Jim Harbaugh, San Francisco 49ers mutually part ways

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Well at least I don't have to put Harbaugh on my hate list anymore. It was amusing to watch his antics, especially in Stanford.

jjab360

Legend
Ultimately, this will hurt the 49ers more than anything else. Harbaugh is a good coach, no matter how douchey he is.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
They should have kept the coach and fired the QB.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think either way the 49ers were in a downward spiral. Harbaugh isa good coach, but it is clear he knew the teams window was closing. He and the GM had failed to prepare for the future and I think he knew that he had planned on winning now. Since that isn't happening and ownership wasn't going to give hima huge long term contract (enough to get through a rebuild) he was smart enough to leave. I don't envy whomever comes in to rebuild, they have been let witha old team with overpaid players and big ? at QB.

As a Rams fan I am happy for this situation though :)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think it's the same at all. But if it sends the 49ers into a tailspin I'll be willing to lie to you and say you're right. ;):ROFLMAO:

Oh I think it is very similar. Zygmunt did not like Martz and Balke does not like Harbaugh. Both GMs had serious problems trying to work with the coach. Ownership sided with the GM. How is it so different?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Most overrated person in the NFL right now. Yes everyone agrees he's a jackass but his "winning" is such a facade. "He" didn't win, his team did. Just like "his" Stanford team didn't win without Andrew Luck. The 49ers didn't have Andrew, but they had the most Luck over a three-year period perhaps in NFL history -- see the retarded turnover differentials during his tenure (+28, +9, +12, +7), who couldn't win with basically getting spotted one free turnover per game? And when the slightest bad luck finally happened -- Krapperdouche fumbling away their season on the goal line for the Rams delicious win -- Harbaugh couldn't deal with any tiny adversity.

He will not win anything substantial at Michigan. He will basically do exactly what Jim Moron, Jr. is doing at UCLA -- great recruiting because of his overrated name, but then lose any meaningful game because when it comes down to it finally he's a bad coach.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't think the 49ers are doomed, but I do think this is the beginning of the end for Kaepernick in San Francisco. I can see him latching on with a lesser team and fading away over the next 3-4 years.

He's not going to handle that well.

Should make for good TV!

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
According to Albert Breer on Twitter, it's a done deal - Harbaugh to Michigan.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Damn it was so fun hating on him. Now who can we target on the 49ers?
Easy answer is whoever's their next coach! McDaniel's would be good as his offense would be hard for them to execute with their personnel!

fearsomefour

Legend
This is as ridiculous as the Mike Martz departure by way of Zygmunt. We know where that got the Rams. I hope it is the same deal for the 49ers.
Exactly. When owners realize that coaches are more important to their teams success than GMs they will be ahead. But, usually, the owner hires the GM and the GM is very involved in hiring a coach. It is much easier for an ego centered owner to admit his GM made a mistake and fire the coach than admit he made a mistake and fire the GM.
Either way, I hope they bring back Dennis Erickson.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
People seem to forget that it was Harbaugh that wanted Krap. He then ran a better qb out of town.
His arrogant bs caught up to him.

Harbaugh is a good coach. Not a great coach.
With or without Harbaugh, the whiners are clearly trending down. Many of us here already predicted the downturn before this season.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This is what idiot teams do, they finally find somebody to pull them out of the mire of mediocrity and they can him after a few bad seasons? Oh well, with their track records it's back to mediocrity, which is fine by me.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Exactly. When owners realize that coaches are more important to their teams success than GMs they will be ahead. But, usually, the owner hires the GM and the GM is very involved in hiring a coach. It is much easier for an ego centered owner to admit his GM made a mistake and fire the coach than admit he made a mistake and fire the GM.
Either way, I hope they bring back Dennis Erickson.

Gatta disagree with this. I think in mnay ways the GM is much more important in the era of salary cap. many times we have seen in this league where a coach gets toatl power an it goes VERY bad. Coaches tend to fall in love with players (become more invested in them personnally) and make bad decisions on what valuea player has. The GM in theory is removed from that and hasa more long term view for the team and organization and should be be more level headed.

It doesn't always work that way (ther are exceptions to any rule). But I think a GM is often more important to the team than the coach - long term.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Anything that hurts the 49ers I'm good with!!
28gz8lz.jpg
125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Gatta disagree with this. I think in mnay ways the GM is much more important in the era of salary cap. many times we have seen in this league where a coach gets toatl power an it goes VERY bad. Coaches tend to fall in love with players (become more invested in them personnally) and make bad decisions on what valuea player has. The GM in theory is removed from that and hasa more long term view for the team and organization and should be be more level headed.

It doesn't always work that way (ther are exceptions to any rule). But I think a GM is often more important to the team than the coach - long term.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you really. I was talking more about actually winning games. If the GM has a bad cap guy bad draft guys or is reckless it may not matter who the coach is.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Krappernick still confused and sad

Attachments

• IMG_80651639037797.jpeg
    IMG_80651639037797.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 139

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Think the 49ers are getting rid of the wrong guy - not that I am unhappy about it or anything :LOL: