Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 11/22/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat, click the link below. With every loss this chat is getting snarkier, which was to be expected. The gif below pretty sums it up.

200.gif

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_37

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

My sense is the offense just doesn't have the talent required, either at OL, WR, TE, do you agree?

No doubt the talent could be better. So could the coaching. And so could the scouting. Have you really seen much in the way of improvement among the skill position players under Fisher?
----------
Any Will Hayes comments regarding greatest fans in the world? I think there were 20,000 left in attendance, late in the 4th with the Rams leading

Could you imagine what it might look like after, say, 12 consecutive non-wining seasons?
-----------
Every Ram home game has had over 80,000 in attendance. I know you want them to fail in LA, but the games are sold out.

For your information, when you leave your seat to use the rest room or buy food in the Colosseum, you're going to be gone a long time. It's an old, old place, and the larger crowd really slows down everything there.

200.gif

Appreciate the input MR, but it sure looked like a lot of people were at the concession state or the restroom at the same time Sunday.
-----------
I'd like to take this opportunity to trash LA as a market. As a fairly impartial journalist, could you ever imagine a crowd like that at an NFL game in the first season of NFL returning to the city of St. Louis after 20+ years? Wouldn't happen here. After years and years of horrible football and an absent/conniving owner planning a move, of course. But, not in the first year moving back.

Actually, no. Especially in a metro area of _ what _ 18 million. But hey, it was drizzling.

schadenfreude.jpg

---------
Would you can Fisher now or at the end of the season?

I wait until the end of the season, but only pull the plug if the team fails to have a winning record.. You now, if there's more of that 7-9 bull. . . . .
---------
What's your take on Kendricks? More of a liability than an asset?

I think he's an above-average tight end, who can block and catch passes. But he has been known to drop a few. And it doesn't look like that's changed.
--------
Bring back Mike Martz!!!

I'd like to see what Martz could do with Goff. Actually, I think Martz would've preferred Wentz or Mariotta.
----------
Was that rams loss sunday, the worst loss we have seen in a long time? Up by 10, 5 min left and lose. Wow.

not sure if you're new to the Rams party. But there's a lot to chose from over the past 12-plus seasons of non-winning teams. I'd have to think on it, but I'm not sure this one even makes the medal stand.
----------
Jim, of the three upcoming Thanksgiving Day games, what's the most intriguing to you and why?

This will be the first one since 1994 where I won't be spending part of the day at a Rams practice. Which reminds me of a quick Dick Vermeil story. Back in the early days of the Rams in St. Louis, it was a simpler time. Family of players, coaches, and even media were not discouraged from attending the Thanksgiving and Christmas practices.

So it's Vermeil's first year coaching the team _ 1997. I bring my two oldest boys out to Thanksgiving practice, ages 9 and 7 back then. I'm the only reporter at practice, ask Vermeil a few quick questions with my sons at my side. And as we're turning to leave, I hear Vermiel call Rams PR man Duane Lewis over. "Duane! Come here! . . . .Go get those kids some souvenirs."

As for Thursday's games, they're all good matchups. Curious to get another look at Bradford and Minnesota against the surprising Lions, who are the first team in NFL history to have all 10 games decided by a touchdown or less to open the year. Will it be 11 on Thursday?

The Washington/Dallas game is a throwback to the old days when that was the NFL's most heated rivalry. When's the last time those two teams played in such a high-profile game? As for the nightcap, who knows what to expect from the Steelers and Colts on a week-to-week basis? Both teams have been very erratic, and the Colts may be without Andrew Luck (concussion).
---------
JT - my sincere apologies to George Boone. The Rams trade up 14 spots in the draft to trade 6 picks and select a game manager at QB. Oh wait, Fisher said he was good, no delay-of-game penalties. Is there a trophy they give out at the end of the season for this accomplishment by a QB?

tball2.jpg

Hey, let's not judge Goff on one game. He was a game manager only because the Rams wanted him to be a game manager. And yes, on the trophy. It's the coveted Game Manager of the Year award _ aka the GMY.
--------
Which of the great NFL backs of recent vintage might Ezekiel Elliott compare to? Faulk? Emmitt Smith? Tomlinson? Someone else? I don't get to watch much NFL on TV, but I'm intrigued by what I've read about Elliott.

He's bigger and not as elusive as Faulk. He's faster and maybe more powerful than Emmitt Smith. LT strikes me as a smoother runner I don't know, Elliott is kind of unique. He's got plenty of power, some elusiveness, he can get the corner with his speed.

Athleticism? Check out those amazing hurdles of would-be tacklers. And I doubt if there's ever been an NFL back who's been as complete as Elliott entering the league _ in terms of running, catching, and blocking. BTW, I just filed a 1,500-word story on Elliott (off my Dallas trip last Sunday) for our Thanksgiving edition. Hope you check it out.
----------
Jeff Fisher was right when he said on Hard Knocks that there wouldn't be any more 7-9 BS...they won't even make that record this year. What a franchise, all they do is make ESK wealthier. Did anybody ever ask Kroenke how many suits can you wear at one time? How many steaks can you eat at one time? I've never seen a Brinks truck at a funeral in my life.

giphy.gif

And you don't get an award for being the richest guy in the cemetery _ not even the Dilfer Award.
----------
Zuerlein seems to not come through anymore. What do you think?

He's been better this season. A missed 48-yarder off the upright in the rain. That's not exactly a chip shot. Of course, if he makes it, then the Rams need only a field goal at the end to pull out the win instead of a TD after their defensive collapse.
----------
Why no Rams on local TV? I'd love to watch and cheer for whoever they're playing against.

200.gif

Yeah, so does my wife! Looks like FOX2 has chosen Arizona-Atlanta over Rams-New Orleans this week. I don't think the ratings have been strong enough locally in the station's eyes, to show the Rams every week.
---------
Do you think Rams defense is getting frustrated with the iffense?

giphy.gif

Privately, I'm sure that's the case. But this has been going on for years.
----------
In my opinion the Rams will not become a top team until Fisher is gone. He always depends on the defense to win games. You have to have a balanced team to compete in the NFL. I do not know how he has remained a head couch as long as he has. He will ruin Goff if he remains.

All those draft picks, all that free-agent money, and they still can't score points. It is pretty amazing.
----------
What changes do you think fisher is going to make like he claimed?

This far into the season, how much can you change? It's not like he has a 100-player roster to choose from. The trade deadline is over. If you're healthy, can walk and chew gum at the same time, you're already on a team at this point. And if there was someone on the bench who could dramatically change things by playing, he'd probably already be out there.

So what can you do, for example, with the O-line. Start Jamon Brown over Cody Wichmann? Move Donnal in at RT over Havenstein? Move Saffold to LT and Robinson to LG? Hard to imagine any of that making a noticeable difference over the final 6 games..
---------
With all the draft picks they used on offensive lineman you would think they would hit on a few. Les Snead has not done a very good job or do you think Fisher controls who they take. G. Robinson has been a total bust from what I can see.

roflbot.jpg

There's no doubt that Snead shares much of the responsibility for putting together the roster.
----------
Last week Fisher said that Gurley didn't get the ball enough, then this week, they didn't go deep enough. Sure looks like potential OC candidates might want to polish up their resumes. Is Fisher that far removed from game week planning and game day management on the offense?

Given Fisher's track record on offense and overall offensive mindset, if you were a gifted up-and-coming play-caller/offensive mind, is that the guy you'd want to work for?
---------
Do you see Dak Prescott continuing this streak? I have to think at some point the magic runs out.

I keep waiting for him to take a step back, and it just hasn't happened. By now, he's played enough games to where opposing defenses can develop a book on him. You know, his tendencies, strengths and weaknesses against certain coverages, blitzes, etc..

