Jim Thomas Chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a few days old, but I thought I'd put it up.

<a class="postlink" href="http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Thread.aspx?Id=85283&Page=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Thread.a ... 283&Page=0</a>

Can a 5 foot 8 175 lb WR be considered a #1 WR, I like Tavon Austin but he is tiny
by Greg in Raleigh February 26 at 3:13 PM

Well that's the main _ maybe the only question about Austin. It's pretty rare. But I think we'd all consider DeSean Jackson (5-10, 175) a No. 1 at Philly. Same with Percy Harvin (5-11, 184), and maybe even Wes Welker (5-9, 185) _ although in New England you could argue that Gronk is the No. 1. But I think you have to be creative and be careful how you use him.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:18 PM

Jim, the Rams look like they could end up extremely thin at the skill positions with Amendola, Gibson and Jackson being free agents. Is it a deep draft at the RB and WR positions this year?
by DB 21 February 26 at 3:18 PM

It looks like there will be plenty of options in the draft although I'm not going to say they're all going to be game-breakers. There are some possibilities at running back too, which I think I'm going to write about for tomorrow. I think the Rams have a pretty good start at running back with Pead, Richardson, and the "Sandwich-Maker" _ Ganaway.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:21 PM

Any traction to the Jake Long stuff Peter King mentioned?
by PAtl February 26 at 3:21 PM

I'm sorry. What did Peter say?
by jthomas February 26 at 3:21 PM

Does Tavon Austin's impressive combine make the decision to let Amendola walk easier?
by Matt Anaya February 26 at 3:22 PM

Don't know about that. For one, the Rams are working very hard on re-signing Amendola. For another, I'm wondering if Austin was so good at Indy that a team ahead of the Rams might even take him.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:23 PM

How many safeties does a team normally carry? Assuming Mickell is waived, are Stewart and Daniels the only 2 safeties on the roster?
by Greg in Raleigh February 26 at 3:23 PM

Teams usually keep four or five safeties. Stewart is a restricted free agent, and given the fact that he barely played last year, I'm doubting _ highly _ that the Rams would put even the low tender on him (which is about $1.3 million).
by jthomas February 26 at 3:26 PM

Assuming SJ39, Amendola, and Gibson are not brought back how much room does that free up under the salary cap?
by DEC16 February 26 at 3:26 PM

If Amendola and Gibson leave there is no cap savings because their contracts have expired. They're scheduled for unrestricted free agency. Jackson's departure would save $7 million.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:28 PM

could you see the Rams drafting the honeybadger?
by Ben February 26 at 3:29 PM

I guess it's possible, but I get the feeling the Rams won't take as many character risks this draft. But the Honey Badger probably is a speciality player. Returns and nickel backs. Awfully small. And I think at cornerback Fisher likes bigger players.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:31 PM

Any word on William Hayes and what it might cost to keep him? I'm worried a team like Dallas will throw starter money at him.
by PAtl February 26 at 3:31 PM

I don't have a good read on Hayes. He may want to test the market just to see what's out there.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:33 PM

Any clue about the OL plans this offseason? Is it safe to expect at least one new starter at either LG or RT?
by PAtl February 26 at 3:33 PM

I think it's better than 50-50 that there will be a new starter at both LG and RT.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:34 PM

Are you confident that this regime will be able to develop the talent at the back end of the roster (i.e 6th round pick develops into an pro bowl player)
by Ben February 26 at 3:34 PM

I don't know about Pro Bowl player. But the Rams certainly got good mileage out of seventh-rounder Daryl Richardson last year. His production dropped in part because of Jackson's increased workload over the second half of the season.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:35 PM

Jim, The Rams just drafted a LG last season that they seem to like in Rok and they already have H. Dahl at right gaurd. But I keep hearing about the Rams needs at guard and Tackle. Dahl played RT and did pretty well before. Do you see the Rams takig a RG and possibly moving Dahl to RT?
by STLFootball February 26 at 3:35 PM

Although the early offseason resuls are good on Watkins, the Rams have no guarantee at this point that Watkins will do the things necessary to became a starter and a conscientious pro in this league. He's unproven. The Rams are high on him, but all we're talking about at this time is potential.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:38 PM

