Jim Thomas - NFL Chat - 10/11/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below. Grab a cup of coffee and dive in. Good luck, you'll need it.

giphy.gif

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_31

Jim Thomas - NFL Chat

Afternoon Jim, what do you think of the ratings slump. Looks like St Louis no-longer-ram fans are single handedly taking down the NFL. You think it’s backlash for the kneeling during the anthem? I’m sure the owners are more worried than they let on.

I think there are a lot of factors at work. And I think one of the factors is a backlash for the kneeling during the National Anthem. The presidential election has been a contributing factor. Not having some marquee players available hurts as well. Manning retires. Romo is hurt. Brady is suspended. A lot of the games seem sloppy. And through its sheer greed, the league is alienating markets in Oakland, San Diego, and St. Louis by having teams leave or threatening to leave.

Ratings mean dollars. And if this trend continues, it will cost the owners dollars. Over the years, I've frequently been asked why the owners continue to back Roger Goodell, even though he has seemed to mishandle a lot of situations. My answer has always been that as long as people were still watching games, as long as the money was still rolling in, nothing would change. We'll see what happens if this decline in ratings continues.
----------
How do ratings work? How do the ratings agencies know what I am watching? I think years ago one agency had a box attached to several thousand TVs across the country that recorded and transmitted what channel it was on when the TV was on and the other agency use telephone polling to ask if the TV was on and if so what channel.

I was curious if this is still the case, in which they don't really know what I am watching, or if newer technology enables Big Brother to spy on my viewing habits?

Nielsen Media Research uses about 5,000 households then extrapolates those results for nationwide ratings. Those households are metered to provide info on what is being watched. Statistical sampling is used in deciding those households, similar to how pollsters go about making election projections.
---------
Scott Linehan obviously was not ready to be a head coach when he was with the Rams but do you think he gets a 2nd chance in the future?

I'm not sure Linehan wants a second chance. It's one thing to call plays, it's another to lead an organization I'm not sure Linehan can lead an organization.
----------
James Laurenitis looked about 2 steps slow on last weeks game and I did not catch this weeks game, but lack of D seems a big issue in NOLA. Whats up there ?

The Saints had a bye this past weekend. I watched the Monday night game against Atlanta in Week 3 and paid special attention to Laurnaitis. He started well, was very active early. But didn't do much the rest of the way. He did seem slow. Don't know if that was due to his injury or not.

He was on the pregame inactive list the following week with a quad injury, ending his streak of 115 consecutive starts. The Saints play this week at home against Carolina. We'll see if Laurinaitis starts of if he plays. Defense has been a big issue for several seasons in New Orleans.
----------
So how did the Rams lose to Charlie Whitehurst and the Seahawks with the playoff spot at stake? Did Whitehurst play the only competent game of his career or were the Rams just flat out awful for that game?

stop-living-in-the-past.jpg

I think Seattle won the game because of its dominant defense.
---------
Over the years, I'm sure you've had opportunities to just sit down with a coach or two and just "talk football." Can you name a coach or two (assistant, head coach, position coach) who provided you with the most insight on the game?

There have been several coaches over the years who've helped. Mike Martz, Gregg Williams, and Rick Venturi come to mind. Martz occasionally would even sit down and watch film with me. I still lean on Coach Venturi even though he's been retired from coaching for several years. He does radio and TV work for the Colts in Indianapolis and still looks at a lot of tape. In fact, I talked to him this morning just before the chat started. Talking to a coach can make a beat writer look smart.
----------
UK Ram fan looking forward to game at Twickenham on 23rd. Supported Rams in LA in 80s/90s, in St Louis 90s/Noughties and now back in LA. Feel bad for fans in St Louis, that was a spectacular slap in the face - I have good friends in St Louis because of Rams.

This feels like another Fisher 7-9, 3 yards and a cloud of dust season so is the better option to start Goff now and season him or wait till next season as he might get killed in a losing season effort anyway?

giphy.gif

Yes, it was a spectacular slap in the face to St. Louis. And trust me, for many in St. Louis it still hurts. I think the formula on when Goff plays is pretty simple. If the Rams keep winning, Keenum keeps playing. If they start to pile up losses, Goff will get his chance.

If the team meanders around the .500 mark _ the decision is tougher for Fisher.. I can tell you this, from watching Goff in the preseason games and also on the first weekend of training camp, he does not look ready
----------
Is the fact that goff is not ready a reflection on Goff or the coaches' inability to develop QB's? Certainly Bradford's success in Minn, as well as his stuggles with Rams, as well as Foles', reflect poorly on the coaching.

Probably some of both. I wrote months ago that Goff wasn't really surrounded by a lot of quarterback knowledge on the Rams coaching staff.

say-you-do-here.gif

wrkng.gif

---------
The Jared Goff situation is mystify, What do you think is really wrong behind the scenes ? Do you think he will play this year ?

For one, I think you can start by questioning the presumption that he was a No. 1 overall talent to begin with. I've been told that Goff may not have much in the way of leadership skills. And three, there's always the adjustment to the pro-style game by QBs who played in the spread and the no-huddle in college. And the Rams don't have a bona fide quarterback whisperer on their staff.

Fisher has a defensive background. Boras' background is in line play and the running game. Weinke is relatively new to coaching, and coaching at the NFL level. I'm not saying they're not knowledgeable coaches, but there's not much expertise in this area.
---------
Given "Mad Mikes" record, are you surprised no team has offered him a HC position?

martz_02.gif

Yes, I am a little bit surprised. Mike has a reputation for being difficult to work with, but I think his resume speaks for itself. He's one of the game's most creative minds. I believe he's 65 now, but I think he'd like one more crack at calling plays.
---------
Thanks for the article on former Rams players this week. Good for Bradford and Chris Long. Remember when OJ Anderson demanded a trade, went to the Giants and became Super Bowl MVP? I'm still glad he got out of a bad organization and his talents were recognized on a national stage. Do you think any former Rams players have that opportunity?

Glad you liked it. Every week, we try to update readers online on either former St. Louis Rams or players with area ties. This week, we'll update the NFL players who are from St. Louis. Was working on that before the chat and should have it posted some time today. Certainly both Chris Long in New England and Sam Bradford in Minnesota have a chance to reach the Super Bowl. I think it's great that they'll both finally have a chance to appear in a playoff game.
---------
when is the Jeff Fisher extension coming through? You alluded that it could be already done just not announced?

It's just a guess on the contract extension being already done. But that's kind of what the indicators point to. Again, after 4 consecutive losing seasons, I don't know why you wouldn't wait and see how Year 5 plays out before agreeing on an extension.
-------
Does the NFL ever come back to STL?

If I had to bet, I'd say no. I think I'm safe in saying the current group of political and civic leaders are fed up with the NFL at this point after how the Rams relocation went down. Perhaps that changes if the league decides to expand, but that doesn't seem to be on the horizon at this point.
---------
Would the Rams offense be better if they brought back OL Mack, Scibelli, Cowan, Carollo and Iman?

giphy.gif

Not all that familiar with that group, but I know it'd be better off with Pace, Nutten, McCollum, Timmerman, and Tucker.
---------
Is the fact that goff is not ready a reflection on Goff or the coaches' inability to develop QB's? Certainly Bradford's success in Minn, as well as his stuggles with Rams, as well as Foles', reflect poorly on the coaching.

Probably some of both. I wrote months ago that Goff wasn't really surrounded by a lot of quarterback knowledge on the Rams coaching staff.
---------
Given how inept the offense is playing, do you think Goff should play now?

giphy.gif

Actually, the offense played pretty decently against Buffalo. With a little better execution in the red zone, they would've scored a couple of more touchdowns.
----------
It appears the 49ers are trending down. Does Chip Kelly abandon ship and head back to the college ranks?

Of course, it always helps to have players. Especially at the quarterback position. We'll see what happens now that Colin Kaepernick is back as the starting QB. But if the losses keep piling up like they have in 49ers-land, Kelly may not have a choice.
--------
One thing that really irks me is the "incidental contact" between WR's and DB's that is allowed. This is a form of cheating and should not be allowed. Same thing with holding by offensive linemen. Sometimes they look like dancing bears but nothing is called. Why does the NFL allow this to go on?

As long as illegal contact isn't called, or not called very often, the players will keep doing it. It's interesting that you brought this up because in watching the games this year I think there's more WR-DB contact than usual. The league could try to combat it by calling more penalties, but nobody wants that. Some feel the length of games and the flow of games is already bad enough.
--------
The "locker room" talk that is big in the news - have you ever heard it in all your years?

(Another nonsensical question, so here's a gif of Wonder Woman to keep you busy until JT comes up with an answer).

stck.gif

Not much at all. I can remember Elizabethe Holland of our staff getting "mooned" by Tony Banks in the locker room. I can remember defensive lineman Alberto White telling reporters they were only in the locker room to look at (male genitals). White was subsequently cut for making those remarks, thanks to a column written by Bernie Miklasz. But such examples are few and far between.
---------
Can't decide if I was more impressed by Brady's lack of rust, or more astounded at just how talentless the Cleveland franchise remains. Are they a mortal lock for 0-16?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhW6nSLSq6Y

I think Cleveland will scratch out a couple of wins.
---------
Maybe you'been over this before, but I'm wondering after Sunday's game how it is that Jeff Fisher could still be coaching the Rams? (And making, what, $7 mil a year?!) What is it that a franchise would see in him after all these years that he isn't even so much as sitting on a hot seat? I just don't get it. The NFL is the ultimate "what have you done for me lately?" league, but Fisher just rolls on from week to week to week to ...

Yes, we've been over this a couple three times. It is pretty astounding. And believe me, the rest of the league wonders about this as well.

giphy.gif

-----------
Where does the San Diego stadium situation stand? Any chance, any chance at all, that ownership there would at least take a look at St. Louis?

The big stadium financing vote comes in November. It isn't expected to pass. Then we'll see what happens. From all I can tell, Chargers ownership wants to stay in California and has no interest in moving to the Midwest.
---------
I didn't get to watch the Lambs Sunday. What happened? Dumb mistakes? Bad QB play? Porous D? All of the above?

Mxkev.gif

The Rams were missing 3 starting defensive linemen due to injury _ Quinn, Hayes, and Brockers _ and got gouged in the running game. On offense, they committed three turnovers including a pick 6 of a sideline pass thrown by Keenum. The Rams moved the football fairly well, but went 1 for 4 in the red zone. And Fisher's decision to try a fake punt deep in his own territory down by four points in the fourth quarter was a bad, bad call.

It looked like Gurley was headed for a 100-yard game _ he had something like 71 yards on 13 carries early in the third quarter. But he was stopped cold down the stretch _ with just 1 yard total on his last 8 carries.
-----------
I couldn't find the Rams on TV this week. Has the local media given up on televising their games? Some sales minded person at the local station should promote the heck of the Rams game and call it "Hate Watching" (quoting BenFred).

Game was not shown locally this week as Channel 4, which had the rights to the Rams-Bills game, decided to show Cincy-Dallas instead. This week's game in Detroit is scheduled to be shown by Channel 2. That'll make 4 of the first 6 Rams contests available on TV in St. Louis.
----------
What's the deal with Gurley's puny numbers? Is he hurt? O-line regressing? Opponents stacking the box to stop him because they know Keenum is awful?

Opponents are stacking the box, that's for sure. In general, the line isn't getting much push. The lack of a consistent threat in the passing game, particularly when it comes to downfield passing, is making it easier for defenses to compress the field _ in other words, play up closer to the line of scrimmage and aggressively defend the underneath passes. I'd like to see more stretch plays and outside plays called with Gurley. I'd also like to see the team use him more in the passing game. Don't think Gurley is hurt.
---------
4-1 seemed too good to be true.

giphy.gif

And it was.
--------
What a fiasco last week! I gave the Rams props for their impressive win the weekend before. But today, I gotta go back to beating the same drum I've beat for the last several years.....the offensive line sucks. If the line can't move anyone and get the running game going, how can the Rams expect to do anything?

Given the struggles they've had running the football, it's kind of amazing they've scored the points they have this season.
----------
Rams lack of depth showed over the weekend. Expecting that to continue, as no team has everybody healthy from this point forward. Any word on Johnson?

If it's a regular ankle sprain, it could be a week or two. If it's a high ankle sprain it could be two to four weeks.
---------
Sam Bradford is playing an efficient game. Not a lot of yards, but decent yards-per-attempt, and zero interceptions. The Vikings offense seems to be more diversified without AP in the backfield. But it seems to me the defense is the big story in their 5-0 record.