But nothing seems to slow the guy down. Obviously, having that offensive line, having a guy like Ezekiel Elliott in the backfield, having a veteran tight end like Jason Witten helps. The Cowboys do have a tough closing schedule. All of their remaining 6 opponents, starting Thursday with Washington, currently are at .500 or better.
---------
Can't tell you how upset I am at myself. I was having so much fun hate watching the Lambs and Goff's futile performance. But when they went up by 10 late in the game and Miami didn't seem to be able to get anything going, I turned it off.

I had no interest in watching LA celebrate their Golden Boy's first win. But lesson learned, never give up on them. The Lambs can steal a defeat out of the jaws victory no matter what the score or the clock. I won't do that again.

200.gif

As Yogi Berra used to say, it's never over till. . .
----------
Rams make it to 7-9 or do you think 6-10 is more probable? Looking at their schedule it is tough to find 3 more wins to me. I hope they find a way to finish 7-9 though just so we can hear that clip over and over again.

7-9 or 6-10 looks about right. But I don't have strong feelings either way. They have had some success against Brees and New Orleans in the past, even preceding Fisher. I can't see San Francisco beating them again. It's possible they can get Arizona at home.

And they almost always play Seattle tough. That leaves Atlanta and New England. OK, forget about New England,, and it's hard to see them outscoring the Falcons, even if the Falcons aren't on their A game that day.
---------
What would happen to Stan if the Rams continue their losing ways? He will have built
the palace the NFL wanted but I can't believe their would be any fans that would go they are already complaining and not showing up in the first season.

He couldn't move the team he would be stuck losing money in LA. That would be the best revenge for St. Louis fans.

giphy.gif

That's all true, but I guess he will have a franchise that is worth twice as much as it was in St. Louis, and we all know what Malibu Stan is all about.

giphy.gif

------------
Why do you think teams, especially bad teams, overvalue their own players? The Rams are terrible in this regard. They have stuck it out with the same terrible receiving core year after year, even resigning Tavon Austin to a contract that no other team would ever have given him.

The Patriots, on the other hand, are the exact opposite. If a player does not produce, they move on. What do you see as the psychology behind this dynamic to overvaluing your own talent (which goes on in every sport, right?)?

It's a great question and one that defies an easy answer. The Austin extension certainly looks like a big mistake. He seems to be regressing this season. Sometimes, I think there's some stubbornness involved as well, in not wanting to admit the mistake.

And when you work for an organization where there's seemingly no threat of losing your job, such as the Rams, where's the sense of urgency? There is none. But I'm not sure if it's simply a case of just overvaluing your own talent. I think it's an overall issue with evaluating all talent, period.
----------
After reading your Rams Rewind article, I wondered what Hairpieces's plan is. We've seen this same undisciplined, poorly coached team for years now. If he sticks with Fisher will anyone in LA even go to the new stadium? If he picks a new coach will three or four years of rebuilding be right on target?

I don't think Kroenke has much of a plan when it comes to the actual on-the-field product. His m.o. with most of his pro sports teams seems to be hire a veteran coach and stay out of the way. Now if Goff's the real deal, the team can get back on course relatively quickly. If he's not _ well, it may take more than three or four years.
----------
What did you think about Jerryworld?

I've been there a few times previously. Watched the Rams get their teeth kicked in 34-7 in 2011 and 31-7 in 2013. Strangely, my assigned seat in the massive AT&T press box for the Cowboys-Ravens game was almost the exact same spot I sat in covering the Rams there. Also was there for the Green Bay-Pittsburgh Super Bowl (No. 45) after the 2010 season. And a Rams-Cowboys preseason game in 2012, Fisher's first season with the Rams.

It's a gargantuan place. When I was leaving the place Sunday night, I couldn't help thinking: Is all this really necessary to host a football game?The massive video board hanging over the field is hypnotizing. Sitting in the press box, you can see the play better watching the video board than directly watching what's happening on the field through binoculars!

jerryworld.jpg

----------
What's next from the LA fans (so called) - that when they move into the Inglewood stadium they will suddenly become this Super Bowl team? Memo to Stan: you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Update on Kroenke's sports dynasties - Nuggets in last place, Avalanche dead last in the west. It ain't so easy to win when you father-in-law sets you up in land deals and assures your winning all of the "bids" is it?

giphy.gif

Yeah, but doesn't he own the Colorado MLS team as well? I believe they're in the league semifinals.
------------
Based on some comments in Fisher's Monday press conference, one would think some O-line changes are coming this week. But assuming that means changes at LT, who on the team can legitimately play at that spot? Saffold? Any other options there?

