Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 11/15/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.

200.gif

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_36?Page=0

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

How was it watching a high scoring game? Are the Titans that good?

For just a minute, I felt like I was watching the Greatest Show Rams, circa 2000 (when I think the Rams were at their most potent, but couldn't stop anybody on defense). I really like Mariota. Liked him coming out. I think he has the makings of a true franchise quarterback. The Titans are definitely a team on the rise.

They are missing some pieces. They need another threat at wide receiver. Need some help on their pass rush, and could use help in the secondary. They have some extra picks from the Rams via the Jared Goff trade _ including a 1st_ and 3rd-rounder in 2017 _ to help them fill those holes.
----------
JT - is there any truth to the rumor that the Rams have hired George Boone to handle their draft?

200.gif

Very nice. Now that's a name from the past.
----------
Jim, will the Browns win a game this year? How can they be so bad??

It's hard to look at the remaining schedule and see a sure victory. They play the Steelers (twice), and also have the Giants, Bengals, Bills, and Chargers, none of whom figure to be pushovers. They do get 4 of those remaining 6 at home. Four of the Browns losses have come by six points or less, so maybe they can scratch out a win or two. Besides, LB Christian Kirksey, who's from St. Louis and is having a very good season, says they're not going 0-16.

Changing coaches and GMs constantly, as the Browns seem to do, isn't the best way to turn a franchise around. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of them continuing to trade down in the draft. It's almost as if they were giving up on now to get better in the future. But they've made a lot of bad personnel decisions there over the years. Including of course, Johnny Football.
----------
Fair to say the decision to start Goff now will ultimately decide Fisher's fate? In other words, do Fisher's detractors root for Goff to fail to effect change?

forever-no.gif

Tough to say. Unless this thing totally falls apart down the stretch, like 4-12 or 5-11, I think Fisher could be back. Yes, that would be after five straight losing seasons.
---------
Will Bradford ever catch a break with a good line?

PI-NFL-Vikings-Bradford-090816.vadapt.664.high.98.jpg

"Sam, Sam...hey Sam!"

Apparently not. You know he has a 100-plus passer rating in each of the past two games. But he's continuing to take some shots. Given his injury history, you just wonder when it'll be one hit too many.
------------
Jim, no not from what I could see. If it wasn't for a major church conference going on there this weekend I would say the dome looks abandoned.

Hopefully, they said a prayer for the Rams. Or should they say a prayer against the Rams?

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_1280.gif

-----------
With the bad play from the offensive line, at times, could it turn out bad for Goff. Or will he provide the spark they need?

Actually, the pass-blocking hasn't been bad for the Rams, although they have made it a point to get the ball out quick. By everything I've been told, Goff does have a quick release. He may need to put that to good use.

3890a751-77c5-490d-9ced-a88c761253cc_500.jpg

Fisher flips: Goff will start at QB for Rams

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_63ed3759-6978-51b1-9d6a-8a906f595a6a.html
----------
Is it true that back in 1998 ESK had Kurt Warner fired from his job as a stock boy so he could sign him to a contract to play QB because he was convinced that Kurt would be a hall of fame QB?

I think you're pretty close on that. But not quite. :)
-----------
Is there any remote possibility, Kahn moves the Jags here?

I keep hearing he's not interested. But I think there are valid concerns about the long-term viability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville by some in the NFL. Maybe there's a chance if London no longer is in play. But even if that's the case, that could be many years down the road.
---------
I bet more than win-loss record, the boring play of Rams Offense turned off many fans so the change to Goff. My guess, this call came from upstairs. comments?

19d703df446b37acc5825a54f6c5615f.jpg

I'm not big on Oliver Stone theories, but. . . .home game coming up, need to get the fan base excited about something. Wonder if Malibu Stan had any, uh, input on this one. As we all know from the Kurt Warner days, he has a keen eye for QB talent.
-----------
Looks like the Cowboys are all in for Prescott. Makes sense. But what does that mean for Romo in 2017? Where does he wind up? (Please say LA ... please say LA ...)

27ymrzs.jpg

Yeah, it certainly looks like this is now Prescott's team. So why not trade Romo after the season if you're the Cowboys? As for Romo going to the Rams, I could see Kroenke liking such a move, but what does that say about Goff and all those picks you traded for him? And if you're Romo, at this stage of your career, wouldn't you want to go to a Super Bowl contender.
----------
Can/will the Rams make the playoffs? Need to know how hard I'll have to root for the opposition over the last seven games.

Even though the NFC West isn't that strong this year, and the NFC North is down, it's hard to see the Rams squeezing out a wild-card berth because of the strength of the NFC East where everyone currently has a winning record and where ultimately both wild-cards could come from.

The Rams defense has played very well so far this season, but they're about to be tested: Atlanta, New England, New Orleans, and Arizona all are ranked No. 8 or better in the league in total offense.
----------
6-10 Balloon party? Fisher losing-ist coach in history. Can Rams find 5 losses from here on out? better yet can they find two wins?

giphy.gif

As you know the NFL is very unpredictable. I would say best chances for 2 wins: Miami and San Francisco. Best chances for 5 losses: New England, Atlanta, Arizona, Seattle, and New Orleans.
---------
Does it seem that the Rams players never get any better after being drafted ? You would think NFL coaches could enhance the players skill set.

