Jim Thomas: Can the Rams Stop DeMarco Murray?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
DeMarco Murray has terrorized the Rams in recent years. Will that change Sunday? The Post-Dispatch’s Jim Thomas and CineSport’s Brian Clark preview Sunday’s game with the Cowboys. (2:53)

Watch JT's Preview

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams searching for answers against run
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11891/rams-searching-for-answers-against-the-run

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Despite the lingering stench from the St. Louis Rams' Week 3 loss to the Dallas Cowboys last year, the team's run defense turned out to be much better than it showed after running back DeMarco Murray ran all over them.

By the end of the season, the Rams were ninth in the NFL in average rushing yards allowed per game (102.8) and third in the league in yards allowed per attempt (3.7).

With all 11 defensive starters returning this year and coordinator Gregg Williams taking over, that group figured only to improve against the run. Through two weeks, that hasn't been the case.

It's a small sample size, of course, but in games against Minnesota and Tampa Bay, the Rams have allowed 171 yards per game on the ground, which ranks 30th in the NFL. They're also coughing up 5.5 yards per carry, which also ranks 30th.

The reasons for the early regression are many, but the defense to this point has looked more like a group of individuals out to do it all more than handling individual responsibilities for the greater good.

"It’s just a lot of guys trying to make plays," Dunbar said. "We talked about it this past week. It wasn’t a scheme thing, it was just everybody taking their turn... we’re not fitting it right. Somebody took their turn here and there."

In other words, there have been many examples of players not playing sound assignment football and freelancing from play to play. As Dunbar points out, there isn't any single culprit and, in fact, the film shows that almost everyone on the defense has been guilty at some point.

Perhaps most surprising, the young secondary has actually been the most consistent group from down to down.

"I think really the front seven just has to play better," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "There’s no excuses. Missed tackles are no excuse. When we have the opportunity to go and trigger and make plays, we’ve got to make those plays. I like the way that the front seven has been humbled this week."

Missed run fits and blown assignments aren't the only issues. Through two weeks, Pro Football Focus counted 27 missed tackles for the Rams. They had 18 in the opener against Minnesota, meaning they improved some last week against the Bucs, but not enough to keep little-known back Bobby Rainey from gaining 144 yards on 22 carries.

Beyond the tackling, the Rams also found themselves put in some odd positions. Tampa Bay had great success running the ball on second down, many times on second-and-long plays when Williams would dial up a blitz or Rams defenders would be anticipating a pass and get a run instead. With the line and linebackers a bit frustrated by only making one sack through two weeks, that means anything resembling a passing down has left the front seven a bit undisciplined.

"I think there’s a fine line sometimes when you’re in certain coverages where you have to say, ‘OK, am I going to play for the run here or am I going to play for the pass here?’" Laurinaitis said. "If I play for the run, I’m not leveraging the pass. If I play for the pass, I’m not leveraging the run."

Any improvements or fixes the Rams have attempted this week will be put to their biggest test. After finishing 29th in rush attempts last year, Dallas has the look of an NFC West team with its physical and committed approach to running the ball.

The Cowboys have the fourth-most rushing attempts in the league heading into Sunday and are second in the league in rushing yards per game. Murray is off to his career-best start and has rushed for 428 yards on 51 carries in two previous meetings with the Rams.

For the Rams to have any chance at beating Dallas, they're going to have to sell out to stop the run first and sort everything else out afterward. Until it gets solved, that has to be the plan.

"We have just got to get in sync with it, and I’m confident we will," Laurinaitis said. "But that stuff definitely deserves to be talked about until we put the fire out. You can’t sit there, and if you told me before the year we’d have 170 yards averaged against us, I’d be like, ‘Get out of here.’ But that’s where we are right now. I think guys have really swallowed their pride and like, ‘Hey, we need to work at this; let’s go out and work at it.’ No excuses."

RamWoodie

Legend
We'll know Sunday! We ALL expected more from the Dline than we've seen...and I believe they expected more of themselves. They need to be on point Sunday.

Let's not lose perspective though. Murray is a very good back to hold him to 100 yards or less would be a very good job!

209RamsFan

I don't care if he rushes for 200 again...as long as we get SCOREboard

DeaconJ

Rookie
The Rams WILL stop DM......just like they stopped Peterson. They have the tape on this dude. Failing in that, the DC needs to go down the road, which won't happen. Lost season.....

RamzFanz

Damnit
If JL and the Tree get off blocks and plug holes, they will contain DM. If the penalties don't kill drives, Rams will score big. We need both.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams’ run defense to be tested
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e4999a29-c9ba-5b3e-9c66-da20fc9721d8.html

Linebacker James Laurinaitis isn’t the type of person who lives in a state of delusion or denial when it comes to dissecting Rams football. He calls it as he sees it, and like his teammates and his coaching staff, he’s disturbed by what he’s seen the past two Sundays on run defense.

“If you had told me before the year we were gonna look up there and see 170 yards averaged against us, I’d be like, ‘Get out of here,’” he said. “But that’s where we are right now.”

To be precise, it’s 171 rushing yards allowed per game in this 1-1 season. That ranks 30th in the league, a shocking place to be considering the Rams have a front seven stocked with first-round players and a widely heralded front four.

“It most definitely deserves to be talked about until we put the fire out,” said Laurinaitis, one of the team captains. “You can’t just sit there. I think guys have really swallowed their pride and said, ‘Hey, we need to work at this. Let’s go out and work at it.’

