Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 10/18/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the entire chat click the link below.

dramatic.gif

***************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_32

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

Do you think the Raiders moving to Las Vegas will be approved by a large majority of the NFL owners?

200w.gif

I think it will. The league's stance on gambling with respect to Las Vegas seems to have softened in the past couple of years. And the NHL has already paved the way by agreeing to have a team there. Besides, the NFL owners have been known to like money.
---------
Any chance within 20 years STL ever gets another NFL franchise?

I would say I doubt it, but I wouldn't rule it out. Does the league ever decide it wants to expand? Does a new group of civic and political leaders emerge here who want to pursue a team?
----------
Do you see Aaron Rodgers' issues as a temporary slide or the beginning of his decline?

He just looks tentative on a lot of his throws, as if his confidence is no longer there. The throws aren't as accurate. I still think he can regroup and return to what he has done in the past. He has shown flashes of it this season, such as the first half of the Detroit game earlier this season.
----------
Colin Kaepernick is done, isn't he? He just can't throw the ball with any accuracy. Do the Niners go back to Blaine?

(Watch the hit at the end)

200.gif

He's not done yet. Kelly is starting Kaepernick this week vs. Tampa Bay. The overlying problem, beyond the talent - or lack of talent - of Gabbert and Kaepernick is the lack of overall talent around them. For starters, that's not much of a group of receivers or tight ends. That points to the front office and ownership as much as the quarterbacks.
----------
if Kroenke was such a genius when he "discovered" Kurt Warner, why did he allow him to be exposed in the expansion draft when Cleveland came into the league?

He hadn't "discovered" him yet. No, I kid. . .I joke. Amazingly, starting left guard Tom Nutten also was available in that expansion draft. Nutten was a staple of those Greatest Show offensive lines, a very good pass blocker. Jim Hanifan raves about the job he did on Warren Sapp in the 1999 season NFC title game against Tampa Bay.
---------
So, Dak Prescott can lead the Cowboys to a 5-1 record, but the #1 overall pick can't see the field ... where's the disconnect?

Interesting isn't it. I've heard some gossip from afar that the Rams may not be quite as thrilled with Goff as they're letting on.

Mxkev.gif

(Or it could be that the Cowboys have the best O-line in the NFL which makes everyone else look better).
----------
How do you rate the Rams' offensive line so far?

So-so. Keenum hasn't been sacked all that often. I thought the run-blocking would be better at this point.

(And there you go).
-----------
Do the LA fans (so called), realize that by the time the new stadium is built the Rams will be playing half their games in other countries? Beijing, London, Mexico City and probably Berlin since Germany wants a game.

636065420220696117-2108917840_giphy.gif

Malibu Stan does like those London games.
----------
Out of curiosity, I visited the chat on the LA Daily News. Other than never-ending praise for the host of the chat and deep-probing questions about what color the uniforms should be (what is this obsession with laundry?), I gained very little insight on any football-related matters.

I can see why the la fans all flock here for information. You may want to give a tutorial on how to run a chat session.

200.gif

I haven't seen the chat you're referring to, so I'm not going to comment other than to say we appreciate you stopping by.
----------
The only undefeated team in the league is led by Sam Bradford. How is that possible?

We live in a great country, a land of opportunity. After all these years, I have to believe Bradford is due a break or two.

roflbot.jpg

-----------
Seems like every week a coach is calling for expanding replay to review even more aspects of the game (to correct bad calls by the officials). This week, it is pass interference. Do you see replay becoming an even bigger part of football than it is now?

200.gif

The league is more obsessed with keeping games at close to 3 hours in length than it is on getting every call right. I'm sure it will be discussed. Isn't PI reviewable in the Canadian league? The thing that bothers me most of all is how subjective the pass interference calls are from week to week, game to game, crew to crew.

You see how closely PI was called Monday night in the Jets-Cardinals game, and then somehow the Sherman play _ which seemed pretty obvious in Seattle-Atlanta _ goes uncalled. I know it's a fast-moving game, but how can there be such a fluctuation in interpretation?
----------
Did you see the empty seats at the Rams last home game? If they aren't filling up the stadium after not having football for 20 years. What does that mean for the future?