Any news on Dahls surgery or recovery?
by Ben February 26 at 3:38 PM

Both Les Snead and Jeff Fisher talked about him briefly during their Combine media sessions Friday. In general terms, they said they said H. Dahl (and Scott Wells) were doing fun, but the Rams are in no hurry to get them on the field for the OTAs and even the start of training camp. With veterans it's all about being ready for opening day. So the return of both players is open-ended at this point, but there are no known setbacks at this point.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:41 PM

@Ben Could you also update Wells status?
by 4Rams4Life February 26 at 3:41 PM

See the answer on Dahl.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:41 PM

Anybody at the combine leave you thinking, 'Man I would love to see him on the Rams this coming year."
by Derek February 26 at 3:42 PM

Well, quite a few actually. Tavon Austin. Lane Johnson. D.J. Fluker. Melenik Watson come to mind.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:43 PM

Do you think giving Jackson the option to void his last year of his contract was a PR move? Do you think the Rams would have kept him at $7 million this year or released him before training camp? It looks better for him to void the contact, rather than being released?
by 4Stuff4Life February 26 at 3:45 PM

I think you're on to the heart of the entire situation. The Rams were not going to keep Jackson at $7 million in 2013. Not under their current salary cap situation. Hey, we all respect Jackson. And the Rams highly respect him. And this is meant with no disrespect to Jackson. But I don't think the Rams would feel comfortable having $7 million invested in a 30-year-old RB who has taken a lot of hits and had a ton of carries over the years.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:50 PM

In your opinion, what odds would you put at Jackson actually returning to the Rams?
by DEC16 February 26 at 3:50 PM

To me, nothing has changed. So I keep it at 50-50. For weeks I've been mentioning on this chat and mentioning in print that I thought Jackson would void the deal. Yesterday, I merely got confirmation that that indeed would be the case. If the market for Jackson isn't as strong as he and his agent expect, he could be back in St. Louis.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:53 PM

Jim, I say if Sheldon Richardson Drops tto us at 16 we take him what say you!?
by Dave Fan Since 1951 February 26 at 3:53 PM

Not sure he drops that far. But man, would that be tempting. I know it doesn't really address any needs, but it could potentially give the Rams an elite front for with him rotating in with Brockers and Langford.
by jthomas February 26 at 3:55 PM

Jim, The NFC West just 2 years ago was won with a 7-9 record. This past year the NFC West had two teams in the playoffs and they played well. Has any division ever had three playoff teams, one divisional winner and two wild cards?
by STLFootball February 26 at 3:59 PM

It has never happened in the NFC West, but it has happened several times elsewhere most recently 2011 when Baltimore won the AFC North, and Pittsburgh and Cincy got in as wild-cards.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:02 PM

Jim--the QB from Michigan, Robinson, is trying to impress teams as a WR. What do you think of him?
by Bopat from SoCal February 26 at 4:02 PM

I watched Denard Robinson at the Senior Bowl and he looked very raw, especially when it came to catching punts. But he ran well at the Combine, and I saw reports indicating that he caught the ball much better as a receiver. But not sure how much he could help a team right away.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:04 PM

Do you have an idea of when the two big name TE's (Eifert and Ertz) are supposed to go in the draft and if the Rams have expressed any interest?
by John February 26 at 4:05 PM

I think they're projected as late first, early second type of guys. I'm sure the Rams are looking at them, but I couldn't tell you the degree of interest.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:06 PM

jim do you know specific players who the rams have met with at the combine?
by nick February 26 at 4:07 PM

In one way or the other, the Rams will talk to everyone _ or nearly everyone _ at the Combine. But in terms of the formal "suite" visits _ and teams are allowed only 60 of these _ I know they met or had planned to meet with Melenik Watson, Sheldon Richardson, D.J. Fluker, and Lane Johnson.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:12 PM

Do you see them making any moves to get towards the top of the second round? I am really excited about those TE's!
by jbettisfan February 26 at 4:13 PM

We'll see. After last year, I wouldn't put anything past Fisher and Snead.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:13 PM

How do you see the Rams building this team? there has been some talk of going more up tempo letting Bradford throw the ball around, at the same time I get the impression Fisher would love to ground and pound. All things being equal or close to on an overall grade would they go, 335 pound mauler or 305 with pass pro feet, at offensive tackle? similar with Guard 310 athletic or 335 mauler?
by poster February 26

I still think at right tackle, and left guard, the Rams would like maulers. I see the Rams giving Bradford more responsibility at the line of scrimmage which perhaps could lead to more up-tempo. But at the same time I don't think they'll stray too far from the running game.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:16 PM

Do you think Tavon Austin is worth a first round pick for the Rams?
by pictrmpt February 26 at 4:16 PM

Absolutely. He'll be worth a first-round pick for somebody.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:16 PM

Jim--so the Rams are NOT interested in Manti Teo...or are they?
by Bopat from SoCal February 26 at 4:16 PM

I wouldn't think so, especially since he's an inside 'backer.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:17 PM

Do you see us double up again at a position? We draft 2 RBs, 2 CBs, and 2 WRs last year. Effectively, we triple doubled. Perhaps 2 S? 2 OL?
by PAtl February 26 at 4:17 PM

Maybe on the o-line. And maybe at wide receiver (if both Amendola and Gibson leave).
by jthomas February 26 at 4:17 PM

Hi Jim. Do you see the Rams going free agent or draft to fill S, OL, and RB? I know the discussion about the free agent WR's is that the elite will be too expensive.
by Ramitall February 26 at 4:17 PM

Depending on who's still standing once we get to free agency, I would rate them this way, with one being the most likely to go for in free agency and three being least likely: 1.) Safety; 2.) OL; 3.) running back.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:19 PM

Jim, I heard Austin Pettis has been promoted to # 2 QB, he must have really impressed Coach and Staff (not bad for an undrafted Rookie). Have you noticed his progress on the feild ?
by Zach February 26 at 4:19 PM

Obviously you need Austin Davis. Yes, he was very impressive in the preseason.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:19 PM

Hey Jim: What do you think of Barrett Jones??
by johnb February 26 at 4:20 PM

I think he's an NFL center. He didn't work out at the Combine because of that injury that bothered him in the BCS title game. I see him maybe as a third-rounder.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:21 PM

Is Dunbar under contract for next year? What other LBs are not under contract?
by arnezzi February 26 at 4:24 PM

Yes, Dunbar is under contract for 2013. Those NOT under contract and scheduled for unrestricted free agency: Rocky McIntosh, Mario Haggan. Justin Cole is a restricted free agency, and although nothing is official on him yet, I don't think he will receive a tender offer.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:29 PM

I know you cannot predict a surprise in the draft or FA (hence it is a surprise), but how would you complete this sentence: Don't be surprised if the Rams...
by The Amazing Kreskin February 26 at 4:29 PM

. . .take a cornerback in the top four rounds.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:29 PM

With the stadium issue having moved on to the next phase, do you sense any feelings by the Rams that they need to be better in a hurry to acccelerate the process for a new facility? Another lackluster season to me would increase the public skepticism.
by Mike February 26 at 4:30 PM

Oh, I'm sure at some level the Rams realize that making the playoffs will help them get the stadium situation taken care of, but I think their main focus is just making the playoffs after so many bad seasons.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:31 PM

Any chance the Rams fill one of their needs (OT, OG, WR, S) through Free Agency - and if so, do you have any clue what players / positions they're looking at?
by tc February 26 at 4:31 PM

Sure. Again, depending on who's there, I'd say safety.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:32 PM

Do you think sam is ready to be THE GUY in the locker room
by Ben February 26 at 4:32 PM

At least offensively, he will have to if Jackson leaves.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:32 PM

did you catch the parade for the rams on espn 8, the ocho?
by logano February 26 at 4:32 PM

I forgot to tape it!
by jthomas February 26 at 4:33 PM

Jim--are there any Rams that make St. Louis "home" during the off-season?
by Bopat from SoCal February 26 at 4:34 PM

Yes. Especially those who are married with children.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:34 PM

Given last year's production from Pead & Richardson, and their relative experience, do you think Coach Fisher and GM feel comfortable for an entire season. Seems similar to wide receiver position as well now. And, thank you!
by MJ February 26 at 4:35 PM

And don't forget about Ganaway. I still think they'll add another RB, but I could see a running back by committee approach if Jackson leaves.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:36 PM

How do you see the Missouri tigers draft class doing this year? Any chance the Rams will ever draft a Tiger?
by mad cowboy February 26 at 4:37 PM

Sheldon Richardson probably is a top 15 pick. Gooden maybe mid rounds. He sure ran and worked out well at Combine. T.J. Moe, late-round or undrafted free agent. Sure, the Rams will take a Mizzou Tiger. Maybe it's Richardson if he's there at 16.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:38 PM