“No excuses, and I think it’s a sign of maturity.”

That’s what made it a rather subdued “Victory Monday” at Rams Park. Sure, the players were happy about scratching out a 19-17 triumph over Tampa Bay for the franchise’s first win in a road opener since 2001.

But those who earn their living on the defensive side of the ball weren’t pleased with yielding 144 yards, and 6.5 yards a carry, to unheralded Buccaneers running back Bobby Rainey. You know, the same Bobby Rainey who was held to 43 yards rushing and fumbled twice Thursday nightin Atlanta.

“During the game, you don’t feel like he’s killing you running the ball,” linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar said. “But once you look up and he has 100-something rushing yards, you see he was doing something right.”

And the defense was doing something wrong. That game came on the heels of an opening-day performance against Minnesota in which the Rams held the great Adrian Peterson in check, but couldn’t contain wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson, who had 102 yards rushing and a touchdown on just three carries.

“Quite frankly, I think the front seven just has to play better,” Laurinaitis said. “There’s no excuse.”

Missed tackles are no excuse. Not lining up correctly is no excuse. Missing a gap or a run-fit is no excuse.

“When we’ve got the opportunity to go and trigger and make plays, we’ve got to make those plays,” Laurinaitis said. “I really don’t like the way the front seven has been humbled, really, this week.”

The man who has humbled the Rams more than any other running back in recent seasons — DeMarco Murray — is set to be in town with the Dallas Cowboys for Sunday’s noon kickoff at Edward Jones Dome.

Murray has played like Superman the past two contests against the Rams— with a franchise record 253 rushing yards in 2011 (pre-Jeff Fisher) followed by 175 yards last season. The Rams are still searching for the Kryptonite to slow him down.

“We’ve got our work cut out for us this week,” Fisher said. “Because it seemed like yesterday that mess happened in Dallas last year.”

The Rams must play significantly better to prevent “that mess” from reoccurring Sunday.

What makes Murray so successful?

“Well, they’ll have an inside trap called in the A-gap, and he’ll bounce it outside and just take it down the sideline,” Fisher said. “Those are the kind of things that are hard. So you read and react and everything, and he’s not there. He’s someplace else.”

In layman’s terms, please ...

“He can break the ball out any place,” Fisher said. “He’s a good cutback runner. He’s got great vision.”

Defenses frequently underestimate Murray’s speed getting to the perimeter. And he’s surprisingly physical for a medium-sized back (6 feet, 217 pounds). He will break tackles, especially beyond the defensive line .

And he’s running behind an offensive line that is better than any the Rams have faced. Last week against the Tennessee Titans, it added up to 220 yards rushing, including 167 by Murray, and more than 41 minutes of ball control.

“They put the (Tennessee) game on their shoulders, and they were able to exert their will on the other team,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “We’re going to have to do a good job and match that will, match that line-of-scrimmage intensity.”

The fact that Murray gained 118 yards in the opener against San Francisco also got the Rams’ attention. That just doesn’t happen often against the 49ers — Murray was the first to hit 100 yards against the 49ers in 18 games.

But even if it wasn’t Murray on Sunday’s agenda, the Rams’ porous run defense is cause for concern.

“That’s something that you always want to handle Day 1,” Dunbar said. “You come into training camp, and you can’t allow a team to run on you.

“Once they run at you, (then) they throw at you, and you’re just at their mercy. That’s something we talked about early in training camp, and we haven’t gotten fixed. We need to get it fixed.”

There are a lot of factors involved in getting it fixed. It starts with being in the right place, which means gap integrity. Being strong at the point of attack means shedding blocks and being able to hold the perimeter and force plays inside, toward the pursuit.

Laurinaitis pointed out that there is a fine line on some coverages in which defenders must decide if they’re going to play for the run or play for the pass. Williams noted that a couple of penalties on third down kept the defense on the field and gave Tampa Bay a fresh set of downs and more opportunities to run the football. And of course, there are missed tackles — too many missed tackles through two games.

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers said there have been too many times when individual players have tried to be the hero and make the play, straying from the scheme and opening a hole or a cutback lane that shouldn’t be there.

“You’ve got to work within the scheme,” he said. “Everybody has to play their part, be in their gap and everybody has to be accountable. We’ve gotta get back down to the basics of playing our technique and getting everybody to the ball.”

Mr. Murray is waiting, and hoping that’s not the case Sunday.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
"But those who earn their living on the defensive side of the ball weren’t pleased with yielding 144 yards, and 6.5 yards a carry, to unheralded Buccaneers running back Bobby Rainey. You know, the same Bobby Rainey who was held to 43 yards rushing and fumbled twice Thursday night in Atlanta."

See this is the type of writing that just makes you think the guy doesn't know the sport, down 21 in the first quarter ,35 at the half, you aint gonna run the ball to get back in that game.
Here's what Rainey did to Atlanta last year- 30 carries 163 yards
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=331117027
He's pretty good and I'd say he was a focus of their game plan,but womb I ?

Can we stop Murray, yes,other questions are,can they stop our run game ? and if we stop Murray will Romo kill us with PA?
We have our work cut out for us , but we have the horses they need to execute

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I have my doubts...Enabling Ewe and I are going to a Cowboy Watching Party...We will probably be the only Rams fans there... Wish us well, while we plunge deep into enemy territory....On to Mordor!!! Throw the Ring away Ewe, into the mouth of the Volcano!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Watch out for that whole Brokeback Mountain thing!