Jim Thomas Chat: 1/23/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Q&A covering Senior Bowl and draft questions is at the link below:

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/2015-senior-bowl.34636/page-5

The Q&A covering potential relocation and stadium issues is at the link below:

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/new-latest-on-kroenke-rams-and-nfl-in-stl.34352/page-45
Rams chat with Jim Thomas
1/23/15

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_74?Page=0

Jim, given that as a bicyclist I squeeze my tires once a week and can easily detect a 5% drop in pressure am I wrong to think that a guy paid millions to squeeze a football a thousand times a week who can't detect a 16% pressure drop is a bald faced liar?

Quarterbacks are particular about footballs. So yes, it's seems odd _ and not very believable _ that Brady knows nothing.
-------
Karras and Horning where both suspended a year for gambling, Payton and Williams a suspended year for Bountygate. Is cheating during game the same and should get a year off ?

This will be very interesting to see what the punishment is if the Pats are indeed found guilty in Deflategate. I can't give you a prediction. But let's remember _ the Patriots will be repeat offenders.
--------
Do you have any insight into what Coach Fisher is looking for in an OC?

We're not going to see someone come in and run a spread offense. I'm sure he's looking for someone who can balance the run and the pass as a starting point.
--------
I am so tired of hearing how any candidate for Rams OC needs to be someone who can “get Tavon Austin involved.” Maybe Tavon Austin isn’t good at WR, did that occur to anyone? Devin Hester is a HOF returner but has never been a great receiver. Nothing Austin has shown in two seasons suggests he is on the verge of being anything more than a solid returner and an offensive gimmick. Just because the Rams decided to move up and draft Austin #8 overall doesn’t mean his talents will translate at the NFL level.

Some very good points Tackleberry. Hard to argue with any of them.
--------
Hey Jim: what´s the most likely scenario for the Rams at QB for 2015?

Bradford is back. Rams draft a QB (before the sixth round). Either HIll or Austin is back.
---------
My question is about Green Bay denying the Rams from speaking with their QB
Coach about interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator job.

You wrote in your Rams Report article this Wednesday that, “Under NFL rules, the only instance where a team cannot deny permission is for a head-coaching job.”

My question is how can Green Bay deny the Rams permission to talk to their QB Coach? Would it be, because he has a contract with the Packers? And, could the NFL possibly do anything about this?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The Packers QB coach Alex Van Pelt, would not be interviewing for a head-coaching job in St. Louis, therefore the Packers are free to deny the Rams permission to talk to him. Which they did. And Van Pelt is under contract with Green Bay. That's why you have to ask permission. If I'm an assistant coach, I wouldn't be happy with the way the rule was structured. It used to be different. But the NFL would have to change the rule.
---------
Is there any real chance Mike Martz returns as a coach in the NFL?

I really doubt it. And it's a shame, because he's very talented.
--------
Do you think Barksdale will be back? I still remember him getting beat like a drum against Washington.

Yeah, and let's not forget about Kansas City and Mr. Houston. The Rams want to bring him back, but the price has to be right. It's certainly not going to happen if someone offers him $6 million a year.
---------
Will the Rams try and interview Chudzinski when his contracte expires next week? Seems kinda odd that Colts would deny the oppurtunity when his contract is up so soon.

It's obviously a delaying tactic by the Colts. Offensive coordinator jobs are getting filled almost on a daily basis, and there are only a few OC openings in the entire league. They're hoping that teams will get tired of waiting until after the Super Bowl to interview him, just like teams get tired of waiting for coaches on teams that actually are participating in the Super Bowl. If I were the Rams, and I liked Chudzinski that much, I'd wait.
---------
Of the following trade options, how would you rate the following in their likelihood as potential "challangers" for Sam Bradford next season: Jay Cutler, Chase Daniel, Robert Griffin, Kirt Cousins, Johnny Manziel?

Can I say none of the above? Maybe Cousins, but it would have to be cheap. With Cutler you inherit a huge contract, and a guy who could be nothing more than a modern day Jeff George. Manziel _ seems to make more headlines off the field. How dedicated is he to the game? RGIII, is he damaged goods, injury-wise? Can he win in the NFL if he's basically a pocket passer?

I'd have questions for him about his dedication to team and to the game. Daniel has thrown only 75 regular-season passes in 6 NFL seasons. Not much of a sample size. And I think you'd inherit a pretty big contract in a trade _ I think his base is something like $5 million in 2015.
--------
Do you think kenny britt is resigned? If so how much and would it stop the rams from drafting another wr?