What was the relationship like between Steven and the young running backs on the team.
by Ben February 26 at 4:39 PM

Very good. Jackson, as he's grown up and matured, is pure class.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:39 PM

Do you think whatever team drafts the tackle from Cahokia, Armstead, would consider using him as a swing tackle/tight end? You mentioned some clocked his 40 time at 3.65 which is the same as Jason Witten's.
by STLSkeptic February 26 at 4:39 PM

I wonder how he catches the football? I thought about maybe a tackle-eligible play with him _ not just with his 4.65 time but with his 34 1/2 vertical.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:41 PM

Do you know if they are bringing back chris williams? of all the Oline guys we picked up during last season I thought he had the strongest showing, both in the run game I do believe we broke the allowing a sack in every game streak when he was rotating in at RG
by Robert February 26 at 4:41 PM

He is scheduled for unrestricted free agency, and I've heard no talk of bringing him back. If they do it probably would be for the vets minimum.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:42 PM

Do you see a safety in this draft that will be available in the 2nd round that would have the ball hawking skills?
by Mike February 26 at 4:42 PM

Fresno State's Phillip Thomas
by jthomas February 26 at 4:46 PM

Jim--with Austin Davis being a "fan-favorite", does Slingin' Sam have anything to worry about?
by Bopat from SoCal February 26 at 4:46 PM

No
by jthomas February 26 at 4:46 PM

Jim,
do the rams see pettis as Amendola's replacement? if not, what do they think of tj Moe?
by stannramsfan February 26 at 4:46 PM

Pettis would be a logical choice. So could Tavon Austin. Don't know if Moe is even on Rams radar.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:47 PM

Only time I have talked to him was on a conference call with a few other reporters. Very energetic. Here's the link: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.stltoday.com</a>
by jthomas February 26 at 4:51 PM

Jim - assuming C. Patterson and T. Austin are availble at 16, do you have a sense which way the Rams would lean? I like the idea of both of them, personally.
by poster February 26

I think Austin.
by jthomas February 26 at 4:59 PM

If Chance Warmack, and Lane Johnson were both their at 16 which way do you think we should go,and Why! I like them both!!
by Dave Fan Since 1951 February 26 at 4:59 PM

Warmack may not get out of the top 5, and Johnson worked out so well at the Combine (combined with his Senior Bowl work) that he may not be there at 16 either. But if I had to pick one, I still think Warmack is the best prospect of the two.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:02 PM

To follow up - do you think Austin will even be there at 16?
by Dylan February 26 at 5:02 PM

I don't think that's a sure thing following his Combine work _ particularly is 40.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:03 PM

so you think austin better than patterson allen and williams?
by nick February 26 at 5:03 PM

Yes.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:04 PM

What are the chances they Rams go Fluker at 16; Cyprien at 22?
by Blindside Blitz February 26 at 5:04 PM

I think 22's pretty high for Cyprien.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:04 PM

forgetting draft position and need, who is the one player in this draft you would love too see in horn next year?
by Robert February 26 at 5:04 PM

I don't know if there is that one player this year.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:05 PM

who do you think the chiefs draft with their first pick?
by logano February 26 at 5:05 PM

If they're stuck with the pick _ Joeckel.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:05 PM

Any chance the Rams would trade up for Austin or someone else who they fall in love with?
by Dylan February 26 at 5:05 PM

I don't know if they feel like they're in a position yet to trade multiple draft picks for any one players.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:06 PM

Jim do you think cooper can move to ot with his smooth feet?
by Kevin February 26 at 5:08 PM

At only 6-2 1/2, I'd say no.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:08 PM

Jim, will the Rams pursue Dustin Keller? Seems like a logical fit.
by DAve B February 26 at 5:17 PM

That's one I've got my eye on.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:18 PM

Jim, Did you get a chance to look at Chris Long's younger brother at the combine? What round do you see him at?
by lipnoid February 26 at 5:18 PM

No, but I watched him practice and talked to him at the Senior Bowl. If he had more experience at the position I'd say second round. But realistically, I think thirid round is more likely. Here's link to story I wrote about him then: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.stltoday.com</a>
by jthomas February 26 at 5:23 PM

Jim, Do you feel this draft class is a little down?
by JTDelz February 26 at 5:24 PM

No. I think it's a pretty deep draft. Just no sizzle at the top in terms of skill players _ QB, WR, RB.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:24 PM