It would have to be Saffold. Can't really see any other option.
---------
Nonexistent celebrity buzz and no entertainment factor? Check.
Dwindling crowds at home? Check.
Press and local fans quickly turning on the Rams coaches and front office? Check.

Good thing the NFL "got it right" with their LA decision. The most worrisome thing (or at least it should be worrisome) is how quickly the LA die-hard fans are turning on the franchise.

Judging by the Rams blogs and message boards, the hardcore fans are realizing just how inept Kroenke really is. What on earth made the NFL think that he was the right guy for the LA market? Oh right, more bells & whistles on his stadium.

Greed. The NFL got a showcase stadium out of the deal _ at least they will in 3 years. That's all they care about. And they didn't have to pay for it, except for the stadium fund.

giphy.gif

-----------
Fisher has said he's not making any changes at OC this season. If it were you, would you hand play-calling to Groh at this point? Or is it a lost cause?

Fisher's on his third offensive coordinator in 2 1/2 seasons. I don't think it's the play-caller.
-----------
If there is any moment from Sunday that epitomizes the Fisher Era it is Donald's penalty on Miami's second scoring drive. Not that it was even a horrible penalty it is just that those kind of stupid penalties ALWAYS happen to this team when they need them to happen least.

Don't forget about the Ogletree penalty on the previous drive.
---------
What about Higbee, Cooper and Hemingway? The La papers said these boys are all superstars just waiting for a chance to break out?

What a ridiculous question even in a dumb chat like this one. They've hardly played.

200.gif

I don't know about all that. Although I did wonder about some of the Higbee hype considering his injury history, his off-field issues, and the fact he played at a smaller college.
------------
If the Rams win out, then Fisher keeps his job. Short of that, though, is he finished?

Who knows with Kroenke and Demoff. I would have made the switch last year, move or no move. But I don't know how you could bring him back with anything short of 9-7 _ which would mean winning at least five of the final six.
----------
Jim, the NFL officiating is beyond description. There were three consecutive bad spots that cost Houston a first down late in the game last night with the score tied. The officiating in the NFL is disgraceful. Do you see it the same way?

To a degree, yes. A part of me feels like we've been hearing how bad the officiating is for decades. With all the money the league rakes in, you'd think the extra expense for full-time officials and high-tech cameras on the goal line and sidelines would be a no-brainer. a part me thinks the league likes having the human element of the game in officiating. It keeps people talking. I'm sure they're still talking in Houston today.
--------
A gifted, up-and-coming play caller might not want to work for Fisher, but a just-competent play-caller like Greg Roman might.

Perhaps. But even someone like Roman might pass on the Rams if he had other options.
--------
can we get an update on Robert Quinn? The dude was pure class during his time here and throughout the relocation. Hope he's doing good.

Do you mean on his illness? It was just a dehydration related issues, more of a scare apparently than anything. He was back on the field Sunday against Miami and had a sack.
--------
Do you feel dumber after reading through this chat? Well you should. I know I do.

tumblr_oahq5bPHDt1tmtgyuo1_500.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hold on let me print out the article and head to the bathroom to put it to full use.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I'm done doing these. It has indeed become nothing but negative drivel. The gifs will be put to good use in other threads. :)

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think I'm done doing these. It has indeed become nothing but negative drivel. The gifs will be put to good use in other threads. :)
I gave you a like PT just so u continue to keep posting these sarcastic GIFs. U R truly talented!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ahhhh....I see why guys hate the negative talk now...this kinda got me pissed...Man we need a few wins in a row.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
It has indeed become nothing but negative drivel.

Essentially a perfect metaphor of this team and coaching staff.