Yes I did. It's more noticeable using certain camera angles _ the higher up shots as opposed to the shots from ground level. Don't get me wrong. It was still a good crowd. But it does make me wonder what it would be like if the good fans of LA were subject to 12 consecutive non-winning seasons punctuated by a 15-65 won-loss stretch over 5 years.

Rams-practice-at-Coliseum-8-6-16.JPG

----------
Hey Jim, I really enjoyed your article on why the Rams couldn't muscle up against the Lions. Reading it would enlighten the LA fans tremendously on Fisher and his failures. Looks like the promise of a bright 3-1 start is slipping away. Again.

I appreciate the kind words. Every week, I write a "Rams Rewind" story that appears the day after the game with my observations and perspective. Normally, it appears only online at stltoday.com. Yeah, it does look like the Rams are falling backing into some of that "7-9 bull. . . ." but it's only six games. Still plenty of time for the season to go either way.
----------
The Bengals and Redskins are two teams that have surprised me. I'm surprised at how bad the Bengals have been, and how good the Redskins are.

I thought Washington was dead after those first two losses, with Cousins' play seemingly slipping back into pre-2015 levels. But they've managed to win 4 in a row and here they are in the thick of the playoff mix so far.

The NFC East looks much-improved. It's been a while since it's been a dominant division. The Bengals have surprised me also. The offense looks sluggish. Do they miss not having Hue Jackson as their offensive coordinator that much?
---------
Hi Jim - nobody seems to mention Fisher running the clock out at the end of the 1st half? Why? If they failed then Detroit would have had the ball backed up and a safety could have been on? Thoughts? Leon, UK (hoping for an exciting win in London this Sunday!)

That's a great point Leon. I did think of it briefly after the game.
---------
I would speculate that if the Rams scored they didn't want any time on the clock for Detroit to score.

I get that. But if there's a change of possession on the 1 1/2-foot line and just 20-something seconds remaining in the half, Detroit probably isn't going to go 99 1/2 yards to score in that time. The Lions are too close to the goal line for a kneel-down, so maybe you can get Aaron Donald free for a tackle in the end zone.
----------
Are the Rams preparing any ceremony for when Fisher becomes the NFL coach with the most losses? (Just 7 away!)

Maybe that's when they announce the new contract.

giphy.gif

--------
I'm back to wanting to replace Fisher. Who are the coaches thought to be ready for a head coaching position in the NFL?

If you want to go with an offensive-minded head coach, Kyle Shanahan _ now the Atlanta OC _ looks like the hottest thing going. You could go after a college coach, such as Houston's Tom Herman. If you're into recycling, does Wade Phillips get another chance? Unfortunately, it's too late to lure Dick Vermeil out of retirement again.
--------

Looking back at the RGIII trade it is my understanding that three players are still with the Rams Brockers, Olgletree, and G. Robinson. I evaluate the results of the trade as follows:

If the Rams had simply stayed put, and had been lucky, they could have taken Brockers. So there is no gain from the trade. My guess is they would have taken Trent Richardson or Justin Blackmon.

G. Robinson has actually been a negative. If they hadn't invested so much in him they would have looked elsewhere for a left tackle. There is no gain for him.

That leaves Ogletree who seems like a good player. He is all the Rams have to show for the "king's ransom" of draft picks they received. A good player, but not one that will turn a franchise around by himself.

Your thoughts?

Your memory is good. Here are the 8 players that came from the RGIII trade: DT Michael Brockers, CB Janoris Jenkins, RB Isaiah Pead, OL Rokevious Watkins, LB Alec Ogletree, WR Stedman Bailey, RB Zac Stacy, OT Greg Robinson. Only Brockers, Jenkins, Ogletree, and Robinson are currently playing in the NFL.