Alright on a serious note, are we going to consider our next year first rounders when thinking of whom to draft this year? Like are we going to split needs up between the 2 drafts?
by dbcouver February 26 at 5:25 PM

No. It's all about this year.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:25 PM

I feel DA needs to come back. Not many players try as hard and have the work ethic he has.
by JTDelz February 26 at 5:26 PM

The Rams are trying to make it happen on Amendola. But I think they'll only go so far, price wise. We all know what a healthy Amendola brings to a team.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:27 PM

Jim, word on the street is you are in a relationship with the NewsBot at ROD.
by CGI_Ram February 26 at 5:28 PM

Yes, I am well aware of that rumor. ROD rocks by the way.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:28 PM

Do you think Steven not coming back will be good for Bradford's development?
by Luter Banner III February 26 at 5:27 PM

Again, there's still a chance Jackson will be back. Nothing that's happened so far is unexpected.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:29 PM

Could Menelik Watson make it to pick 46?
by DAve B February 26 at 5:29 PM

That's a tough, tough call. Rams may have to take him at 22 or trade back a little bit.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:30 PM

Does the business side of football get to you like it does me? No longer can you expect to hold on to many players very long because of their pay demands. Its all about GREED.
by JTDelz February 26 at 5:30 PM

Yeah, I always tell people this isn't really the offseason, it's the business season. For many it is all about the money. But not all.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:31 PM

Who do you want the rams to draft
by Luke February 26 at 5:31 PM

I'm not going to name names, but good players who can help this team reach the playoffs. Don't you all think you deserve a playoff team.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:32 PM

does free agency last up until the draft
by wvdave February 26 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, free agency goes on forever. But most of the top f ree agents are gone in the first two weeks.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:33 PM

Jim, Thanks for the chats! Quick question about our DC position. The impression I got was that Rob Ryan decided that it wasn't a good fit here for him. So he backed out. Did he back out, hoping to grab the DC position with the Saints, thinking they were the better team than the Rams, or was that just coincidence? Were the Rams having second thoughts on Ryan too, or would he have been our DC if he hadn't backed out? Just curious. I like the Walton choice, BTW. Have a great day sir!!
by Jim S February 26 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, I think Ryan backed out. The Rams were ready to hire him. I'm not much on conspiracy theories but I do wonder if the New Orleans opening cause Ryan to switch gears. The chance to run a 3-4 and going to a team with a high-powered offense.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:35 PM

For combine player interviews, how much time does club get for each one and if you can say, who primarily conducts them?
by MJ February 26 at 5:36 PM

The 60 formal "suite" interviews last for 15 minutes. A horn blows w/2 minutes left _ yes a 2-minute warning! For the Rams, they usually have the GM, head coach, position coach, coordinator, area scout, college scouting director and assistant head coach in attendance.
by jthomas February 26 at 5:38 PM

Time to go, thanks for all the questions. As always, I try to get to as many of them as possible. See you all next week.
by jthomas February 26

bluecoconuts

Legend

That's awesome.

I also loved the Austin Pettis as Bradford's backup typo over Davis.

Good questions though, especially the CB in the first four rounds thing. You think they may try to convert someone to S if they do? Everyone's been saying for a year that Tru looks like he'd be a better S than CB, and I think he looked pretty good at Corner...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:

That's awesome.

Good questions though, especially the CB in the first four rounds thing. You think they may try to convert someone to S if they do? Everyone's been saying for a year that Tru looks like he'd be a better S than CB, and I think he looked pretty good at Corner...

Well, that was a test. I inserted that one in there to see who was paying attention! :lmao:

You win the prize!

bluecoconuts

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

That's awesome.

Well, that was a test. I inserted that one in there to see who was paying attention! :lmao:

You win the prize!

Sneaky bastard, I thought it was legit.
ph34r.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

That's awesome.

You win the prize!

Sneaky bastard, I thought it was legit.
ph34r.png

:dancin:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

That's awesome.

You win the prize!

Damn yer eyes.... I thought it was legit too. :twisted:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
bluecoconuts said:

That's awesome.

I'm happy to hear that they won't just settle with who they have, especially at a position like CB. IMO I think it's almost as important as having good depth on the OL. Plus they make good trade chips, still have a pick coming next year for Gordy I do believe...

Also: nice one sneaking in the JT joke. I had to do a double take there! :ww: