Jim Thomas:Jackson to void final year of contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I hate this but it is inevitable. I just don't like thinking about SJ not being a Ram. I think I'll tune it out for awhile.
:snooze:

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
Not really a surprise here. I think everyone knew that Jackson was going to void the final year when he asked for that clause in his contract to be honored even though he didn't meet the requirements for it. I think he saw the youth movement happening here and just wanted to get in front of it so that he could be in control of his own future.

Honestly, I don't see him coming back. Too many teams with money that are one piece away from making noise in the playoffs.

Bronco's and Packers, both a good fit..good luck SJ
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nighttrain said:
X said:
Not really a surprise here. I think everyone knew that Jackson was going to void the final year when he asked for that clause in his contract to be honored even though he didn't meet the requirements for it. I think he saw the youth movement happening here and just wanted to get in front of it so that he could be in control of his own future.

Honestly, I don't see him coming back. Too many teams with money that are one piece away from making noise in the playoffs.

Bronco's and Packers, both a good fit..good luck SJ
train
Yeah.

If he makes me have to change the header of my board, then I'm going to be mildly inconvenienced.
That alone should make Jackson reconsider his future.

iced

my money is on the Bronco's... They have the most cap room.

Packers is next. But Bronco's are a more complete team then the packers

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
iced said:
my money is on the Bronco's... They have the most cap room.

Packers is next. But Bronco's are a more complete team then the packers

While I wouldn't mind if he goes to Denver, it just doesn't fit for 2 reasons:

a. They have Willis McGahee.

b. How much money do they really wanna spend now (after Manning) to win now?

As for the Packers, they aren't big spenders. And I really don't see his style fitting what they do up in GB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
moklerman said:
Not sure how happy I'd be about the Rams losing SJ, Gibson & Amendola. If only 1 of the 3 stays, I hope it's SJ.
I agree. Losing both(SJ & Danny) would be a bit of a failure. I actually have been a Gibson supporter but lets face it,Gibson doesn't provide a fraction of the leadership and talent that Jackson and Amendola bring.

IMO Jackson and (DE) Hayes should be priorities #1 and 2.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I really don't consider this news a setback.

So, the Rams and Jackson talked over the weekend and they agreed that Jackson would see what was available out there. There's still some loyalty between the two, and I wouldn't bet against Jackson giving the Rams the last shot at him.

Again, I don't believe money is the real issue for Jackson. Duration of contract; that's what he's most interested in, especially regarding the Rams.

Which doesn't mean some team isn't going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ram Quixote said:

So, the Rams and Jackson talked over the weekend and they agreed that Jackson would see what was available out there. There's still some loyalty between the two, and I wouldn't bet against Jackson giving the Rams the last shot at him.

Again, I don't believe money is the real issue for Jackson. Duration of contract; that's what he's most interested in, especially regarding the Rams.

I want to believe [that SJ will stay]!

The thought of the alternative just leaves a big empty hole in my stomach :(

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
interference said:
Ram Quixote said:

I want to believe [that SJ will stay]!

The thought of the alternative just leaves a big empty hole in my stomach :(
I can't say that SJ won't go over to the Dark side. But even Jackson would admit that being with the Rams when they win a SB in the next 2 years would be the perfect scenario.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
mojorizen7 said:
moklerman said:
Not sure how happy I'd be about the Rams losing SJ, Gibson & Amendola. If only 1 of the 3 stays, I hope it's SJ.
I agree. Losing both(SJ & Danny) would be a bit of a failure. I actually have been a Gibson supporter but lets face it,Gibson doesn't provide a fraction of the leadership and talent that Jackson and Amendola bring.

I'm with you and moklerman.

I'm not sure this article surprises me much... I mean there were really only 3 options; (1) he signs an extension w/STL prior to due date, (2) he voids his contract, (3) he gets cut. In other words; fulfilling the final year at $7M wasn't going to happen.

So, this feels like "part of the process" to me. And... by voiding... it means they couldn't agree to terms of extension and both agreed to let the market determine the perimeters of a possible extension in STL.

If I had to root for a non-Rams landing spot; Denver

But; I want him back! And... I still think it's very possible he is.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
mojorizen7 said:
moklerman said:

I'm with you and moklerman.

I'm not sure this article surprises me much... I mean there were really only 3 options; (1) he signs an extension w/STL prior to due date, (2) he voids his contract, (3) he gets cut. In other words; fulfilling the final year at $7M wasn't going to happen.

So, this feels like "part of the process" to me. And... by voiding... it means they couldn't agree to terms of extension and both agreed to let the market determine the perimeters of a possible extension in STL.

If I had to root for a non-Rams landing spot; Denver

But; I want him back! And... I still think it's very possible he is.
His agent probably thinks the market is bigger than it really is. Who is going to sign him to a 4 year deal? He'll get less than 3 years guaranteed. When that happens, the market sorts itself out, I think we will have a good shot of getting him back. I think that Steven wants to remain a Ram, bottom line.