Jim Fassel on what it takes to get into the playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Earlier in the interview he spoke about penalties, since I'm sure that's gonna come up, and he said it's like 6th of 7th down the list on things that determine wins or losses. But he did say that the *timeliness* of some of those penalties can cost you a game. In the end though, he's pretty convinced that TO ratio is the determining factor between success and failure.

Here's the interview, and I queued it up where the penalty discussion begins.
LINK

Alan

Legend
I can't disagree that talent and turnovers are number one and number two. Both can overcome penalties that's for sure.

iced

Earlier in the interview he spoke about penalties, since I'm sure that's gonna come up, and he said it's like 6th of 7th down the list on things that determine wins or losses. But he did say that the *timeliness* of some of those penalties can cost you a game. In the end though, he's pretty convinced that TO ratio is the determining factor between success and failure.

LINK

Think Eagles' defense would be a great example of that last year..

Swiss Cheese defense, but they got turnovers... lots of them, and scored on ST quite a bit too

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Think Eagles' defense would be a great example of that last year..

Swiss Cheese defense, but they got turnovers... lots of them, and scored on ST quite a bit too
Yeah, but they still finished -8 in TO ratio and missed the playoffs.
Maybe if they didn't give quite as many away, they would have snuck in.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, Foles set the NFL record for best TO ratio ever in a season, so I'm hanging my hat on that. If he's HALF that good, we'll own the TO ratio.

Mason has had 2 fumbles in 179 attempts.

iced

Yeah, but they still finished -8 in TO ratio and missed the playoffs.
Maybe if they didn't give quite as many away, they would have snuck in.

the sanchez effect

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
the sanchez effect
You sure?

tPUU0Bs.jpg

Of course Sanchez did fumble 7 times & Nick only 4 times.

…..

Legend
(FWIW, Rams are -2 on turnover differential every year since 2012)

And each year I expect it to change. Dramatically.

This year is no different. Hoping the guys, in their 2 year with Williams, can start thinking less and playing more on instinct. Its something we haven't seen alot of yet but once we get to our 11 starters and key reserves I'm sure it will happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
so a difference of 4 turnovers? :cool:
Well, not exactly.

Sanchez fumbled 7 times, but recovered 3 of them. (-4)
Foles fumbled 4 times and recovered 1 of them. (-3)

So, a difference of 2 between ints and fumbles.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, not exactly.

Sanchez fumbled 7 times, but recovered 3 of them. (-4)
Foles fumbled 4 times and recovered 1 of them. (-3)

So, a difference of 2 between ints and fumbles.

But has Sanchez ever set the NFL record for TD/TO ratio?

R3ctIiN.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

LINK

Yeah timeliness or lack thereof seems to be the problem with the Rams' penalties because you do see penalized teams makin hay in the postseason every year. Seems like every big play the Rams offense comes up with, however, ends up coming back and often for some BS that wasn't even in the play or important to it.

So sometimes I think the Rams are just a dumb team. Then other times I suspect Fish preaches moronic penalties and the Rams are his faithful. And of course lastly there are the losses to division rivals when I find myself spiking the beer in the funnel...