Jim Harbaugh expects a “breakout year” from Colin Kaepernick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Jim Harbaugh expects a “breakout year” from Colin Kaepernick
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 29, 2014

Colin Kaepernick clearly has some holes in his game, but he’s already pretty good.

But 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh expects his quarterback to take another step this season, which would set him up for well more than $6 million.

I really expect a real breakout year for Colin,” Harbaugh said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “Athletically, he looks bionic. If you all remember the ‘Six Million Dollar Man,’ that’s what he looks like to me.

“He’s very gifted and he always has been. He has the look and feel of a guy who’s really going to break out – even more so than he already has. I’m really excited about everything about his game right now.”

Kaepernick has been efficient enough in the passing game to make his running skills (and those of Frank Gore) more valuable, but the 49ers have made a concerted effort to surround him with more targets this offseason.

With Michael Crabtree healthy again and Stevie Johnson added to the mix with Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis and Brandon Lloyd and some young players, there’s a chance they might actually be able to diversify their offense this year.

“It’s something that coach has mentioned to me that you need to be able to do what we do within our system,” Kaepernick said. “And as long as my footwork is good and I’m delivering the ball quickly and precisely, he’s happy with what I’m doing.”

If he can improve as a passer, the decision to give him the massive contract he’s in line for will be easier to justify, even though $6 million might only buy them about five games’ worth.

'Bionic' Kaepernick might be armed for breakout passing season

SANTA CLARA -- Some might view it as an insult for an NFL coach to suggest his quarterback, who enters the final year of his contract, is merely a Six Million Dollar Man.

But while the coach gave 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick lavish praise on Wednesday, it should be noted that Jim Harbaugh’s description did not factor in 40 years of inflation. Still, there is an expectation that Kaepernick can be better . . . stronger . . . faster.

“I really expect a real breakout year for Colin,” Harbaugh said after the second day of organized team activities. “Athletically, he looks bionic. If you all remember the ‘Six Million Dollar Man,’ that’s what he looks like to me.

“He’s very gifted and he always has been. He has the look and feel of a guy who’s really going to break out -- even more so than he already has. I’m really excited about everything about his game right now.”

An argument could be made that Kaepernick did not enjoy a “breakout” season in his first full season as the starter because of focus of the 49ers’ offense continued to be Frank Gore and the power-running game.

After all, Kaepernick ranked eighth in the NFL with an average gain of 7.69 yards per pass attempt. Yet, he was 22nd in passes attempted. His passer rating of 91.6 was 10th-best in the NFL. He also gained 524 yards rushing during the regular season and led the 49ers in rushing with 243 yards in the postseason.

Through most of last season, Kaepernick -- and offensive coordinator Greg Roman -- did not have many options in the passing game. Anquan Boldin and Vernon Davis were the lone threats until Michael Crabtree returned late in the season from Achilles surgery.

During the offseason, the 49ers have shown to be vastly improved at wide receiver. The 49ers acquired Stevie Johnson in a trade from the Buffalo Bills to join Boldin and Crabtree. Veteran Brandon Lloyd returns from a year off to compete for a job. And youngsters Quinton Patton and Bruce Ellington are battling to get into the mix, too.

The 49ers appear to have the ability to place more emphasis on the passing game with more usage of three-receiver formations on early downs.

“That’ll be something that the coaches will have to decide,” Kaepernick said. “But I think it’s a position we’re definitely stronger at this year. And I think we have a lot of weapons at that position that we can use in a lot of different situations.”

Kaepernick said he did not work with a quarterback mechanics coach in the offseason, but he knew exactly what he had to do to improve his game during the time he went to Miami to train. The 49ers certainly do not need to rebuild him.

“It’s something that coach has mentioned to me that you need to be able to do what we do within our system,” Kaepernick said. “And as long as my footwork is good and I’m delivering the ball quickly and precisely, he’s happy with what I’m doing.”

Harbaugh, general manager Trent Baalke and CEO Jed York each spoke at the NFL owners meetings in May about the desire to deliver a long-term contract to Harbaugh before the start of training camp in late-July.

The time might be right if, as Harbaugh suggested, Kaepernick is ready for a big season. Instead of Six Million Dollar figure based on the mid-1970s TV series, Kaepernick is ultimately expected to land a deal in the $20 million annual range. But contract negotiations are not something he said that concerns him.

“I’m letting my agents handle all of that, and I’m worried about being out here, trying to get better with my teammates and get ready for the season,” Kaepernick said.

“I’m playing football regardless.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I expect him to have a breakout year too.

He will break the law, be incarcerated, and then 'Breakout' of jail and go on the lam.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Six Million Dollar Man?
That's pretty affordable nowadays for starting QB.

For starters, Bionic men today would go for around $28,852,576 if you calculate the inflation
what a bargain.....

I'm sure about the break part, but that's more the Doomsday Device (that's what I'm calling our line even if no one else is) breaking him in half.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
With Gregg Williams confusing the hell out of him with coverages and our D-line, I expect Kaepernick to put up the same terrible stats that he does everytime he soils himself against the Seahawks.

Overrated QB.

Wilson on the other hand...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fuck Harblah.

He clearly doesn't remember what the Six Million Dollar Man looked like either. Lee Majors is the actor who played the 6 million dollar man as I recall... and he looked nothing like what comes out after a muppet mates with an earthworm.

Idiot

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
With Gregg Williams confusing the hell out of him with coverages and our D-line, I expect Kaepernick to put up the same terrible stats that he does everytime he soils himself against the Seahawks.

Overrated QB.

Is also an overrated QB.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Pay the man, SF! Guarantee him $20M a year.

V3

Hall of Fame

Overrated QB.

I think Wilson is overrated when he's between the tackles. His prowess comes through extending plays with his feet and the long ball. If you keep him contained, he's mediocre, IMO. I have a feeling it has to do with his height. He misses reads because he doesn't see them behind the line. Once he gets outside, though, he sees everything and doesn't miss much.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Has kraperdink learned to read past his first option yet? No? Ok then...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Overrated QB.

Agree. Russell and Krap are far apart in terms of actual QB skills IMO.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I can't wait for his $120MM contract...and then: oooops, he isn't getting better at reading coverages...we made a mistake.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I have to push the 'homer' button on anyone who doesn't see that Wilson is a legitimately good QB.

It's OK to admit he's good. Doesn't mean we can't beat him.

ED_29

I certainly hope not. Like the Rams and Hawks the 49ers struggled at WR last year. Injuries to Crabtree and Davis and with only the slow but dependable Boldin teams put 8 in the box and dared Kap to beat them. Kap's 2nd year performance created some doubt about his ability to obtain immediate stardom ...passing the ball anyhow.

We are going to have to see how this plays out. However, adding Johnson with a healthy Crabtree, Davis and Boldin is not a good thing for the rest of the division although they certainly could use a burner for sure

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I have to push the 'homer' button on anyone who doesn't see that Wilson is a legitimately good QB.

It's OK to admit he's good. Doesn't mean we can't beat him.
I never said he wasn't "good" but I stand by my contention that he is overrated.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Give Kaepernick Bradford's legs and Krap becomes crap immediately. He wouldn't be starting QB material anywhere in the NFL.
I'm not saying he can't improve because he very well could under Harbaugh, but i just don't believe he's very good.