None of the 8 players has made a Pro Bowl. Brockers, Jenkins, and Ogletree are pretty good players, with Ogletree potentially the best of the bunch. I think Robinson has improved somewhat but still hasn't played up to No. 2 draft status. As things stands now, the trade hasn't been that much of a windfall for the Rams.
----------
4th and Goal from the One with 1 second on the clock. The Rams want to be a power running offense but THEY ARE NOT. Often stoned at the line. Bad call by Fisher or bad execution?

ef5c3f62-af99-45ec-b48a-cad0b47737b0_500.jpg

Both. Two Lions got penetration in the middle of the Rams' line to blow up the play. But why line up in an ultra-jumbo formation there? That rarely seems to work these days. Why not have two or three WRs lined up wide to stretch out the defense?

Put Tavon Austin in motion, so the defense has to put their eyes on him for a split second and wonder if a jet sweep is coming. If you have time, check out the story I wrote on the play in our weekly Rams Rewind on stltoday.com.
---------
Much has been talked about how great the Rams defense is, but after the front line, is there really much talent or depth there?

To me, the defense has never quite fulfilled its promise despite all those past and present top draft picks in the front 7. It has shown flashes of it, including the Seattle and Arizona games this year, but has never developed into a top 10 unit.
----------
Keenum's a free agent at year end. Do the Rams try and keep him and since he will want to play will he want to accept their offer?

Fisher likes Keenum a lot, so if Fisher's back I'm sure he'll try to bring Keenum back. And Keenum's play so far this year _ especially this past week in Detroit _ has earned himself a little money.
----------
Miami and San Fran at home look like the only two games left on the schedule where the Rams will be favored. This is starting to smell like a 6-10 campaign.

tear.gif

You never know. It's a week-to-week business, and more than half the games these days come down to the fourth quarter. I think it's a sure thing there will be one or two victories over the final 10 games that we don't expect, and one or two losses we don't expect.
---------
Is Josh McDaniels a viable head coach or is he just another in a long line of excellent coordinators who would be in-over-their heads as the man in charge? I know he was the HC in Denver, but it appeared the job was too big for him.

Interesting point on McDaniels. He didn't exactly sparkle in St. Louis in 2011 as Sam Bradford's offensive coordinator. A lot of those Belichick disciples haven't done well once they've strayed from the Mothership. McDaniels may get another chance as a head coach after this season, but wherever he goes, he won't have Tom Brady.
--------
To win championships in the NFL you have to have a stacked roster, and this "organization" only defines "stacked" by how high Kroenke's $100 bills are, not by wins.

That does seem to be the overriding consideration for ESK.

(Yes, because of the 32 NFL owners, only Stan Kroenke is interested in making money).

giphy.gif

---------
With a subpar team, declining attendance and being about the 8th option on how to spend you sports dollar in LA, how do you suppose PSLs will sell? They are bound to be expensive and I'm sure stan will tell anybody that listens to him how much "jack" he's put into his new town. Are fans really going to be that impressed with a new stadium, no matter how bad the product is?

Perhaps initially those PSLs will sell. But a lot of the fans who are attending the LA Rams games at the moment figure to be priced out of the new building. And as you mentioned, there are a lot of other entertainment options. As Leigh Steinberg told me, a sports team not only has to be winning to succeed in LA, it has to have stars.
----------
The final standings of the NFC West looks like...

Arizona 11-5, Seattle 11-5, LA 7-9, San Francisco 3-13.

doom-gloom.jpg

---------
So does Dean Spanos, upon losing the stadium referendum in SD, eat crow and move in with Stan?

That appears to be his only option at this point. Or stay in San Diego in that crumbling stadium.
---------
How' that roster depth working out for the Rams after trading away multiple picks to draft a QB # 1 so he can stand on the sidelines holding a clip board?

200.gif

Not very well at the moment.
----------
So Fish has no control over the actions of his team? Twice they attack the victory formation and he has nothing to do with it? I call bs.

Teams invariably reflect the personality of their head coach.

(Yes, because if your head coach has a winning personality, there will be fewer injuries and penalties called against your team, plus the ball will mostly bounce in your favor).

zipoxk.jpg

----------
Do you know if there is a "St. Louis blacklist" with the rams from management? Despite having been here all of those years and developing relationships with players/staff/front office, I have yet to hear about a single interview since they moved from a St. Louis source. And they say WE should get over it!