As for Kroenke, I stated on this board 3 years ago that (he) views his sports teams simply as commodities. I got a bunch of naysayers on here telling me I was wrong.......can you hear me now? :baghead:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
----------
Any Will Hayes comments regarding greatest fans in the world? I think there were 20,000 left in attendance, late in the 4th with the Rams leading

Could you imagine what it might look like after, say, 12 consecutive non-wining seasons?
-----------
Every Ram home game has had over 80,000 in attendance. I know you want them to fail in LA, but the games are sold out.
Just so everyone knows, there where 83, 400+ in attendance at Sundays game against the Dolphins!

" I come here for the Gifs!!"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat, click the link below. With every loss this chat is getting snarkier, which was to be expected. The gif below pretty sums it up.

200.gif

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_37

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

My sense is the offense just doesn't have the talent required, either at OL, WR, TE, do you agree?

No doubt the talent could be better. So could the coaching. And so could the scouting. Have you really seen much in the way of improvement among the skill position players under Fisher?
----------

-----------

For your information, when you leave your seat to use the rest room or buy food in the Colosseum, you're going to be gone a long time. It's an old, old place, and the larger crowd really slows down everything there.

200.gif

Appreciate the input MR, but it sure looked like a lot of people were at the concession state or the restroom at the same time Sunday.
-----------
I'd like to take this opportunity to trash LA as a market. As a fairly impartial journalist, could you ever imagine a crowd like that at an NFL game in the first season of NFL returning to the city of St. Louis after 20+ years? Wouldn't happen here. After years and years of horrible football and an absent/conniving owner planning a move, of course. But, not in the first year moving back.

Actually, no. Especially in a metro area of _ what _ 18 million. But hey, it was drizzling.

schadenfreude.jpg

---------
Would you can Fisher now or at the end of the season?

I wait until the end of the season, but only pull the plug if the team fails to have a winning record.. You now, if there's more of that 7-9 bull. . . . .
---------
What's your take on Kendricks? More of a liability than an asset?

I think he's an above-average tight end, who can block and catch passes. But he has been known to drop a few. And it doesn't look like that's changed.
--------
Bring back Mike Martz!!!

I'd like to see what Martz could do with Goff. Actually, I think Martz would've preferred Wentz or Mariotta.
----------
Was that rams loss sunday, the worst loss we have seen in a long time? Up by 10, 5 min left and lose. Wow.

not sure if you're new to the Rams party. But there's a lot to chose from over the past 12-plus seasons of non-winning teams. I'd have to think on it, but I'm not sure this one even makes the medal stand.
----------
Jim, of the three upcoming Thanksgiving Day games, what's the most intriguing to you and why?

This will be the first one since 1994 where I won't be spending part of the day at a Rams practice. Which reminds me of a quick Dick Vermeil story. Back in the early days of the Rams in St. Louis, it was a simpler time. Family of players, coaches, and even media were not discouraged from attending the Thanksgiving and Christmas practices.

So it's Vermeil's first year coaching the team _ 1997. I bring my two oldest boys out to Thanksgiving practice, ages 9 and 7 back then. I'm the only reporter at practice, ask Vermeil a few quick questions with my sons at my side. And as we're turning to leave, I hear Vermiel call Rams PR man Duane Lewis over. "Duane! Come here! . . . .Go get those kids some souvenirs."

As for Thursday's games, they're all good matchups. Curious to get another look at Bradford and Minnesota against the surprising Lions, who are the first team in NFL history to have all 10 games decided by a touchdown or less to open the year. Will it be 11 on Thursday?