I don't think what you're saying is entirely true. Players like Eugene Sims, Alec Ogletree, Lance Kendricks, Janoris Jenkins, and Rodney McLeod certainly improved. Unfortunately for the Rams, McLeod and Jenkins are now elsewhere. But haven't really seen much if any improvement in the likes of Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, and Greg Robinson.
---------
Jim, what can we do to help the Rams lose?

582b599d07750982918412.gif

As for what you can do to help the Rams lose. . .usually it takes care of itself.
---------
Hi Jim, talking about Pead, when did you see that he was not going to be as advertised? Coming in he said all the right things, being willing to learn from Steven Jackson, but he never lived up to his second round draft status. Do you think it was lack of talent or was it more his mindset?

A little of both. I think Pead has some maturity and off-field issues. And as good as he was in college, I just don't think he was a physical runner by NFL standards.
---------
This year has been the a huge Win-Win for me. If the Rams win I'm happy. If they get there a**es handed to them I'm happy. Here's to Goff having a great first start. . . or not. I'm covered either way.

Very interesting. So when you watch the game, do you cheer when something good happens or something bad happens?

yay1.gif

----------
Prediction on Dolphins @ Rams?

Based on how Dolphins head coach Adam Gase coached circles around the Rams last year (as Chicago's OC), I'm leaning towards Gase.

CaogEdw.gif

----------
Your colleague, Jeff Gordon, said it all right here. Covering the Rams all those years, didn't you just marvel at how horrid they were, and continue to be, at drafting players?
www.stltoday.com

They have indeed had some swings and misses.
---------
Sounds like it's time for Gurley to step-up. If Fisher wants to help Goff win his first start, they will need to commit to running the ball and Gurley will need to make something happen. Gurley's too talented to play this poorly, regardless of how bad his OL is playing. I think the Rams win 20-17.

No doubt. They stuck with Gurley and the running game more against the Jets than they had been recently, and Gurley had some good moments in the fourth quarter _ including on what proved to be the game-winning field goal drive.
----------
When the MVP of your team is the punter you are a joke of a team

pls.gif

Yeah, it doesn't speak very well to the offense, does it?
----------
Is Aaron Rodgers passé ?

I don't think so. He's not playing up to his past standards, but he's still pretty good. The Packers sure could use a running back, and a tight end. (I guess Jared Cook was supposed to be that receiving tight end.) And the defense sure looked awful in Nashville.
---------
What will the Rams do with Sean Mannion? He showed some promising signs of progress and now is doomed to be a practice tackling dummy.

Does make you wonder. He looked much-improved in thee preseason.
---------
Enter Goff to save the day! One thing you can say about the o-line in front of him, they are truly offensive. I'm guessing he comes out of this looking like a piñata after a kids birthday party.

200w.gif

Again, I don't think the pass-blocking has been that bad. It's the run-blocking that's the issue. Just get the ball out quick, and he should be OK.
---------
Knowing Fisher like we do, there is NO chance he makes this change after a W....this had to come from upstairs, and I'm sure the trade and picking of the local kid did as well. Of course, the LA writers all say this was Fisher's call. But, in the end, it doesn't matter if Goff plays well - and it will be hard to be worse than Case.....

I can't tell you one way or the other if this was Fisher's call. I will say that trading up for Goff just didn't seem like a Fisher move.
---------
Any chance Gurley catches a break and gets traded to a contender? What a waste of talent on a perennial loser.

giphy.gif

Don't think he's going anywhere.
----------
Other than Gurly, which other offensive player do you think can start on most NFL teams from this Rams bunch?

Saffold. Britt maybe as a second WR. Kendricks could start for several.
-------
As a UK Ram fan, im interested in what comes first. The UK get a franchise or the Rams make the playoffs?

I'd say Rams make the playoffs, but I say this with a caveat: I hope you're a patient person.
---------
dumbass.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fair to say the decision to start Goff now will ultimately decide Fisher's fate? In other words, do Fisher's detractors root for Goff to fail to effect change?

If anything playing Goff buys Fisher some time IMO. He was more in danger of losing his job if he stuck with Keenum the rest of the way. With Goff he gets a mulligan.

Is there any remote possibility, Kahn moves the Jags here?

I think that the Jags do move to St. Louis in a few years. Maybe 3-4

I bet more than win-loss record, the boring play of Rams Offense turned off many fans so the change to Goff. My guess, this call came from upstairs. comments?

I don't buy the conspiracy theory either, not at all

As for Romo going to the Rams, I could see Kroenke liking such a move

Hell no. They just got rid of a fragile QB in Bradford.

Other than Gurly, which other offensive player do you think can start on most NFL teams from this Rams bunch?

Saffold. Britt maybe as a second WR. Kendricks could start for several.

I don't think he has watched Saffold very closely this year. He certainly has dropped off. I also think he is a bit higher on Kendricks than he should be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well ...... I would like to say ....

giphy (2).gif

But I can't ..... I would be ....
Literally screaming.gif

I come here to steal Prime's Gifs!!(y);):D:LOL:

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I'm so fucking sick of Jim Thomas. I seriously think he loves being the ring leader of this high school crap. If I was his employer I'd shut this shit down because it's just beyond ridiculous at this point.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Regarding moving up for Goff and the perception it doesn't have the feel of a Fisher move. I disagree. Fisher and Snead have proven to be unpredictable and aggressive in the draft. Moving up for TA is a prime example.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
JT is embarrassing himself.
I thought he was better than that.
Apparently not.