build-up to Cowboys preseason game.

My question is how much is the Greatest Show on Turf imprinted into the minds of football fans outside of St.Louis? Do they get the same reverence as the '85 Bears team for example? Are they considered an all-time great NFL team or just another franchise that peaked breifly, shone brightly, then faded back into obscurity?

No, they certainly don't seem to be held in as high regard as say the '85 Bears. But the respect is there, and that respect is shown every time a Rams player from that team gets elected to the Hall of Fame. First Faulk, now Pace, and I think Warner has a very good chance this year. Faulk and Warner still have high profiles on the NFL Network. But it's strange, for example, why there hasn't been a 30-for-30 type documentary on the Greatest Show. The group certainly had plenty of charisma, and its share of characters.
-----------
Could Tom Brady's suspension be a blessing in disguise for the Patriots? At 39 years old, only playing 12 games before the playoffs start would seem a good way to keep him fresher for the important games.

That's one way of looking at it. And at Brady's age there could be some truth to that.

images

----------
Who will be the last Ram left who actually played in St. Louis?

I'm gonna say Aaron Donald. He will be the Isaac Bruce of LA. (Bruce was the last LA Ram in St. Louis.)
----------
Does Chase Reynolds make it as the 4th RB?

Fourth or fifth.
---------
Jim, unless the Rams are super good by the time they have their new building, I'm wondering if you agree with me that Stan will have accomplished what Jerry has already done--make a lot of money but not have such a great home field advantage. And wouldn't that be ironic that the Rams, after all that, end up with a home stadium where there's always a lot of visiting fans? On the other hand, Stan will just be counting his money anyway, I guess.

You may have a point there. LA is a transient place. There were lots of Cowboys fans in the stands the first preseason game, and more Chiefs fans than I expected there last week. And I think if you asked Malibu Stan if he'd rather have a Lombardi Trophy or another billion dollars, we know what the answer would be.

giphy.gif

-----------
You're a little immature aren't you.

Actually, compared to most of my media brethren here in St. Louis, I think I'm the voice of reason.

(The sad part is that Jim Thomas is most likely right on the money with that statement).

giphy.gif

------------
You know, if I was watching a discussion board on the LA Times' website, I wouldn't wonder why everyone was so enthusiastic about the Rams and spreading love about Stan Kroenke. Just sayin'... That said, I enjoy hearing what some of the LA-based fans on this chat have to say. I have a feeling in a few years, we St. Louis fans will have a lot in common with our LA brethren.

And there's this:
----------
I think some in LA misunderstand STL's anger over the re-location. I don't think most people in the 314/636 are angry with the LA fans or players. Our ire is aimed at the people that we feel lied to us. Mainly, the league itself (Goodell, Grubman) and the FO of the Rams (StanK and his minion).

Surely, any rational person can understand our anger and that we are not likely "to get over it" any time soon.

While I don't really wish the team any ill will, I probably will get some small sense of satisfaction every time the Rams lose, just because we don't want the weasels (Goodell and StanK) to win.

Some perspective here. . . .
----------
I wish that the Rams go 0-16 this year.

giphy.gif

I'm sure you're not the Lone Ranger here. Thanks for playing. . . .
-----------
Jim, do you plan on continuing this chats during the season because they have become pretty depressing. Sounds like a 4:00 am Bar conversation. You may have to take up Psychiatry to continue these.

giphy.gif

Yes. Hopefully, once the regular season starts we can talk more about what's happening on the field. In the meantime, consider it group therapy.
-----------
It looks like Keenum has won the game 1 starting job. What did he have to do to keep it? Just Ws, Ws and high QB rating or just high QB rating?

Yeah, it certainly looks that way. And a good showing this week in Denver should seal it. I think it will take Ws to keep the job, regardless of passer rating.
----------
Ever since Fisher arrived, I have gone into every draft thinking the Rams had 3-5 holes to fill. After the draft I thought they had some players who might fill those holes, knowing that all wouldn't pan out so there might be a hole or two left to fill next year.

Now, I see the 3-5 holes that I am accustomed to seeing before the draft with no first or third next year - they seem further away than ever if Goff doesn't turn out to be a super-elite QB, and even if he does it looks to me like a long project. Am I off base here?

And thus the issue with Fisher and by extension the front office. Since those initial impressive strides back to respectability in 2012 and '13, they have been merely treading water. They always seem to have the youngest team in the league, building for the future, but yet the future never comes.

And I don't think you can blame it all on Bradford's injuries because they've had plenty of time to address that position. They still have issues at wide receiver. And while some holes have been filled, others have been created through free agency losses, etc. So no, I don't think you're off-base at all.
----------
When I look at Keenum on paper--short stature from college spread offense--he looks like Drew Brees. Obviously, he hasn't performed like Brees. Do you have any idea what's holding him back?

I don't think Keenum is as accurate as Brees. And although Brees doesn't have a cannon, Keenum might not have as much arm strength as Brees.
----------
This is a fantasy football question. Who will make more tackles this year: Ogletree because he's the new MLB or Barron because this defense really showcases the WLB?

Gonna say Ogletree.
----------
So when do you think that Jared will start a game this year?

I'll say Week 5.

650x366

----------
How do you see attendance looking after the Rams start 3-5 or something like that?

I still think attendance will be pretty good this first year. The real key will be 2017, after say _ I don't know _ a 7-9 finish in 2016. The newness of having the Rams back is gone, but the new stadium is still two years away.
------------
Why did the Rams only send one low-level PR guy as team representative to Orlando Pace's HOF induction ceremonies? Seems like such a class-less move, but, I guess, par for the course.

I felt very bad for Orlando Pace on this. If Kroenke and Demoff didn't want to attend, why not call John Shaw and/or Bob Wallace _ both former high-ranking executives from Pace's time with the team _ and ask them to attend.
-----------
This will sound like I'm being a smart-alek, but I don't mean to be ... how did demoff get his job?

I've heard some rumors. That's all I'm willing to say at this point.

giphy.gif

----------
What ever happened to the FAA problem with the stadium being on the flight path to LAX and interfering with the radar? Did StanK just bribe his way out of that problem too?

a4d9f25bb1244bb6b2f2cf6317b800da.jpg

Haven't heard anyting new on that.
-----------
It's going to be an interesting year for a lot of us. We've had our hometown team for years to live and die with and now being free-agents of sorts, we get to look at the game from a league-wide perspective. I'm looking forward to see if my interest in the game falls off now that the "ownership" I've had of my team has been taken away from me. I guess some would say I'm not a die-hard fan, but I'm not a die-hard fan of my ex-wife either.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
----------
Safe to say WR is set with Britt, Austin, Cooper, Quick, Marquez, Spruce with a chance of Duke Williams on the PS?

That's as good a guess as any at this point from what I've seen.
----------
At this point is Marcus Roberson better than Coty Sensabaugh?

Haven't seen Roberson really develop that much. He's still not the most consistent tackler in my mind.
----------
Joyner needs to stay in the slot and play to his strengths blitzing and short zone and occasionally a big hit agree?

I think that's his best spot.
----------
Jim, are there any current NFL stadiums other than Oakland and San Diego that are considered worse than our dome? If there are, are any of the teams complaining? What makes our dome so horrible as an nfl venue? I'm an original season ticket holder and also attended the legends game, and I still find it comfortable with good viewing angles.

Even with recent rehab work, the stadiums in Jacksonville and New Orleans are nothing to write home about. Buffalo's stadium is just so-so. Not a big fan of Washington's either. The worst part about the dome to me is that there is little to no outside light. The footprint is small (meaning small concourses, etc.) but I always found the sightlines to be very good.
------------
What's wrong with Havenstein?

He suffered a fractured toe running springs during OTAs. The bone is in the final stages of healing.
----------
Hey Jim, seems to me like Rams have made a habit of trying to be smartest guys in the room at the draft. Whether its Brian Quick, Grob, Tavon and looking like Goff. In each case these players were seen as projects with huge upside.

Fact is though in each case there was a more legitimate option who didnt need to develop as much who we passed on. Goff might be exception but sure gave up lots to get him. Would we be worse team with Alshon Jeffries (Quick) , Deondre Hopkins (Austin), Jake Mathews (Robinson) Paxton Lynch ( Goff)

I wouldn't call it a "smartest guy" complex. I think the Rams pay too much attention to workouts and measurables over production and intangibles.
-----------
Further to the perceived lack of respect for the GSOT, there may be a number of explanations for that:

- the Rams were a "dome team": they didn't play home games in the mud, the cold, the snow, etc., all of which tends to be glorified by the NFL myth makers (remember how Minnesota lost most of their cache when they moved to the Metrodome?)