The Washington/Dallas game is a throwback to the old days when that was the NFL's most heated rivalry. When's the last time those two teams played in such a high-profile game? As for the nightcap, who knows what to expect from the Steelers and Colts on a week-to-week basis? Both teams have been very erratic, and the Colts may be without Andrew Luck (concussion).
---------
JT - my sincere apologies to George Boone. The Rams trade up 14 spots in the draft to trade 6 picks and select a game manager at QB. Oh wait, Fisher said he was good, no delay-of-game penalties. Is there a trophy they give out at the end of the season for this accomplishment by a QB?

tball2.jpg

Hey, let's not judge Goff on one game. He was a game manager only because the Rams wanted him to be a game manager. And yes, on the trophy. It's the coveted Game Manager of the Year award _ aka the GMY.
--------
Which of the great NFL backs of recent vintage might Ezekiel Elliott compare to? Faulk? Emmitt Smith? Tomlinson? Someone else? I don't get to watch much NFL on TV, but I'm intrigued by what I've read about Elliott.

He's bigger and not as elusive as Faulk. He's faster and maybe more powerful than Emmitt Smith. LT strikes me as a smoother runner I don't know, Elliott is kind of unique. He's got plenty of power, some elusiveness, he can get the corner with his speed.

Athleticism? Check out those amazing hurdles of would-be tacklers. And I doubt if there's ever been an NFL back who's been as complete as Elliott entering the league _ in terms of running, catching, and blocking. BTW, I just filed a 1,500-word story on Elliott (off my Dallas trip last Sunday) for our Thanksgiving edition. Hope you check it out.
----------
Jeff Fisher was right when he said on Hard Knocks that there wouldn't be any more 7-9 BS...they won't even make that record this year. What a franchise, all they do is make ESK wealthier. Did anybody ever ask Kroenke how many suits can you wear at one time? How many steaks can you eat at one time? I've never seen a Brinks truck at a funeral in my life.

giphy.gif

And you don't get an award for being the richest guy in the cemetery _ not even the Dilfer Award.
----------
Zuerlein seems to not come through anymore. What do you think?

He's been better this season. A missed 48-yarder off the upright in the rain. That's not exactly a chip shot. Of course, if he makes it, then the Rams need only a field goal at the end to pull out the win instead of a TD after their defensive collapse.
----------
Why no Rams on local TV? I'd love to watch and cheer for whoever they're playing against.

200.gif

Yeah, so does my wife! Looks like FOX2 has chosen Arizona-Atlanta over Rams-New Orleans this week. I don't think the ratings have been strong enough locally in the station's eyes, to show the Rams every week.
---------
Do you think Rams defense is getting frustrated with the iffense?

giphy.gif

Privately, I'm sure that's the case. But this has been going on for years.
----------
In my opinion the Rams will not become a top team until Fisher is gone. He always depends on the defense to win games. You have to have a balanced team to compete in the NFL. I do not know how he has remained a head couch as long as he has. He will ruin Goff if he remains.

All those draft picks, all that free-agent money, and they still can't score points. It is pretty amazing.
----------
What changes do you think fisher is going to make like he claimed?

This far into the season, how much can you change? It's not like he has a 100-player roster to choose from. The trade deadline is over. If you're healthy, can walk and chew gum at the same time, you're already on a team at this point. And if there was someone on the bench who could dramatically change things by playing, he'd probably already be out there.

So what can you do, for example, with the O-line. Start Jamon Brown over Cody Wichmann? Move Donnal in at RT over Havenstein? Move Saffold to LT and Robinson to LG? Hard to imagine any of that making a noticeable difference over the final 6 games..
---------
With all the draft picks they used on offensive lineman you would think they would hit on a few. Les Snead has not done a very good job or do you think Fisher controls who they take. G. Robinson has been a total bust from what I can see.

roflbot.jpg

There's no doubt that Snead shares much of the responsibility for putting together the roster.
----------
Last week Fisher said that Gurley didn't get the ball enough, then this week, they didn't go deep enough. Sure looks like potential OC candidates might want to polish up their resumes. Is Fisher that far removed from game week planning and game day management on the offense?

Given Fisher's track record on offense and overall offensive mindset, if you were a gifted up-and-coming play-caller/offensive mind, is that the guy you'd want to work for?
---------
Do you see Dak Prescott continuing this streak? I have to think at some point the magic runs out.

I keep waiting for him to take a step back, and it just hasn't happened. By now, he's played enough games to where opposing defenses can develop a book on him. You know, his tendencies, strengths and weaknesses against certain coverages, blitzes, etc..