I'm not sure anyone from the St.. Louis market has requested an interview. Although I'm always available whenever Stan wants to talk. The Rams know this. There's no need for the Rams to look back on St. Louis now that they're in LA, and they're doing a pretty good job when it comes to pretending those 21 years never existed.
---------
The fish is quite obviously clueless about offense. If for nothing else, he should be fired for that.

Here's to another adventure in mediocrity. I'm flabbergasted about how he keeps his job.

It is pretty amazing.

giphy.gif

---------
I've read that NFL ratings have plummeted. Do Red Zone channels ratings figure into that? If not, could Red Zone be cannabalizing the ratings? From a fantasy perspective, it's more perfect than watching just one game.

I don't think Red Zone is included. Nor or any of the various apps where you can stream a game. I'm sure that's taking away some of the viewers, but not to the extent of an 11 percent drop.
--------
No matter who is lined up at o-line, receiver, defensive backfield, the Patriots continue to roll. Is that owing more to Belichick or Brady?

They both deserves some credit, but I'd title it more to Brady. Hard to win in this league without a quarterback.
---------
When was the last time a #1 overall pick didn't play right away? Is it an indictment of Fisher and his coaches to not see that Goff wasn't NFL ready and Wentz is?

That would be QB JaMarcus Russell in 2007. He played in only 4 games as a rookie with 1 start. Threw only 66 passes that year. Was out of the league after '09. The 8 No. 1 overall picks drafted between Goff and Russell all started on opening day.

That list includes 5 QBs: Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, and Matthew Stafford. Two offensive linemen: Eric Fisher and Jake Long. And 1 defensive lineman/outside linebacker: Jadeveon Clowney.

(Here's my nominee for the next Los Angeles Rams starting quarterback, since some in this chat believe the organization is not interested in winning, only making money. She would at least be a star).

200w.gif

------------
Who do you think is the first coach to get the ax this season?

Tough call. Among the five zero-win and 1-win teams, Hue Jackson and Chip Kelly are in their first year with their team; Todd Bowles is in his second; and Ron Rivera and John Fox have taken teams to Super Bowls. Perhaps Pagano (Indy) or McCoy (San Diego) if the losing continues in those places.
---------
Three years ago I made a bet with a friend that the Rams would go 10-6 in at least one of the next three season. This is the last season and when the Rams were sitting at 3-1 my friend was sweating big time. Now they're 3-3 and he's sitting easy. Is there much of a chance that this team can go 10-6 this year?

Doubt it.
--------
Fisher takes a lot of bullets for this team, and rightfully so, but why is Snead's head not in a noose too?

Les keeps a very low profile, doesn't he?
----------
Gurley looks ordinary so far. Is the Knee bothering him, conditioning issues or unable to process the playbook? If he continues to be pale, Rams are toast for years to come.

He looked pretty good in the early going Sunday, but got only 14 carries _ a season low. Yes, the passing game was going well, but the Rams didn't stick with the running game.
----------
For Fisher's $35 million salary (so far) - what does that equate to, something like $1million per victory?

Not yet. He's 30-39-1 so far.
--------
Hey Jim, Us "so called" LA Ram fans don't need to be "enlightened" on the failure of Fisher and his record, we're well aware of it. But we are still in the honeymoon stage of having our Rams back.

As for Goff, I knew they made a mistake on him, my preference was for Wentz. I just don't see it in Goff's eyes. He looks like he is way over his head. And Fisher not playing him is just to a degree hiding the fact they made the wrong choice.

images

I liked Wentz better coming out as well.
-----------
I think the product is bad in the NFL this year. Very view talented and well-disciplined teams. The game last night was painful to watch with so many flags (which were all well-deserved). Reminds me of a John McKay quote during the first season with the Bucs. When asked about his team's execution, John McKay replied: "I'm in favor of it".

OK, I get that. Between all the flags and more reviews, a lot of the games lack a flow. I think there's still plenty of talent. But there do seem to be more sloppy games. Maybe that's a byproduct of less practice time and less time allowed in pads.
--------
The diving at the victory formation has been reported on as the Rams players retaliating for dirty plays by the Lions O-Line, did you see the dirty plays by the Lions?

Did not. But a lot of what goes on in the trenches basically goes unseen.
-------
The Rams woes are traceable directly to Fisher and Snead. These guys just don't get it and are doomed to failure.

200.gif

Well Fisher and Snead did do admirable work in getting the Rams out of that 15-65 funk. But they've been stuck in neutral for a few years now.
--------
do you think Goff is dressing as the backup because he is more prepared than Mannion or do you think it's for pr reasons?

That's a good question. Mannion sure looked good in the preseason. I think you'd have to say he's better prepared at this point.
----------
Chances Goff starts a game for the Rams, assuming Keenum doesn't get hurt?

Sometime this season? I'd say 70-30 that Goff starts at least 1 game some time this season.
-----------
giphy.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JT's Chat is about as negative as most Rams boards these days :(

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
So, Dak Prescott can lead the Cowboys to a 5-1 record, but the #1 overall pick can't see the field ... where's the disconnect?

Interesting isn't it. I've heard some gossip from afar that the Rams may not be quite as thrilled with Goff as they're letting on.

This worries me a little. Think JT has a legit source telling him this ? If so, we could be screwed for many more years.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
This worries me a little. Think JT has a legit source telling him this ? If so, we could be screwed for many more years.

What's remarkable (if true) is how much so called evaluation time took place, checking and double checking to ensure every aspect of this kid had been covered.....there was no rush, they even brought both back in for a final look....I recall those all knowing glances between Fisher and Snead at a press table, they we almost giggly about their choice.......funny, I don't hear any giggles at the moment. :baghead:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's gossip. I mean, think about it.
If the Rams weren't thrilled with Goff, do you think they'd tell anyone - knowing that everyone in the free world has a smart phone and a twitter account?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
It's gossip. I mean, think about it.
If the Rams weren't thrilled with Goff, do you think they'd tell anyone - knowing that everyone in the free world has a smart phone and a twitter account?

I agree 98%, if it were not for the Foles experience, it would have been 100%. :cautious:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only undefeated team in the league is led by Sam Bradford. How is that possible?

Maybe because it's a great team and Sam wasn't as bad as all and sundry thought he was. Gonna be great to watch all those talking head bozos eat their words by season's end.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Put Tavon Austin in motion, so the defense has to put their eyes on him for a split second and wonder if a jet sweep is coming. If you have time, check out the story I wrote on the play in our weekly Rams Rewind on stltoday.com.
JT does know a lil football fellas...

I only clicked on this for the Gifs!!(y):cool:
200w.gif

yeah...the gifs dave....just the gifs......LOLOL:rolllaugh::LOL::love:;):shades: :cool: :heh: :sneaky: :mustache::party::nice:

:mrburnsevil:

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe because it's a great team and Sam wasn't as bad as all and sundry thought he was. Gonna be great to watch all those talking head bozos eat their words by season's end.

That's the thing.
Put a super talented guy on a talented team and good things happen. Lack of talent or ability was never Bradfords issue.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Norvasc Turner is theasy difference with Sam plain and simple. First time he's had a real good coach in the NFL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
JT does know a lil football fellas...

200w.gif

yeah...the gifs dave....just the gifs......LOLOL:rolllaugh::LOL::love:;):shades: :cool: :heh: :sneaky: :mustache::party::nice:

:mrburnsevil:
Butt I am sure every one of us Likes a nice Gif!!:snicker::shades:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

No... I do not believe JT has a legit Ram source telling him anything.

He probably has remained in contact with some former Ram people and the old equipment manager, but that's it... certainly nobody on the current staff would be sharing ANYTHING with him. ANYTHING.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No... I do not believe JT has a legit Ram source telling him anything.

He probably has remained in contact with some former Ram people and the old equipment manager, but that's it... certainly nobody on the current staff would be sharing ANYTHING with him. ANYTHING.

Correct. If Jeff Fisher wouldn't share doodly-squat(*see groovy tune below*) with JT while the team was in St. Louis, why would he or any of his staff share anything with him now?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylmByeB6bg