Jim Thomas: Fisher & Snead's Rams Have to Start Winning

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas talks with 920AM’s Frank Cusumano. JT talks about that in year 3 of Snead/Fisher they have to start winning games. Jim talks about the penalty problem, both with the amount of penalties and the refs seeming to focus on the Rams. The penalty yard differential in Sunday’s game was the largest since the Rams came to St. Louis. Why are the Rams not getting any sacks and using so many 3 man fronts? The Rams have their work cut out for them over the next 8 games. The Rams haven’t been getting much production from the 2014 draft class.

Listen To Jim Thomas Interview

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'll say it again, even one less poorly timed penalty, and we win that game, and we are 2-1. How is that Fisher's fault, and even moreso, Snead's fault?

rdw

Pro Bowler
Don't you just love reporter arm-chair front office people? They can second-guess and criticize to their hearts content and never ever have to be held accountable for their short-sighted and sophomoric drivel?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think folks are way too critical of Fish man. I get it, it's his third season. However, folks need to remember he got screwed by the whole suspension of his initial DC hire that first year. And still won 7 games while overhauling the roster.

Second year that hire was on him with Walton. But to his credit he made the change and brought the right guy back, after another 7 win season while rebuilding the roster in the toughest division in the league.

People can nuke it all they want with their opinions, but the fact is GW is one of the best DCs in the league. And he is going to get this defense playing like a unit, and their ceiling will be much higher than what we've seen thus far in Fish's tenure. That, to me, is a relative certainty, it's a question of when. How long into this season will it take for them to come together?

The Rams are 1-2, the season isn't over yet. They took a huge shot losing Bradford, but there are signs of excellent coaching with respect to how well prepared Davis has been in two games with the snaps/preps. So it's not all bad, and when you consider Fish teams notoriously start slow?

That's right, the best may still be ahead this season. This team has hope, which is a hell of a lot more than we could say in so many previous seasons. I don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna enjoy the fact that we're not screwed just yet, and relish the hope I am feeling.

Took over the worst roster in history. Sam injured. Not Spags.

Did I miss any of the stereotypical excuses? Oh yeah schedule.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Honestly, I can't see fisher and co getting the boot but who knows?

All I will say is, this regime will be defined by what happens at the QB position. Next year is bloody criticle. We can't depend on Bradford as our guy any more, time to draft a QB in the first and all the rest OL to protect the hell out of him :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
First of all; I support this coach and regime. But I don't mind them catching a little heat. They are responsible to deliver RESULTS.

How is that Fisher's fault, and even moreso, Snead's fault?

1. The lack of production from the 2014 class. Was our 7-9 roster so strong that a 1st and 3rd rounder aren't needed as starters?
  2. It was their strategy to not draft a QB as insurance against Bradford injury. I happen to agree with their strategy, but I'm not the one paid to make decisions for the Rams.

So it's not all bad, and when you consider Fish teams notoriously start slow?

I'd actually add that to the list of why Fisher deserves heat. It's not okay to start slow. He has to get the team ready to play. If you switch out the DC and defensive scheme, even more the reason to ensure your team is prepared.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What matters is the end result of the season. Every coach has a stretch where they drop a game or two, if it's at the start of the season and the team gets hot and wins enough games I could care less.

I don't necessarily like Fish's tendency to start slow, but let me ask you this: if we had Bradford what would our record be? He looked better than I have ever seen him in the short looks, and I believe he was primed for a big season. IMO this team is 2-1 at least if he was healthy, discounting the effect of losing him on the team's psyche is not something I'll do.

It's a crappy deal man. But with Davis looking so good, who's to say this team can't still "arrive?" That's my point. I expect the defense to start clicking and when it does watch out. IMO.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
With Bradford we are likely 2-1 ....maybe. While it could be argued that he is a better QB than Davis (and likely is), it is also possible that having Davis out there was a benefit in that the Cowboys did not know what to expect. The usual trouble with facing a little known second or third string QB - you do not have a "book" on him yet (at least not a current one), you can only guess at what the OC will do or trust him to do. Sometimes the new guys does well because he is new. That said 2-1 is likely record with Bradford.

Philly5

Rookie
Tough luck with Bradford. Fisher has caused some of his own problems with the DC spot. If we can squeeze out a couple wins while showing we can play with the better teams he should be fine. The Defense better pick it up, because I think the Offense will not benefit from seeing lousy defenses for a while. It would really stink to start all over again with a new regime.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I think Williams tries to be too cute at times and would be better if he played things straight up once in a while. Rams and Whiners are two of the most penalized teams in the league. They both play hard nosed defense and that will get a lot of flags in the soft new league. I'm disappointed in the D at this point.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
  1. The lack of production from the 2014 class. Was our 7-9 roster so strong that a 1st and 3rd rounder aren't needed as starters?
  2. It was their strategy to not draft a QB as insurance against Bradford injury. I happen to agree with their strategy, but I'm not the one paid to make decisions for the Rams.

My point was just that if we were 2-1 right now, no one would be talking about this. One loss in the wrong direction and all of a sudden the heat is on.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
My point was just that if we were 2-1 right now, no one would be talking about this. One loss in the wrong direction and all of a sudden the heat is on.

i don't think its the two loses as much as how bad the teams we lost to are.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
i don't think its the two loses as much as how bad the teams we lost to are.

Not just that, but they way we lost both. One was a complete blow out - not even close. The other we allowed a historic comeback. If those games had been close back and forth matches fine, but both are just painful question raising type games.

Our one win is against one of the worst teams in the league - and we barely got by them.

It is going to lead to questions, excuses, and questioning of those excuses - that is just how it works...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Last week prior to the Dallas game everyone was saying the Offence better step-up, now it's the D better. they all need to step-up at the same time!!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Not just that, but they way we lost both. One was a complete blow out - not even close. The other we allowed a historic comeback. If those games had been close back and forth matches fine, but both are just painful question raising type games.

Our one win is against one of the worst teams in the league - and we barely got by them.

It is going to lead to questions, excuses, and questioning of those excuses - that is just how it works...
It's really hard to argue with that logic.

In that light, the only thing that one could say to spin the future of this season in a positive light is:

1) We really don't know yet who the best or the worst teams are this season, so schedule difficulty is really just a guess.

2) We tend to play to the level of our opponents.

3) Different opponents, regardless of their standings will offer different strengths or weaknesses that we potentially match up better against.

4) Our defense has not yet solidified under Greg Williams. I give that 6 games before I actually get worried, which is what I said before the season started.

Alan

Legend
Merlin with his glass half full:
I think folks are way too critical of Fish man.

The Rams are 1-2, the season isn't over yet.
I disagree with your perception that we're "way too critical" of Fisher. I haven't read all the threads but I think the criticism of him in the one's I have read is not knee jerk or overboard. I haven't read anyone say he should be fired or run out of town on a rail. I don't care who we're talking about, the fail that has been the Rams this season deserves/requires some discussion about what he and everyone else on the team is doing.

Love your positive attitude! (y) :)