But nothing seems to slow the guy down. Obviously, having that offensive line, having a guy like Ezekiel Elliott in the backfield, having a veteran tight end like Jason Witten helps. The Cowboys do have a tough closing schedule. All of their remaining 6 opponents, starting Thursday with Washington, currently are at .500 or better.
---------
Can't tell you how upset I am at myself. I was having so much fun hate watching the Lambs and Goff's futile performance. But when they went up by 10 late in the game and Miami didn't seem to be able to get anything going, I turned it off.

I had no interest in watching LA celebrate their Golden Boy's first win. But lesson learned, never give up on them. The Lambs can steal a defeat out of the jaws victory no matter what the score or the clock. I won't do that again.

200.gif

As Yogi Berra used to say, it's never over till. . .
----------
Rams make it to 7-9 or do you think 6-10 is more probable? Looking at their schedule it is tough to find 3 more wins to me. I hope they find a way to finish 7-9 though just so we can hear that clip over and over again.

7-9 or 6-10 looks about right. But I don't have strong feelings either way. They have had some success against Brees and New Orleans in the past, even preceding Fisher. I can't see San Francisco beating them again. It's possible they can get Arizona at home.

And they almost always play Seattle tough. That leaves Atlanta and New England. OK, forget about New England,, and it's hard to see them outscoring the Falcons, even if the Falcons aren't on their A game that day.
---------
What would happen to Stan if the Rams continue their losing ways? He will have built
the palace the NFL wanted but I can't believe their would be any fans that would go they are already complaining and not showing up in the first season.

He couldn't move the team he would be stuck losing money in LA. That would be the best revenge for St. Louis fans.

giphy.gif

That's all true, but I guess he will have a franchise that is worth twice as much as it was in St. Louis, and we all know what Malibu Stan is all about.

giphy.gif

------------
Why do you think teams, especially bad teams, overvalue their own players? The Rams are terrible in this regard. They have stuck it out with the same terrible receiving core year after year, even resigning Tavon Austin to a contract that no other team would ever have given him.

The Patriots, on the other hand, are the exact opposite. If a player does not produce, they move on. What do you see as the psychology behind this dynamic to overvaluing your own talent (which goes on in every sport, right?)?

It's a great question and one that defies an easy answer. The Austin extension certainly looks like a big mistake. He seems to be regressing this season. Sometimes, I think there's some stubbornness involved as well, in not wanting to admit the mistake.

And when you work for an organization where there's seemingly no threat of losing your job, such as the Rams, where's the sense of urgency? There is none. But I'm not sure if it's simply a case of just overvaluing your own talent. I think it's an overall issue with evaluating all talent, period.
----------
After reading your Rams Rewind article, I wondered what Hairpieces's plan is. We've seen this same undisciplined, poorly coached team for years now. If he sticks with Fisher will anyone in LA even go to the new stadium? If he picks a new coach will three or four years of rebuilding be right on target?

I don't think Kroenke has much of a plan when it comes to the actual on-the-field product. His m.o. with most of his pro sports teams seems to be hire a veteran coach and stay out of the way. Now if Goff's the real deal, the team can get back on course relatively quickly. If he's not _ well, it may take more than three or four years.
----------
What did you think about Jerryworld?

I've been there a few times previously. Watched the Rams get their teeth kicked in 34-7 in 2011 and 31-7 in 2013. Strangely, my assigned seat in the massive AT&T press box for the Cowboys-Ravens game was almost the exact same spot I sat in covering the Rams there. Also was there for the Green Bay-Pittsburgh Super Bowl (No. 45) after the 2010 season. And a Rams-Cowboys preseason game in 2012, Fisher's first season with the Rams.

It's a gargantuan place. When I was leaving the place Sunday night, I couldn't help thinking: Is all this really necessary to host a football game?The massive video board hanging over the field is hypnotizing. Sitting in the press box, you can see the play better watching the video board than directly watching what's happening on the field through binoculars!

jerryworld.jpg

----------
What's next from the LA fans (so called) - that when they move into the Inglewood stadium they will suddenly become this Super Bowl team? Memo to Stan: you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Update on Kroenke's sports dynasties - Nuggets in last place, Avalanche dead last in the west. It ain't so easy to win when you father-in-law sets you up in land deals and assures your winning all of the "bids" is it?

giphy.gif

Yeah, but doesn't he own the Colorado MLS team as well? I believe they're in the league semifinals.
------------
Based on some comments in Fisher's Monday press conference, one would think some O-line changes are coming this week. But assuming that means changes at LT, who on the team can legitimately play at that spot? Saffold? Any other options there?

It would have to be Saffold. Can't really see any other option.
---------
Nonexistent celebrity buzz and no entertainment factor? Check.
Dwindling crowds at home? Check.
Press and local fans quickly turning on the Rams coaches and front office? Check.

Good thing the NFL "got it right" with their LA decision. The most worrisome thing (or at least it should be worrisome) is how quickly the LA die-hard fans are turning on the franchise.

Judging by the Rams blogs and message boards, the hardcore fans are realizing just how inept Kroenke really is. What on earth made the NFL think that he was the right guy for the LA market? Oh right, more bells & whistles on his stadium.

Greed. The NFL got a showcase stadium out of the deal _ at least they will in 3 years. That's all they care about. And they didn't have to pay for it, except for the stadium fund.

giphy.gif

-----------
Fisher has said he's not making any changes at OC this season. If it were you, would you hand play-calling to Groh at this point? Or is it a lost cause?

Fisher's on his third offensive coordinator in 2 1/2 seasons. I don't think it's the play-caller.
-----------
If there is any moment from Sunday that epitomizes the Fisher Era it is Donald's penalty on Miami's second scoring drive. Not that it was even a horrible penalty it is just that those kind of stupid penalties ALWAYS happen to this team when they need them to happen least.

Don't forget about the Ogletree penalty on the previous drive.
---------
What about Higbee, Cooper and Hemingway? The La papers said these boys are all superstars just waiting for a chance to break out?

What a ridiculous question even in a dumb chat like this one. They've hardly played.

200.gif

I don't know about all that. Although I did wonder about some of the Higbee hype considering his injury history, his off-field issues, and the fact he played at a smaller college.
------------
If the Rams win out, then Fisher keeps his job. Short of that, though, is he finished?

Who knows with Kroenke and Demoff. I would have made the switch last year, move or no move. But I don't know how you could bring him back with anything short of 9-7 _ which would mean winning at least five of the final six.
----------
Jim, the NFL officiating is beyond description. There were three consecutive bad spots that cost Houston a first down late in the game last night with the score tied. The officiating in the NFL is disgraceful. Do you see it the same way?

To a degree, yes. A part of me feels like we've been hearing how bad the officiating is for decades. With all the money the league rakes in, you'd think the extra expense for full-time officials and high-tech cameras on the goal line and sidelines would be a no-brainer. a part me thinks the league likes having the human element of the game in officiating. It keeps people talking. I'm sure they're still talking in Houston today.
--------
A gifted, up-and-coming play caller might not want to work for Fisher, but a just-competent play-caller like Greg Roman might.

Perhaps. But even someone like Roman might pass on the Rams if he had other options.
--------
can we get an update on Robert Quinn? The dude was pure class during his time here and throughout the relocation. Hope he's doing good.

Do you mean on his illness? It was just a dehydration related issues, more of a scare apparently than anything. He was back on the field Sunday against Miami and had a sack.
--------
Do you feel dumber after reading through this chat? Well you should. I know I do.

tumblr_oahq5bPHDt1tmtgyuo1_500.gif
Another XLNT Job by the "Gifs Squad"!!! :yess:{Prime Time}:D

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Essentially a perfect metaphor of this team and coaching staff.

As for Kroenke, I stated on this board 3 years ago that (he) views his sports teams simply as commodities. I got a bunch of naysayers on here telling me I was wrong.......can you hear me now? :baghead:

Your not alone.