Jim McMahon: I know Belichick is a liar, probably a cheater too

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...w-belichick-is-a-liar-probably-a-cheater-too/

Jim McMahon: I know Belichick is a liar, probably a cheater too
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 21, 2015

610x-43-e1342531494346.jpg
Reuters

Add longtime NFL quarterback Jim McMahon to the list of people who say you can’t trust Bill Belichick.

McMahon, who spent part of training camp and the preseason with the Browns in 1995 when Belichick was Cleveland’s coach, says that Belichick lied to him about the Browns’ intentions with him. McMahon says he moved his family to Cleveland because Belichick promised him that he’d have a spot on the Browns’ roster, but as it turned out McMahon lasted only three weeks in Cleveland.

“I was with Bill in Cleveland in ’95. He lied to me right to my face so I never trusted him after that. So all this stuff that happened, I’m sure he was right in the middle of it,” McMahon said on the Dan Patrick Show.

In fairness to Belichick, it’s possible that when he told McMahon that he’d be on the Browns’ regular-season roster, he meant it. Belichick said publicly after cutting McMahon in August of 1995 that he might re-sign McMahon days later, depending on how things worked out with some injured players on the Browns’ roster. And by that point, McMahon was a 13-year veteran who should have known that if you want a guaranteed payday in the NFL, you’d better have a guarantee in your contract, and not just take your coach’s word for it.

Still, McMahon said Belichick can’t be trusted, and McMahon believes that Belichick was probably involved in Deflategate.

“I know he’s a liar, so cheating ain’t far behind, I don’t think,” he said.

Despite McMahon’s hard feelings, things turned out OK for him. Later in 1995 he signed with Green Bay, where he earned a Super Bowl ring as Brett Favre’s backup. Belichick, on the other hand, got fired at the end of the season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't necessarily call Belichick a liar for cutting McMahon after he realized how bad he was. Sometimes a promise like that comes with an obvious caveat that you are more than an oversized towel boy.

All that aside I think he's right. Belichick is a liar and a cheater too.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
When it's all over, we're going to hear a lot more stuff like this from other players and execs. No one can operate like Belichick and get away with it forever. The Patriots' legacy is toast.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I didn't like McMahon when he played and I don't like him now...He is/was a brash asshole who was a mediocre (at best) player who happened to be in the right place at the right time, IMO...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
LOL

I hope kraft and b-cheat are really pissed about this. They may act like they don't care when they read or hear about Jim-Boy's comments... but you know it has to burn their asses!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There will never be an official asterisk next to the Patriots, Belichek's or Brady's legacy. The NFL can't afford that. But in the minds of fans around the world, there will always be a cheating stigma attached to them. As long as Belichek and Brady are involved in the organization, you can't help but look at any success and think "Yeah, but..."

paceram

Pro Bowler
While I was never a Jim McMahon fan and never thought he was a great NFL QB, I did think that he was a decent QB with very good leadership qualities and fit that Bears "Bad Boy Attitude" Team very, very well!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
A ok QB who was just expected to manage the game and not make mistakes. Relying on a stellar defense. I hesitate to criticize that, considering it's basically our plan too.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
The NFL would never admit they knew the Pats were cheating it would come with enormous backlash.It would be nice though to at least be recognized as Super Bowl champs after being cheated out if it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The NFL would never admit they knew the Pats were cheating it would come with enormous backlash.It would be nice though to at least be recognized as Super Bowl champs after being cheated out if it.
Well, what if the NFL was complicit in that SB victory? If not the NFL, then who got to Bernie Kukar?

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Yeah, Belichick is what he is, but at least he never blew his nose on a media member. Too bad we can't say the same for Jim.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, what if the NFL was complicit in that SB victory? If not the NFL, then who got to Bernie Kukar?

Right after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. An underdog team named "Patriots". An American game watched by millions around the world. The country needed a feel good success story after what happened. What better than the underdogs beating a prohibitive favorite? Kinda makes you wonder. Then again, maybe they just cheated without anyone else's knowledge outside of the team? Maybe Kukar was just another bumbling ref among many?

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I loathe Belichick for his lower than dogshit ethics, personal and professional. My deepest wish would be his induction into the Hall of Fame is at least delayed- by decades- or not happen at all. He's the Pete Rose of pro football.

There. I said it.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I enjoyed watching A Football Life- '95 Cleveland Browns. From this fan's view, Bilichick seems like a guy that worked his way from the bottom to the top. He put in those insane hours, yet with all that knowledge I'll always 'think', why do you have to still find a cheating edge.