There's no doubt that defense is the big story in Minnesota, but Bradford rightfully deserves a lot of the credit. He's made some big throws, led some key drives, when he's had to. And has done so without some key players on offense.
---------
If you could pick two historic teams from different eras to play against each other, which would you pick? (For example: '85 Bears vs. '99 ST LOUIS Rams)

That would be a great matchup _ the dominating defense of the '85 Bears vs. the Great Show of the '99 Rams. Would love to see those '99 Rams against the Steel Curtain Steelers of the '70s. Or how about the Lombardi Packers against the rock 'em, sock 'em Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl title team. It's a fun game to play.
--------
I assume teams charters private plans for away games, is that on the NFLs or the teams dime. Did you travel with the team or you have to book your own fare. I imagine there would be some lively flights and some somber ones depending on results.

Teams charter their own planes, and it's at the team's expense. Only once in all my years of covering the Rams did I fly on the team charter, and that was for the London game in 2012. Like all beat writers of the visiting team, you're writing for several hours after the afternoon game concludes _ long after the team plane has taken off for home.
--------
Looking back on it 10 years ago we wondered why Linehan & Spagnoulo got head coaching jobs with STL. The fix was already in back then for the team to move and ownership needed losing seasons to reinforce their claim about "lack of support." I've never seen a winning organization in any sport not supported. Only the losers can make that claim.

latest

I do not think that Linehan and Spagnuolo were hired to lose football games. But I do think that the support in St. Louis was admirable considering the historically bad nature of the football for all those years.
--------
Jim what do you think needs to be done to get the offense working? New personnel, a couple of years.. Not going anywhere soon with the way it is.

For starters, strong quarterback play, and a true outside threat at wide receiver.

(Forgot to mention better O-line play which is the key to everything clicking. I'm hungry so here are some hot dogs).

hdt.gif

(And some Count Chocula).

martin-star.gif

----------
Assuming that Keenum continues as he has started the year, would it be fair to conclude that whenever Goff enters the starting lineup it signals the point at which the Rams have officially written off 2016 (barring injury to Keenum)? My belief is that a rookie backup QB will not get better in practice and that Goff entered the season significantly worse than Keenum.

Coaches regularly play the guys who they think give the team the best chance to win. If the losses start to pile up, and the offense continues to have trouble scoring points, a change will be made. I do think a young quarterback can improve by watching and learning. But in the end, there's no substitute for experience.
---------
How do you rate Keenum overall so far, and do you think Goff starts this season at all?

He has good leadership skills. Brings a lot of energy to the huddle. Decent accuracy. Average at best arm strength. I think he's played just well enough to keep the job so far.
---------
Though we know Fisher will never be fired, if it were to happen would a new coach give strong consideration to keeping Williams and his staff?

You mean retaining Gregg Williams and the defensive staff? Not sure on that. Head coaches all have their own circle of friends and acquaintances that they know in the business. And with rare exception they like to hire those guys.
-------
Jim you have covered the Rams long enough to know that Sunday's game was a Jeff Fisher Special. Win against teams you shouldnt win against and lose against teams you should beat. You can set your watch by it huh?

tmt.gif

Yep, we've seen that one before.
---------
Just trying to remember, what was Chip and Lucia's motivation for selling the team? Did they ever consider keeping it and hiring someone, like their mother did, to run it?

The estate taxes following their mother's death made it impossible for them to keep the team.
----------
Any chance Steadman Bailey makes it back into the league? He had the surest hands on the Rams.

It won't happen this year, but he has expressed that he'd like to get back in the league.But don't know at this point if he'd get medical clearance to do so.
---------
giphy.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great work as usual Prime!! Just Loooved the 'Wonder Woman Gif!!!(y)(y):shades:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So how did the Rams lose to Charlie Whitehurst and the Seahawks with the playoff spot at stake? Did Whitehurst play the only competent game of his career or were the Rams just flat out awful for that game?

I think Seattle won the game because of its dominant defense.
lol. They were 25th in the league in defensive points allowed that year.
The previous 3 games prior to ours, they allowed 40, 34, and 38. We scored 6.
The following 2 games they allowed 36 and 35.

Our offense just couldn't get it going, and there's plenty of reasons for that. A rookie Bradford, no run game, and this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTB6brVqoEU