I kind of have a good feeling on this one. Surely Britt _ and his agents _ have to no that this is a great spot for him. If he re-signs, I don't think the Rams necessarily draft a WR, particularly with their limited number of draft picks.
-------
Did you see the Colts run offense last year? What makes Chudzinski such a hot commodity given Fisher's fondness of running the ball and the fact we dont have Andrew Luck or TY Hilton on the roster

That's a good point. You do wonder if there will be a scheme fit. But I think Chud's teams at Carolina ran the ball pretty well.
-------
If Fisher brought in Martz, this city would explode and fans would fill the seats. It would almost be like a movie script.

All for it. Where do a sign up? But you know that's not going to happen. And I think Martz probably knows that.
--------
SJ39 a Hall of Famer?

Don't think so.
--------
Jim, your reply about trading for QB is why the Rams are still on the Bradford bandwagon, the fact is there is no one better out there, to replace him with.

It's always easy to say you need to replace player X, Y, and Z. The hard part is replacing that guy with someone that's at least as good. And yes, I do think some of that is at play here w/regard to Bradford.
---------
I was wanting to get your thoughts on the Rams chances of bringing Rob Chudzinski after his contract runs out next week? Mike Martz?

And, do you have info on the Bills Former OC Nathaniel Hackett? The only thing I read about him was Bernie saying he’s “heard good things about him”.

Martz, no. Chudzinski still possible. (But SF still in running and Chud may decide to stay in Indy.) Hackett young a pretty inexperienced. Came under his share of criticism last year in Buffalo. Some thought he was overmatched. Here's a link to my Senior Bowl/Rams notebook from today. The second item is about Hackett.
--------
Does the team keeps stats on Zeurlein misses on grass compared to turf. I think he is much worse on grass. Its like going to driving range, the mats are a little forgiving but if you chunk the dirt its game over.

Well he did kick 4 FGs on grass to beat Tampa Bay 19-17.
---------
If we stay in house for OC is it fair to say whoever gets the gig was clearly not in the top 3 of guys Fisher wanted? Otherwise they would have been hired by now.

Another way of looking at it is that Fisher really likes his in-house guys _ particularly Boras _ and is seeing if any of the outside guys can beat him out.
--------
as far as the OC goes , was it Schotty who did not like running the no huddle or is it Fisher? Seems to me to not mix it in every so often is missing an opportunity to catch teams by surprise. Especially if Sam is back under center.

Fisher, of course.
---------
When the Rams finally hire an OC can the new playbook ( if outside guy) go out the next day or do they have to wait for OTAs?

Well first off, I'd think the new OC certainly will meet with Fisher and the rest of the offensive staffers to collaborate on a new playbook. Which elements of the old playbook do they want to retain, how much of the new OC's, etc. I don't think they can hand legally them out until the offseason program starts in April (which is well before the start of OTAs).
--------
I am stunned by the world wide coverage of the Pats cheating, it's big news even down under. This is the biggest crisis for the NFL in over 50 years. I am in the Troy Aikeman corner, this is far more damaging then Bountygate, they didn't cheat. Jim do you see the post on the Rams chat regarding the lack of Pats fumbles during NE home games. It's stunning evidence that some type of cheating is deflation has been going on for 7-8 years.

If the NFL fails in proper justice, I see congress buzzing around like a swarm of bees. This is the Rubicon for the NFL. if there is a lack of justice. Congress needs to alter the entire NFL, take management of the League away from the NFL

Yeah, I think it led a lot of the national news _ and I underscore "news" _ shows last night. It certainly is a big deal in part because the Super Bowl is upon us and the Patriots obviously are playing in the Super Bowl. And as we know, the league hasn't exactly handled many of these "crisis" developments with great skill. Part of the Patriots way under Belichick seems to be bending the rules, and in some cases mangling them.
-------
difference between an underinflated ball and a corked bat? Cheating is cheating , issue is a fine means nothing to a billionaire. Didn't Asshole Face say he knew nothing about the bounties, he still got whacked for a year. Belichek needs to wear this

Belichick and Brady.
--------
Jim, did you see on the Rams talk about the lack of NE home game fumbles, the analysis of when the NE fumble rate changed was very interesting. It shows the Pats have done something to prevent fumbles and reduce fumbling historic low rate.

Haven't seen that, but someone mentioned it earlier on the chat. Very interesting though.
---------
Obviously Fisher is a defensive coach, which if fine. He has invested heavily in that defense and the second half of the season it really paid dividends. But why does a good defense have to be mutually exclusively with a weak offense? I understand that Fisher does not want a 50 second three-and-out but his “ball control” offensive philosophy isn’t working. If it was working this team could protect 21-point leads at home.

Well, to me the overall point is that for a team that likes to be physical and run the ball, the Rams haven't done a very good job of it under Fisher here in St. Louis.
--------
It seems the Rams need 2 or maybe 3 new bodies on the OL. Do you think the Rams will get 1 or 2 via free agents?

At least one would make sense. Then again, the Rams' luck on free-agent o-linemen hasn't been very good.
--------
How much of a team player do you think VanPelt will be after the Packers squashed his chance at becoming an OC. Isn't it like shooting yourself in the foot denying a person a chance at a promotion.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like the best way to build team morale on the coaching staff.
---------
Better chance of happening: a straight out renegotiation with Sam or a cut and re-sign for lower price?

If by straight out negotiation, you mean adding years to the contract, I don't see how the Rams would want to do that considering Bradford's injury history. To me a paycut in 2015 _ with built-in incentives for Bradford to get the lost money back if he stays healthy and plays well _ is the way to go.
--------
Hypothetically would you want one year of Bradford for the 2015 Rams or one year of Peyton Manning?

A year ago, I'd have said Manning in a heartbeat. This year, I think I might say Bradford. Manning looks done.
---------
If the Rams wanted an extra late round pick would Stacy draw any interest?

A seventh maybe.
--------
If healthy (yea if) how many QB's have better skills than SB?

I think Bradford has the potential to be in the top half of starting QBs, maybe in that 11 to 15 range.
--------
Do you think that with the time frame and coaches already hired, that Fisher will probably resort to hire from within?

Not necessarily.
--------
Jim, in light of the scandals with the Pats, do you think it help improve Mike Martz image ? Less of sour grapes and more I told you so.

Maybe a little.
--------
Any talk about how other coaches/scouts feel about the patriots cheating again?

There was plenty of small talk at the Senior Bowl about Deflategate, but no one was getting on a soap box one way or another.
---------
What would you put the odds at for the Rams RT in 2015 between Barksdale, Long or somebody else.

Hard to give odds on this one. Barksdale may be no more than 50-50 because it really doesn't look like the Rams are willing to overpay for him. If Barksdale goes, I think there's a good chance J. Long opens the 2015 season at RT. But with Long's injury, the Rams better have a backup plan.
---------
Any chance Mike Shanahan joins his friend as OC much like Williams did last year?

You know I've thought of that. I think it's a long shot at best. Mike Shanahan has an ego. Don't know if he sees himself as a coordinator any more.
-------
if chase daniel is released (i think kc has a couple cheaper backups) i think he would be a much better option than hill/austin. what are the chances that happens?

Again, the thing that concerns me with Daniel: 75 regular-season passes in six years.
-------
Warner and Pace in the HOF this year? Would be nice to see them go in together.

I think we'd all like to see that. I think Pace may have a better chance to be a first-ballot guy than Warner.
--------
Do you see Belichick making it to the hall of fame, or is his rep too damaged?

Still think he gets in the Hall. Maybe the writers "punish" him by not putting him in on the first ballot.
---------
if kurt warner enter to hall of fame will be as a ram or as cardinal

Unlike baseball, that's not how it works. In football they don't enter as a Ram or a Cardinal, they just enter as players.
---------
Do you think that does fisher knows that he isn't doing a good job at making this team a good "physical and run the ball" team?

Yeah, I think he does.
--------
what does the NFL do with all of the money from fines they impose?

Goes to charity.
--------
i can agree that the deflated footballs didn't have a great deal of impact on the outcome of the game. but, if the same team has taped a teams walkthrough prior to a super bowl, steals hand signals, and now deflates footballs, the question has to be asked..."what other means of cheating are they doing/have done that hasn't been discovered yet?"

You have succinctly stated the case for the prosecution.
--------
Hypothetically how would you handle deflate gate if Commish?

I need more info. But I'm thinking lost draft picks at a minimum. Possible suspensions for the coach and player. (And perhaps a heavier suspension for the 'Chick because he would be a repeat offender.)
---------
Given their record, would you vote Brady and/or Hoodie into the HOF? Wouldn't they fall into the PED era players of baseball?

Yeah, I'd have to vote them in. But I think I'd make them wait several years. Unlike baseball, I don't think there are any specific instructions to football voters about such matters (i.e. cheating, off-field issues, etc.)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Not a chance I would vote for either BelliCHEAT or Tom "Shady" Brady for the HOF.
Way too many question marks around their W's.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
It has to be at least 8 game suspensions for both Brady and Billicheat AND a loss of their 1st round pick. Otherwise it's nothing...... again.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some reporters said today that when they go to Gillette Stadium they are watched like hawks and security is radioing to each other their every move. That seems very suspicious in itself. Fook the Pats.