- they maybe aren't perceived to have a "classic" blood-and-guts NFL coach like a Lombardi, Parcells or a Ditka (true I think in Martz's case, maybe less so in Vermeil's, but he was out of coaching for over a decade - doesn't help the myth making when you can be away that long then come back & win a Super Bowl)

- Kurt Warner wasn't a blue chip prospect: the myth makers prefer guys like Elway or P. Manning. It doesn't help to build the NFL mythology when a championship QB was stocking shelves in a grocery store a few years prior.

- Sorry to say, but I think St. Louis just wasn't seen as a classic "football town" (see Green Bay, or Baltimore or Oakland in the Colts'/Raiders' glory days), due to a combination of the NFL Cardinals leaving town ("failing" in the eyes of the NFL?) and the success over the decades of the baseball Cardinals

Well, I do know that the Rams were regarded by many as a finesse team at the time. The thought was that no one could win a Super Bowl throwing the ball that much. Well, the Rams rushed for I believe 29 yards while throwing for more than 400 in winning Super Bowl XXXIV.

And it's funny how much of a passing league the NFL has become since then. In short, Vermeil, Martz, and the Rams were ahead of their time. Belichick himself incorporated a lot of the concepts from the Mike Martz playbook.
------------
Is there a TJ McDonald suspension in our future?

Haven't been asked this one in a couple of weeks. I guess a suspension is possible. But it's not one I've been tracking.
----------
Jim do guys on practice roster train as if they are on everyday roster in terms of practice and meetings

Yes.
---------
giphy.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
JT chat is just an amuzement for me to read anymore, not much football in it. Just like when I need a good belly laugh I go to the PD Ramstalk and read something from Humpty-Bumpy95, or Prof Moriarity. They're still giving to Stan over there.

I was wondering why JT keeps doing these, but he explained it in this chat. "Consider it group therapy".

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Not a complaint, but a legit question.

Why are other threads closed when Jim's chats have devolved into about 90% bashing of the team? TBH, it was better when you left the location bickering out with a link for those that wanted to read the whole chat.

Just my .02, carry on.

HellRam

Starter
Oh wow JT's fantasy football knowledge is brutal. In one of his answer's he told a fan he should draft a QB with the 3rd pick in his FF league. He did mention he knows little about fantasy football...still though he's way off.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After going back and checking the amount of views this thread normally gets, we'll keep this thing going for at least one more week because it seems there are many members who still enjoy it.

28vvb76.jpg

Still, this chat has become mostly Rams bashing, so it's understandable if some don't like it and think it's dumb. In that case, don't click on the thread. If the views drop off drastically, then we'll put this thread out of its misery.

dumb.gif

Not all questions and answers are included here. To read the whole chat, click the link below.

29urtkk.jpg

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_24

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

LA preseason TV ratings already lower than they ever were in STL. Bloom off the rose?

As to the preseason ratings, it was interesting that they would drop that much in one week. But I still think there will be a lot of interest in the team in LA this year. The real question is how will the team do in the market over the long haul, especially if the on-field product doesn't improve.
--------------
Do you think that Stan will get a big lump of coal in his stocking this year?

giphy.gif

Possible. Very possible.
------------
OK I get it now. Kroenke has to give Fisher a three year extension so that he can continue to develop Goff. Dude has to be ready to start when the Rams get to their new stadium.

Predraft talk was that Goff had an excellent long pass - exactly how does that fit into Fisherball?

Still seems like a lot of draft picks to spend on a development project.......

I don't recall reading or hearing much about Goff's arm strength. I think it's average at best. It was his quick release, his accuracy, his intelligence, and his toughness that made him desirable. But I will agree with you on this; Goff looks a little overwhelmed at this point.
------------
I have the #3 pick in my fantasy football draft tonight. Who are some players you would take?

I'm far from the fantasy expert, but you're usually talking quarterbacks that high in the draft, aren't you? So you're in Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers range. Do you take Brady, knowing he'll be on the shelf for four games? I think I'd take Roethlisberger if he were there at No. 3.
-----------
How do ticket prices in LA this year compare to last year in St. Louis?

I think the prices are pretty similar. I don't think the real bump in prices comes until the Inglewood stadium opens.
-----------
Well, a-beat the drum and hold the phone
The sun came out today
We're born again, there's new grass on the field
throwing three TD's, all at home
I'm a blue-eyed handsome man
Anyone can understand the way I feel

Oh, put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Put me in coach, I'm ready to play today
Look at me, I can be an NFL QB!

In my wildest dreams I never thought that throwing 3 TD's would get me benched for a game.
by Sean M

That was a little odd, not to see Mannion in at all against Kansas City. But keep in mind, he played more than was planned against Dallas because of Goff's shoulder issue. Based on that Dallas game, Mannion looks much improved over his rookie season.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_iPOFtZeM

----------
A small sample size but it seems that Nick Foles has regained his confidence on the field. Could it be that he lost faith in the Rams' coaching staff and offensive schemes?

Your thoughts........

Lots of check-downs, but Foles did look pretty solid for KC on Saturday. Maybe it's the old change-of-scenery thing. I'm sure there's a comfort factor as well being back with Andy Reid, the head coach who brought Foles into the league in Philly.
giphy.gif

------------
what happens 4-5 years down the road when the rams go 6-10 every year and fan interest dwindles to the point where they can't even sell out before the super stadium is built?

steve.gif

The new stadium will be built in three years, 2019. It's not going to take 4-5 years. So I think even if the Rams struggle these next three years, fans will flock to the next stadium _ at least at first.
-----------
Do you think the Rams were one of the teams interested in trading for Josh Gordon?

Sorry, no idea.
----------
I know that you have a lot of insight into the Rams move that you have not been able to share because it was told to you on confidence. I hope that you will go back to those sources over time to ask if they will release you to write the story without identifying them. It would make a fascinating book, and I would be in line at your first book signing.

I have some insight that I haven't been able to share, but probably not as much as you think.

fbbbb2506f3b37e256001d9dbfb18197.jpg

------------
Hi Jim, judging by what I have seen with all the (LA) local news reports and from Hard Knocks, seems like the players are adjusting well to the LA Lifestyle. Did you get that impression when you were out here?

hard-knocks-hbo.jpg

I guess. Didn't really talk to the players about that when I was there.
----------
as a 22 year old, the Rams are all I've ever known. Its been 8 plus months since the rams were moved. Tell me, did time make it easier when the Cardinals left in the 80's? watching sportscenter stings whenever they bring up the rams.

Sports media was so much different when the Cardinals left in 1988. No Twitter, no Internet, ESPN was still fairly new. I was covering the University of Missouri at the time, and immersed in that, so I don't have a true sense of what the feeling was like at the time. But I know Bidwill was detested and the Cardinals were missed. The ratings in St. Louis were good after they left, so much so that their games were shown on local TV for the next 2 1/2 years.
------------
I've heard it's best to take an RB or WR in the first round. I have been told take Gurley. But I don't know if he will have a great year this season. The Rams OL sucks, but then again he killed it last year. Can Gurley have another solid year with the OL he has? Sorry I know this is a loaded question.

Yes, Gurley could be even better this year because he's fully healthy. Over the long haul, I'd be a little concerned about his durability based on what I've seen. But other than Adrian Peterson, who else would you take among NFL running backs? Don't know if you risk taking rookies Ezekiel Elliott or Derrick Henry that high. Both could be beasts, however. And if you draft Le'Veon Bell, he's going to be shelved for 3 weeks due to the suspension.
--------------
Jim, any update on the injury status of Jeff Wilkins from the Legends of the Dome game?

I texted Jeff back and forth during the Hall of Fame weekend in Canton. Don't know if you remember, but I was staying up near Youngstown, where Wilkins lives, went into an AT&T store to get a new phone cover, a worker at the store saw that I as from St. Louis and said Wilkins comes into the store all the time, that he lives just a few minutes away.

Anyway, Wilkins was still hobbling around on crutches that weekend, so he didn't attend the Pace induction. He had torn ligaments in the ankle, but no surgery was needed. There was some initial concern about tendon damage, but that proved not to be the case. If he's not already, I'm sure Wilkins will be back on the golf course in the near future.
------------
So in a convoluted way, should we be rooting for the Jags to have a few more bad seasons in order to drive down their attendance, ratings, and franchise value? That way, it incentivizes Kahn to look to move the team, hopefully to STL?

There are at least a couple of owners, I've been told, who just don't think Jacksonville works as an NFL market. So once London goes off the table as an option for Jacksonville, there are some who think Khan could start looking St. Louis' way. But that could be five, 10 or more years down the road, so I wouldn't hold your breath.
----------
I see that the Rams have the ability to open up more seats at the Coliseum but won't do it for every game. Why wouldn't that additional seating be available for all of the games if the alleged demand for football was so high?

I think if the demand were there, they'd open up those seats.
-----------
With regards to nfl franchises moving cities is there any official rule on why some teams keep the same nickname (Rams, Cardinals, Colts) but others change (Oilers to Titans, original Browns to Ravens)?

No official rules. The application of nicknames has been very haphazard.
----------
after Fisher gets fired

giphy.gif

I don't know. Jeff said on the opening weekend of camp, when I was in Irvine, that he plans on coaching the Rams for a long time.
--------------
Why do you and other STL media bash the Rams? Can't you just grow up and move on. Just wondering out in LA.

MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

A little sensitive, are we?

original.gif

------------
Goff's intelligence??? He don't know east from west. WTF????

giphy.gif

Apparently, he scored pretty high on the Wonderlic test.
------------
I'm assuming where the sun rises and sets wasn't on the Wonderlic test. Is that a red flag to you? I mean Terry Bradshaw wasn't the brightest bulb in the bunch, but running an offense and reading defenses is much more difficult than it used to be, not to mention the mental fortitude that will be required of Goff to be the face of the franchise in la.

It's not really a red flag to me. I wonder how much of that was in jest.
-----------
Do you know if the Rams are planning a big celebration for when Fisher breaks the record for most career losses by an NFL coach?

giphy.gif

I kind of doubt it.
------------
And I would encourage anyone looking for a team to support to choose the Jacksonville Jaguars. 1) Shad Khan was incredulously blocked from becoming a Rams owner who would have kept the team in St. Louis and supported the community (Just look at what he is doing in Jacksonville with stadium renovations and a new covered practice facility/amphitheater project. 2) The Jags are on the verge of becoming competitive again and now is the best time to hop on that bandwagon.

A vote for Jacksonville. I do agree that the Jaguars could be much improved this year.
------------
Bring Back The NFL To St Louis on facebook posted five or six videos of fights at two preseason games so far. Was the Dome ever that violent?

I guess when you offer $100 season ticket deposits; you can't be too surprised that you're susceptible to drunken fights in the stands. And the Raiders fans had the bad reputation in la?

I can only remember a fight or two in the stands in the 20-plus seasons of the Rams in the dome. Now I may have missed a few over the years.

I've seen a few of the fights on Twitter, etc. Pretty brutal.

article-0-14F3CB47000005DC-681_634x402.jpg

-----------
Why do you think Mike Martz was never given another coaching opportunity after his time with the Rams?

It took a strong personality to deal with Mike. For all his brilliance, he could be hard to work with. When it didn't work in Chicago with Lovie Smith _ remember it was Mike who gave Lovie his first big break in hiring him as defensive coordinator in 2001 _ you kind of figured it might be hard for Mike to get another job in the league. But when you look at all the other coaches who keep getting recycled in the league, it does make you wonder.

The divorce was so messy with Martz and John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt, that I wouldn't think Shaw would be offering any sterling recommendations if contacted by another team about Martz. It was interesting that just minutes before the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies this year in Canton that Martz and Zygmunt did exchange greetings and shake hands.

martz-warner1.jpg

-----------
Will it matter in the years to come whether fans attend the game when you consider how much TV money drives decisions. In St. Louis the problem was, and is, we can't offer the TV platform LA can.

I don't know, empty stadiums aren't a good look.
------------
Did we ever get closure from the Reggie Bush lawsuit against the CVC?

I've heard nothing new.
----------
i went to the big red games. It didn't take very long to get over them. Once the STL players left, like Lomax, etc.. you tend lose all ties with the team. Doesn't take long for a team to turn over their roster.

And to a degree, that may be the case with the Rams once all the "St. Louis" Rams are gone.
-------------
Jim, I'd like go back to one of your answers in last weeks chat if I may:
You said that you suspected the NFL were pretending like St. Louis never happened and made no reference to the Greatest Show era in a Rams historical montage shown in the build-up to Cowboys preseason game.

My question is how much is the Greatest Show on Turf imprinted into the minds of football fans outside of St.Louis? Do they get the same reverence as the '85 Bears team for example? Are they considered an all-time great NFL team or just another franchise that peaked breifly, shone brightly, then faded back into obscurity?

No, they certainly don't seem to be held in as high regard as say the '85 Bears. But the respect is there, and that respect is shown every time a Rams player from that team gets elected to the Hall of Fame. First Faulk, now Pace, and I think Warner has a very good chance this year. Faulk and Warner still have high profiles on the NFL Network. But it's strange, for example, why there hasn't been a 30-for-30 type documentary on the Greatest Show. The group certainly had plenty of charisma, and its share of characters.
-----------
Could Tom Brady's suspension be a blessing in disguise for the Patriots? At 39 years old, only playing 12 games before the playoffs start would seem a good way to keep him fresher for the important games.

That's one way of looking at it. And at Brady's age there could be some truth to that.

images

----------
Who will be the last Ram left who actually played in St. Louis?

I'm gonna say Aaron Donald. He will be the Isaac Bruce of LA. (Bruce was the last LA Ram in St. Louis.)
----------
Does Chase Reynolds make it as the 4th RB?

Fourth or fifth.
---------
Jim, unless the Rams are super good by the time they have their new building, I'm wondering if you agree with me that Stan will have accomplished what Jerry has already done--make a lot of money but not have such a great home field advantage. And wouldn't that be ironic that the Rams, after all that, end up with a home stadium where there's always a lot of visiting fans? On the other hand, Stan will just be counting his money anyway, I guess.

You may have a point there. LA is a transient place. There were lots of Cowboys fans in the stands the first preseason game, and more Chiefs fans than I expected there last week. And I think if you asked Malibu Stan if he'd rather have a Lombardi Trophy or another billion dollars, we know what the answer would be.

giphy.gif

-----------
You're a little immature aren't you.

Actually, compared to most of my media brethren here in St. Louis, I think I'm the voice of reason.

(The sad part is that Jim Thomas is most likely right on the money with that statement).

giphy.gif

------------
You know, if I was watching a discussion board on the LA Times' website, I wouldn't wonder why everyone was so enthusiastic about the Rams and spreading love about Stan Kroenke. Just sayin'... That said, I enjoy hearing what some of the LA-based fans on this chat have to say. I have a feeling in a few years, we St. Louis fans will have a lot in common with our LA brethren.

And there's this:
----------
I think some in LA misunderstand STL's anger over the re-location. I don't think most people in the 314/636 are angry with the LA fans or players. Our ire is aimed at the people that we feel lied to us. Mainly, the league itself (Goodell, Grubman) and the FO of the Rams (StanK and his minion).

Surely, any rational person can understand our anger and that we are not likely "to get over it" any time soon.

While I don't really wish the team any ill will, I probably will get some small sense of satisfaction every time the Rams lose, just because we don't want the weasels (Goodell and StanK) to win.

Some perspective here. . . .
----------
I wish that the Rams go 0-16 this year.

giphy.gif

I'm sure you're not the Lone Ranger here. Thanks for playing. . . .
-----------
Jim, do you plan on continuing this chats during the season because they have become pretty depressing. Sounds like a 4:00 am Bar conversation. You may have to take up Psychiatry to continue these.

giphy.gif

Yes. Hopefully, once the regular season starts we can talk more about what's happening on the field. In the meantime, consider it group therapy.
-----------
It looks like Keenum has won the game 1 starting job. What did he have to do to keep it? Just Ws, Ws and high QB rating or just high QB rating?

Yeah, it certainly looks that way. And a good showing this week in Denver should seal it. I think it will take Ws to keep the job, regardless of passer rating.
----------
Ever since Fisher arrived, I have gone into every draft thinking the Rams had 3-5 holes to fill. After the draft I thought they had some players who might fill those holes, knowing that all wouldn't pan out so there might be a hole or two left to fill next year.

Now, I see the 3-5 holes that I am accustomed to seeing before the draft with no first or third next year - they seem further away than ever if Goff doesn't turn out to be a super-elite QB, and even if he does it looks to me like a long project. Am I off base here?

And thus the issue with Fisher and by extension the front office. Since those initial impressive strides back to respectability in 2012 and '13, they have been merely treading water. They always seem to have the youngest team in the league, building for the future, but yet the future never comes.

And I don't think you can blame it all on Bradford's injuries because they've had plenty of time to address that position. They still have issues at wide receiver. And while some holes have been filled, others have been created through free agency losses, etc. So no, I don't think you're off-base at all.
----------
When I look at Keenum on paper--short stature from college spread offense--he looks like Drew Brees. Obviously, he hasn't performed like Brees. Do you have any idea what's holding him back?

I don't think Keenum is as accurate as Brees. And although Brees doesn't have a cannon, Keenum might not have as much arm strength as Brees.
----------
This is a fantasy football question. Who will make more tackles this year: Ogletree because he's the new MLB or Barron because this defense really showcases the WLB?

Gonna say Ogletree.
----------
So when do you think that Jared will start a game this year?

I'll say Week 5.

650x366

----------
How do you see attendance looking after the Rams start 3-5 or something like that?

I still think attendance will be pretty good this first year. The real key will be 2017, after say _ I don't know _ a 7-9 finish in 2016. The newness of having the Rams back is gone, but the new stadium is still two years away.
------------
Why did the Rams only send one low-level PR guy as team representative to Orlando Pace's HOF induction ceremonies? Seems like such a class-less move, but, I guess, par for the course.

I felt very bad for Orlando Pace on this. If Kroenke and Demoff didn't want to attend, why not call John Shaw and/or Bob Wallace _ both former high-ranking executives from Pace's time with the team _ and ask them to attend.
-----------
This will sound like I'm being a smart-alek, but I don't mean to be ... how did demoff get his job?

I've heard some rumors. That's all I'm willing to say at this point.

giphy.gif

----------
What ever happened to the FAA problem with the stadium being on the flight path to LAX and interfering with the radar? Did StanK just bribe his way out of that problem too?

a4d9f25bb1244bb6b2f2cf6317b800da.jpg

Haven't heard anyting new on that.
-----------
It's going to be an interesting year for a lot of us. We've had our hometown team for years to live and die with and now being free-agents of sorts, we get to look at the game from a league-wide perspective. I'm looking forward to see if my interest in the game falls off now that the "ownership" I've had of my team has been taken away from me. I guess some would say I'm not a die-hard fan, but I'm not a die-hard fan of my ex-wife either.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
----------
Safe to say WR is set with Britt, Austin, Cooper, Quick, Marquez, Spruce with a chance of Duke Williams on the PS?

That's as good a guess as any at this point from what I've seen.
----------
At this point is Marcus Roberson better than Coty Sensabaugh?

Haven't seen Roberson really develop that much. He's still not the most consistent tackler in my mind.
----------
Joyner needs to stay in the slot and play to his strengths blitzing and short zone and occasionally a big hit agree?

I think that's his best spot.
----------
Jim, are there any current NFL stadiums other than Oakland and San Diego that are considered worse than our dome? If there are, are any of the teams complaining? What makes our dome so horrible as an nfl venue? I'm an original season ticket holder and also attended the legends game, and I still find it comfortable with good viewing angles.

Even with recent rehab work, the stadiums in Jacksonville and New Orleans are nothing to write home about. Buffalo's stadium is just so-so. Not a big fan of Washington's either. The worst part about the dome to me is that there is little to no outside light. The footprint is small (meaning small concourses, etc.) but I always found the sightlines to be very good.
------------

He suffered a fractured toe running springs during OTAs. The bone is in the final stages of healing.
----------
Hey Jim, seems to me like Rams have made a habit of trying to be smartest guys in the room at the draft. Whether its Brian Quick, Grob, Tavon and looking like Goff. In each case these players were seen as projects with huge upside.

Fact is though in each case there was a more legitimate option who didnt need to develop as much who we passed on. Goff might be exception but sure gave up lots to get him. Would we be worse team with Alshon Jeffries (Quick) , Deondre Hopkins (Austin), Jake Mathews (Robinson) Paxton Lynch ( Goff)

I wouldn't call it a "smartest guy" complex. I think the Rams pay too much attention to workouts and measurables over production and intangibles.
-----------
Further to the perceived lack of respect for the GSOT, there may be a number of explanations for that:

- the Rams were a "dome team": they didn't play home games in the mud, the cold, the snow, etc., all of which tends to be glorified by the NFL myth makers (remember how Minnesota lost most of their cache when they moved to the Metrodome?)

- they maybe aren't perceived to have a "classic" blood-and-guts NFL coach like a Lombardi, Parcells or a Ditka (true I think in Martz's case, maybe less so in Vermeil's, but he was out of coaching for over a decade - doesn't help the myth making when you can be away that long then come back & win a Super Bowl)

- Kurt Warner wasn't a blue chip prospect: the myth makers prefer guys like Elway or P. Manning. It doesn't help to build the NFL mythology when a championship QB was stocking shelves in a grocery store a few years prior.

- Sorry to say, but I think St. Louis just wasn't seen as a classic "football town" (see Green Bay, or Baltimore or Oakland in the Colts'/Raiders' glory days), due to a combination of the NFL Cardinals leaving town ("failing" in the eyes of the NFL?) and the success over the decades of the baseball Cardinals

Well, I do know that the Rams were regarded by many as a finesse team at the time. The thought was that no one could win a Super Bowl throwing the ball that much. Well, the Rams rushed for I believe 29 yards while throwing for more than 400 in winning Super Bowl XXXIV.

And it's funny how much of a passing league the NFL has become since then. In short, Vermeil, Martz, and the Rams were ahead of their time. Belichick himself incorporated a lot of the concepts from the Mike Martz playbook.
------------
Is there a TJ McDonald suspension in our future?

Haven't been asked this one in a couple of weeks. I guess a suspension is possible. But it's not one I've been tracking.
----------
Jim do guys on practice roster train as if they are on everyday roster in terms of practice and meetings

Yes.
---------
giphy.gif

I opened this thread to catch the Gif's!! The Hekker Hot seat was pretty good too!!(y);):D:rolllaugh:

Psycho_X

Legend
consider it group therapy.
-----------

This is exactly what it is, not sure why people have trouble grasping that.

----------

----------

Treading water is a good way of putting the last couple of years. Every offseason it seems like we gain some good young talent but we either lose enough to even it out or previous young talent doesn't take the next step. Eventually the future must arrive.

------------

Wow, an actual answer to this question. Guess I may have missed it but this is the first time I've read anything about why Havenstein has been out.

----------

-----------

For the most part I've liked our drafts but got to agree with this to an extent. Using Tavon, Grob (good preseason so far knock on wood), and Goff is a bit premature at this point but other names can be used with Quick such as Pead and Mason. But can't win them all... just wish they'd be more careful with the second rounders. Aside from that I can't complain too much about the drafts. It's just up to the coaches to get more out of them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a complaint, but a legit question.

Why are other threads closed when Jim's chats have devolved into about 90% bashing of the team? TBH, it was better when you left the location bickering out with a link for those that wanted to read the whole chat.

Just my .02, carry on.

Good question. Maybe that's the best reason to shut this thread down permanently. One of the owners of ROD requested that I keep it going. Haven't heard from the other one as of yet.

If I leave out "the location bickering" then it would be down to ten questions or less. On the MMQB thread if I leave out the Peter King butt-kissing of the Patriots, it would slim down that post as well. :)

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
I've always wanted to see Martz make it back into the NFL. With today's rules protecting the QB and opening up the passing game? It'd be fun to watch.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Love these, but only because of Prime Times gifs he adds lol. I honestly only read the questions and answers that have gifs with them, but I do enjoy those!! Great work as always PT!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

steve.gif

haha, perfect gif.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Good question. Maybe that's the best reason to shut this thread down permanently. One of the owners of ROD requested that I keep it going. Haven't heard from the other one as of yet.

If I leave out "the location bickering" then it would be down to ten questions or less. On the MMQB thread if I leave out the Peter King butt-kissing of the Patriots, it would slim down that post as well. :)

Yea, I can't control how the site is moderated, nor should I be able to. But I was just wondering.

Thanks, man.
74997ccd8bee6b513a030ecc0130562a.jpg

As for Peter King's love afair............:puke:

fearsomefour

Legend
"what happens 4-5 years down the road when the rams go 6-10 every year and fan interest dwindles to the point where they can't even sell out before the super stadium is built?"

Easy enough.
The owner will still have a franchise worth billions more than it would have ever been in the Midwest and he will rake it in hand over fist.
Next question....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea, I can't control how the site is moderated, nor should I be able to. But I was just wondering.

200.gif

Actually, you and everyone else here at ROD is welcome to give your opinion on any given topic. (y)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@Prime Time I only view this for your inserts. Jim Thomas's views are as valuable as used toilet paper.
On second thought Jim's Q&A has been very useful when I can't sleep.

Last edited: